Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Why did drainpipes used to have a box on the wall?

On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 10:12:50 +0100, wrote:

On Tuesday, 21 April 2020 09:42:53 UTC+1, Xeno wrote:
On 20/4/20 6:23 am, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 19/04/2020 21:18, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 20:54:44 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 19/04/2020 20:31, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 20:29:37 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 19/04/2020 20:20, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 20:12:10 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ...
wrote:

On 19/04/2020 19:28, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why did drainpipes used to have a box on the wall, some sort of
overflow
if blocked? See link below for an example photo.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1jry8zas14bmivc/box.jpg?dl=0
yip hopper heads were for that function and others....usually in the
days of three pipe systems foul waste and rainwater....then again
cast
iron rainwater downpipes weren't usually cocked if they were for
rainwater only and if the drain blocked the water ****ed out of the
first joint above ground......

What's the advantage of your waste spilling all over the garden
instead
of just not leaving the bath?
what ? ...

If the pipe is blocked and you empty your bath, then if you have a box,
the water goes everywhere outside. If you have no box, the bath just
stays full and you call a plumber. The second one is preferable
obviously.

In a one pipe combined drainage system where there is no storm water
sewer and if the drain blocks underground and it is raining the water
will back up and will come up the lowest appliance the bath if the
rainwater is into the top of the SVP ....you will have a flood in the
house big time... would like to see you bailing out the bath quicker
than the water backs up into it .......the best way is to take the

In this country (Aus) the sullage and the sewerage are kept separate.
The sullage lines go out into the street stormwater drains. They are
*not allowed* to be connected to the sewerage lines. The sewerage lines,
using separate pipes, are plumbed into the sewerage system. If the
sullage were connected to the sewerage, the sewerage treatment plants
get flooded bigtime because when it rains here it really ****es down.

rainwater down in its own downpipe to ground level and trap it off into
the combined drain with a vented trap ...then if the underground drain
blocks the rainwater will come out the trap at ground level..... two
pipe systems don't have a vented rainwater trap and the rainwater
downpipe joints are not usually cocked......to be honest hoppers were
just convenient ways of taking pipes from various beaks in the roof to
one downpipe...preferably NOT the SVP for the above reason....sorry I
didn't understand your question ...still don't but HTH ....

Good point, I hadn't thought of roof water going into the sinks and
baths.
that's OK .....nobody does we always tried to discourage builders from
sticking rainwater into the top of an SVP but couldn't stop them doing
it ... we could where it was a two pipe system though.....

I suppose we use what you would call a two pipe system. There is talk
here of introducing a new third pipe for greywater. That is, water that
comes from baths, sinks, showers, etc. as opposed to sewerage from
toilets. Difficult to retrofit of course but new estates are likely to
be plumbed this way in the near future.

This country is in fact the UK, hence the uk in uk.d-i-y, and we don't do things that way. Millions of old houses put the whole lot down the sewage system.

alt.home.repair is in America you fool, it's sent to two newsgroups.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0jfq8biwwdg98l@glass...
I suppose we use what you would call a two pipe system. There is talk
here of introducing a new third pipe for greywater. That is, water that
comes from baths, sinks, showers, etc. as opposed to sewerage from
toilets. Difficult to retrofit of course but new estates are likely to
be plumbed this way in the near future.

My parents have a holiday cottage in a tiny village that has no mains
drainage. All the houses have their own septic tank (two-chamber sewage
treatment unit that does more than just store the sewage, as happens with a
cesspit). However to reduce the amount of water that goes into the septic
tank, all the grey water is piped to a communal "land drain" that discharges
into a nearby stream. I'm sure that arrangement contravenes almost every
health and safety and environmental law known to man!

Do many houses have a rainwater drain in the street? I thought that usual
arrangement was for there to be a soakaway under the lawn for rainwater, so
the rainwater and grey/sewage water never mixed. As far as I know, our house
doesn't put rainwater into the septic tank, but pipes it into the same
soakaway under the lawn that is used for the outflow of treated sewage water
from the septic tank.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 10:17:48 +0100, NY, the really endlessly blathering,
notorious, troll-feeding, senile asshole, blathered, yet again:

My parents have a holiday cottage

Oh, no! Not yet more endless senile blather!

FLUSH
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"NY" wrote in message
[...]

More than half of ours do. And still do. I have been watching
the installation of services in our new subdivisions, what you
lot call an estate. because a mate of mine is having a new
house built on one.

