Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Masks revisited

On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 10:23:24 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 15 Jun 2020 09:45:11 -0700, Bob F
wrote:

Two references for your thought

"The new coronavirus spreads mainly via airborne transmission and
wearing a mask is the most effective way to stop person-to person
spread, according to a new study.

A team of researchers in Texas and California compared Covid-19
infection rate trends in Italy and New York both before and after face
masks were made mandatory. Both locations started to see infection rates
flatten only after mandatory face mask measures were put in place,
according to the study published Thursday in the Proceedings of the
National Academy of Sciences.

The researchers calculated that wearing face masks prevented more than
78,000 infections in Italy between April 6 and May 9, and more than
66,000 infections in New York City between April 17 and May 9.

"Wearing of face masks in public corresponds to the most effective means

Interesting verb, "corresponds to". Why not "is"?

to prevent interhuman transmission, and this inexpensive practice, in
conjunction with simultaneous social distancing, quarantine, and contact
tracing, represents the most likely fighting opportunity to stop the
COVID-19 pandemic, prior to the development of a vaccine" they wrote."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/12/healt...rnd/index.html

"Face masks dont even have to work especially well to be effective"

That doesn't surprise me. All this talk about leaking around the edges
struck me as not likely to matter that much. Air that comes out the
edges goes sideways and air that comes in from the edges, that could be
a problem but at least it's 3 inches or more away from your nose and
mouth, where most people are looking when they talk to you.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...d-19-pandemic/

And pity the fool who is walking past you at the time.
That is the same as the Costco employees manning the doors wearing
clear lexan face shields. Their infection is going straight into your
cart while they are checking your receipt.
You can't use any real logic and have most of what I see going on make
any real sense.
I also see about a third of the people pulling their mask down to talk
because people can't hear them. That is bad on a couple levels. Not
the least of which is handling an infected mask then touching other
things.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 16 Jun 2020 15:56:43 -0400,
wrote:

"Face masks dont even have to work especially well to be effective"

That doesn't surprise me. All this talk about leaking around the edges
struck me as not likely to matter that much. Air that comes out the
edges goes sideways and air that comes in from the edges, that could be
a problem but at least it's 3 inches or more away from your nose and
mouth, where most people are looking when they talk to you.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...d-19-pandemic/

And pity the fool who is walking past you at the time.

Actually, I hold my breath when I walk past people, for their sake and
mine.

That is the same as the Costco employees manning the doors wearing
clear lexan face shields. Their infection is going straight into your
cart while they are checking your receipt.
You can't use any real logic and have most of what I see going on make
any real sense.
I also see about a third of the people pulling their mask down to talk
because people can't hear them. That is bad on a couple levels. Not
the least of which is handling an infected mask then touching other
things.

I haven't had the need to pull my mask down to talk, and when one of the
AC saleman did tthat, I asked him right away to put it back up and he
did.

I have a long history of complaining about those who ask questions at
meetings from the audience and don't talk loud enough for everyone to
hear. When I talk to a crowd, everyone can hear me, same when I have on
a mask. It's not hard to talk louder.