DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Concrete stamping (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/64793-concrete-stamping.html)

C1gmlm August 12th 04 03:01 AM

Concrete stamping

I am thinking of doing a patio slab and stamping it. What are the do's and
don'ts of this project?

Rich August 12th 04 05:47 AM

Concrete stamping

"C1gmlm" wrote in message
I am thinking of doing a patio slab and stamping it. What are the do's and
don'ts of this project?

Do a good job, don't do a bad one! Simple as that...sorry couldn't resist!

wegge August 12th 04 11:31 AM

Concrete stamping

We just completed a a 20' X 30' patio with stamped concrete done in
brown. The idiots ran out of brown release agent and finished 1/3 of it
in gray. After I screamed and hollered they came back and recolored the
whole thing in brown and sealed it at no cost to me. It actually looks
pretty good now. We like it now quite a lot.

DanG August 12th 04 12:03 PM

Concrete stamping

If you are talking about performing the work yourself, I think you
should reconsider.

The learning curve and the cost of the stamps would be prohibitive
for one pour.

There is a good source of information that can answer many of your
questions he

http://www.thestampstore.com/

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

Chet Hayes August 12th 04 01:27 PM

Concrete stamping

"Rich" wrote in message ...
"C1gmlm" wrote in message
I am thinking of doing a patio slab and stamping it. What are the do's and
don'ts of this project?

Do a good job, don't do a bad one! Simple as that...sorry couldn't resist!

This is one job I'd leave to a professional. Without experience and a
crew, how good do you expect your first job to be? And this is
something that is time critical, you get one shot, and once you start
you can't take a few days to fools around with it

Earl August 12th 04 07:06 PM

Concrete stamping

I am thinking of doing a patio slab and stamping it. What are the do's and
don'ts of this project?

We had a concrete stamping done in our sunroom - my advice, is do a
two tone grey color. All concrete cracks at some point. With the
grey, the cracks blend in and look like part of the design. In our
case, we got one crack a year or two after installation down the
middle of the room. For the most part, it follows the simulated
grout/mortar lines and you can't see it at all. In a couple spots, it
crosses the middle of a simulated block - ...you really can't tell
unless it's pointed out to you. With a light colored tint (brown,
tan, etc) I think the crack would really stick out and be noticeable.
Certainly have it sealed and don't take shortcuts on the pad itself
(rebar, mesh, good footer below frost line, etc).

In the end - I love the stamped concrete - maintenance free, looks
great, and tough as concrete (haha).
God bless,
Earl

Charles Bishop August 16th 04 03:54 PM

The stove is 220 volts. Can I run #12 wire from the #10 wire in the box to
a separate box for the microwave? I thought I had seen this done
elsewhere, but then wondered what would trip the 30A breaker if there was
a problem with the microwave.

charles

Charles Bishop August 16th 04 05:10 PM

In article ,
(HA HA Budys Here) wrote:

From:
tt (Charles Bishop)

The stove is 220 volts. Can I run #12 wire from the #10 wire in the box to
a separate box for the microwave? I thought I had seen this done
elsewhere, but then wondered what would trip the 30A breaker if there was
a problem with the microwave.

charles

No you can not. Ideally, a built-in microwave should be on it's own 20a
circuit. You can share that 20a circuit with one of your 2 20a countertop
appliance circuits, but using the microwave along with a toaster and coffee pot
would overload the circuit.

Thanks, that's what I suspected. Too bad the mfg can't put it on a
separate circuit inside the unit, but then there wouldn't be enough power
for the stove, if they were used at the same time.

charles

SQLit August 16th 04 06:34 PM

From: tt (Charles Bishop)

The stove is 220 volts. Can I run #12 wire from the #10 wire in the box

a separate box for the microwave? I thought I had seen this done
elsewhere, but then wondered what would trip the 30A breaker if there was
a problem with the microwave.

charles

No you can not. Ideally, a built-in microwave should be on it's own 20a
circuit. You can share that 20a circuit with one of your 2 20a countertop
appliance circuits, but using the microwave along with a toaster and

coffee pot
would overload the circuit.

Fixed appliances need their own circuit. Dishwasher, disposal, microwave,
refrigerator.
The counter top recpts are for general use. If you decide to ignore the NEC
just remember if you have the microwave on and plug something into the
outlet with a good load the breaker might trip.

jeff August 16th 04 07:21 PM

tt (Charles Bishop) wrote in message ...
The stove is 220 volts. Can I run #12 wire from the #10 wire in the box to
a separate box for the microwave? I thought I had seen this done
elsewhere, but then wondered what would trip the 30A breaker if there was
a problem with the microwave.

charles

Hi,

A copy:

*Microwave - 110 - 120 volt, 60 hertz, properly grounded circuit
protected by a 15/20 amp circuit breaker or fuse. #14 gauge house wire
minimum for 15 amp protection, #12 gauge is a must for 20 amp
protection. A separate (--dedicated--) circuit serving this appliance
is recommended.*

The microwave should not be wired in the with the range. The microwave
-may- be plugged into the kettle plug on the range.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Rich August 16th 04 07:24 PM

Do these thing go bad over time? I have one in mu masterbath room that
is constantly tripping. It doens't trip when its in use it trips
sometime during the night or during the day when no one is around?

Thanks, Rich

Mortimer Schnerd, RN August 16th 04 08:06 PM

Rich wrote:
Do these thing go bad over time? I have one in mu masterbath room that
is constantly tripping. It doens't trip when its in use it trips
sometime during the night or during the day when no one is around?

I had one in my bathroom that would trip every now and then for no apparent
reason and then be very difficult to reset. When I went to replace it, I found
it had been wired incorrectly to start with. Works great now...

Go ahead and replace it.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Charles Bishop August 16th 04 08:29 PM

In article ye6Uc.47465$Lj.17915@fed1read03, "SQLit"

From: tt (Charles Bishop)

The stove is 220 volts. Can I run #12 wire from the #10 wire in the box to
a separate box for the microwave? I thought I had seen this done
elsewhere, but then wondered what would trip the 30A breaker if there was
a problem with the microwave.

charles

[snip anouther answer]

Fixed appliances need their own circuit. Dishwasher, disposal, microwave,
refrigerator.
The counter top recpts are for general use. If you decide to ignore the NEC
just remember if you have the microwave on and plug something into the
outlet with a good load the breaker might trip.

I checked this morning and the general outlet I'm going to use is on the
same circuit with the dining room outlets, not the rest of the kitchen
outlets. I'm relative sure (it's 20A) that she won't have anything else
plugged in that will be enough to trip the breaker if the uwave is on.

It turns out that the reason she thought it was possible was that someone
else did it in a unit down the hall.

charles, thanks for the help

David Alexander September 6th 04 05:18 PM

Don't try to do it yourself. Do hire a professional who has the tools and
the expertise to do it right.