I thought that usual arrangement was for there to be a soakaway under the
lawn for rainwater,

That is done here when the block is downhill of the
road but not when the house is uphill of the road.
And you can see that on the street view of our
streets. The rainwater pipe into the gutter stands
out like dogs balls if you know what to look for.

so the rainwater and grey/sewage water never mixed.

That's certainly what is legal here, but a few flout the law.

As far as I know, our house doesn't put rainwater into the septic tank,

Yeah, that's a very bad way to do a septic tank.

but pipes it into the same soakaway under the lawn that is used for the
outflow of treated sewage water from the septic tank.

Yeah, that's very common.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 22/04/2020 10:17, NY wrote:
[...]

The replacement of all in one drain systems by 'rain into local
buffering via soakaways or flood ponds' and 'all grey water and sewage
to be treated', has been gradually implemented over the last 50 years or
more.

There is a massive benefit in terms of flood and hygiene control from
buffering rainwater as near to where it falls as possible. or, failing
that, to get it into the natural ditch/stream/river/sea drainage systems
as fast as possible. The last thing you want to do with it is mix it
with sewage needing treatment and risk raw sewage mixing with flood
water or overwhelming treatment plants.

There is an argument that grey water might be treated separately, but in
the end a three way system is a bit too complex, and there is no telling
how many people pee in the shower, or flush rotting food down the sink.

private property.

Karl Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 19:56:04 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

More than half of ours do.

"Ours"? Is that Australia? Then "discuss" it in an Australian ng, you
86-year-old Australian asshole troll!

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Apr 2020 10:17:48 +0100, NY wrote:

[...]

Every time I've walked near a septic tank it has stunk to high heaven. They're a disgusting invention.

Do many houses have a rainwater drain in the street?

I thought all streets had those - where do you think the rainwater goes that flows off the road?

I thought the usual arrangement was for there to be a soakaway under the lawn for rainwater,

Soakaways don't work, not in Scotland anyway. The land is already waterlogged, you can't shove more into it.

so the rainwater and grey/sewage water never mixed.

How would a soakaway prevent that? Every house I know of (apart form old ones where it's all one pipe) have to pipes, one goes into the rainwater drains and meets up with water flowing off the road, and the other gets treated. Rain into the rivers, grey and brown into the sewage treatment plant. All a soakaway would do is to put less into the rainwater system which goes straight into a river anyway.

As far as I know, our house
doesn't put rainwater into the septic tank, but pipes it into the same
soakaway under the lawn that is used for the outflow of treated sewage water
from the septic tank.

You must have a huge lawn. I couldn't soak that much water away. The lawn is already full of rainwater that landed directly on it, you can't add more to that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0jhl0zmgwdg98l@glass...
[...]

You have no idea how many you have walked near that havent.

They're a disgusting invention.

Better than a cess pit, stupid.

Do many houses have a rainwater drain in the street?

I thought all streets had those - where do you think the rainwater goes
that flows off the road?

That's not HOUSES stupid.

Bull****.

The land is already waterlogged, you can't shove more into it.

Bull****.

so the rainwater and grey/sewage water never mixed.

How would a soakaway prevent that?

You put the grey water into the soakaway
and the **** and **** into the sewer, stupid.

Every house I know of (apart form old ones where it's all one pipe) have
to pipes, one goes into the rainwater drains and meets up with water
flowing off the road, and the other gets treated. Rain into the rivers,
grey and brown into the sewage treatment plant. All a soakaway would do
is to put less into the rainwater system which goes straight into a river
anyway.

As far as I know, our house doesn't put rainwater into the septic tank,
but pipes it into the same soakaway under the lawn that is used for the
outflow of treated sewage water from the septic tank.

You must have a huge lawn. I couldn't soak that much water away.

It must have done before the house was there.

The lawn is already full of rainwater that landed directly on it, you
can't add more to that.

Wrong, as always.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 04:36 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 04:36:18 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

04:36??? LOL So for HOW long have you been up and trolling this night in
Australia already, senile Australian arsehole? I'll soon find out! LOL

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 22/04/2020 19:08, Commander Kinsey wrote:
[...]

In the near of Scotland puddle clay is just under the vegitable soil
that's why....

https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 07:53:51 +0100, Dim GM4DHJ ... the brain dead,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered again:

YOU'd better worry about all the clay (i.e. ****) you got for brains, Dim!