DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   cable modem dropping telephone calls (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/648723-cable-modem-dropping-telephone-calls.html)

Ralph Mowery May 1st 20 03:32 PM

cable modem dropping telephone calls

My landline phone is by a cable box. I get the internet and phone by
it. Could get TV but use Direct TV.

About once a week when I am on the phone the service breaks up so bad
that we can not use the phone. If I pull the power plug and then put it
back in we are good for another week or so.

The internet does not seem to be affected and works very well at over
200 mbps or whatever .

I am going to take the box back to the Spectrum prople once the virus
scare is over and ask for another one.

Has anyone else noticed this problem ?

Wade Garrett May 1st 20 05:46 PM

On 5/1/20 10:32 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

My landline phone is by a cable box. I get the internet and phone by
it. Could get TV but use Direct TV.

About once a week when I am on the phone the service breaks up so bad
that we can not use the phone. If I pull the power plug and then put it
back in we are good for another week or so.

The internet does not seem to be affected and works very well at over
200 mbps or whatever .

I am going to take the box back to the Spectrum prople once the virus
scare is over and ask for another one.

Has anyone else noticed this problem ?

Oh, I think it's part of a generalized low-level hinkiness seen across
many large scale systems caused by so many folks working from home-
systems engineers, techies, etc.- with only skeleton crews on hand in
many central facilities.

It's a credit to all of them- and the underlying technology- that things
are working as well as they are.

Keep the faith. When things simmer down, all will go back to normal...

--
I hope everybody is enjoying their 60 day free trial of communism.
- @ TimKennedy

Ralph Mowery May 1st 20 08:11 PM

cable modem dropping telephone calls

In article , says...

Oh, I think it's part of a generalized low-level hinkiness seen across
many large scale systems caused by so many folks working from home-
systems engineers, techies, etc.- with only skeleton crews on hand in
many central facilities.

It's a credit to all of them- and the underlying technology- that things
are working as well as they are.

Keep the faith. When things simmer down, all will go back to normal...

I don't think it is the increase in usage of the internet. This started
before Christmas. We don't use the land line that much so has not been
much of a problem. However now that the virus started up and our
children do not visit that much now we are starting to use the land line
more and it is getting to be more of a problem than a slight annoiance.

Clare Snyder May 1st 20 10:19 PM

cable modem dropping telephone calls

On Fri, 1 May 2020 12:46:31 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

[...]

Never had a problem with my OOMA

Neill Massello May 2nd 20 02:20 AM

Wade Garrett wrote:

Oh, I think it's part of a generalized low-level hinkiness seen across
many large scale systems caused by so many folks working from home-
systems engineers, techies, etc.- with only skeleton crews on hand in
many central facilities.

It's a credit to all of them- and the underlying technology- that things
are working as well as they are.

The Internet has truly come of age. It is now clearly indispensable and
has achieved reliability close if not equal to that of the old (POTS)
telephone system. Now if we just had politicians who would use it inform
themselves rather than just for propaganda purposes.

--
Eradicate SARS-CoV-2

micky May 2nd 20 08:54 AM

cable modem dropping telephone calls

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 1 May 2020 19:20:14 -0600,
(Neill Massello) wrote:

Wade Garrett wrote:

Oh, I think it's part of a generalized low-level hinkiness seen across
many large scale systems caused by so many folks working from home-
systems engineers, techies, etc.- with only skeleton crews on hand in
many central facilities.

It's a credit to all of them- and the underlying technology- that things
are working as well as they are.

The Internet has truly come of age.

Just in time for zoom meetings.

trader_4 May 2nd 20 01:44 PM

cable modem dropping telephone calls

On Friday, May 1, 2020 at 3:11:49 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

Oh, I think it's part of a generalized low-level hinkiness seen across
many large scale systems caused by so many folks working from home-
systems engineers, techies, etc.- with only skeleton crews on hand in
many central facilities.

It's a credit to all of them- and the underlying technology- that things
are working as well as they are.

Keep the faith. When things simmer down, all will go back to normal...

I don't think it is the increase in usage of the internet. This started
before Christmas. We don't use the land line that much so has not been
much of a problem. However now that the virus started up and our
children do not visit that much now we are starting to use the land line
more and it is getting to be more of a problem than a slight annoiance.

You could call the Spectrum people. These modems have diagnostic capability
and I would think they could do some diagnostic remotely, like loopback
testing, etc. It probably also has some history of errors that it holds
that they could read. It could be a modem/VOIP box problem, a cabling
problem, or something else. Maybe they are sending replacement swap outs
by mail, especially now.

Wade Garrett May 2nd 20 02:37 PM

cable modem dropping telephone calls

On 5/1/20 3:11 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

Oh, I think it's part of a generalized low-level hinkiness seen across
many large scale systems caused by so many folks working from home-
systems engineers, techies, etc.- with only skeleton crews on hand in
many central facilities.

It's a credit to all of them- and the underlying technology- that things
are working as well as they are.

Keep the faith. When things simmer down, all will go back to normal...

I don't think it is the increase in usage of the internet. This started
before Christmas. We don't use the land line that much so has not been
much of a problem. However now that the virus started up and our
children do not visit that much now we are starting to use the land line
more and it is getting to be more of a problem than a slight annoiance.

I wasn't clear enough in my post.

The problem isn't so much increased traffic due to folks working from
home- but that the engineers, QC folks and systems people are working
from home rather than being in the office/data centers. I think this is
what's reducing overall reliability and performance.