Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Airplane travel, rentacars in the 50's

Just saw an unusual episode of Jack Benny (on Antenna TV), unusual
because the sets not the stage and his home but were a taxicab and the
LA airport. He's going to NYC for an advertisers convention, which seems
like a charming note of realism.

Two interesting things: His plane is delayed an hour and 20 minutes,
and he wants an earlier plane. Surprisingly IMO, there are two, flight
19 which is 120 dollars and flight 18 which is 20 dollars. Why so
little, Jack asks. Flight 18 is U-fly. So I guess in the 50's
rentacars were called U-drive, at least in California.

To choose seats, they had a floor plan of the plane set up with hooks
for each seat and tags hanging from the hooks, which passengers could
remove in order to pick their seat. I never flew anywhere until 1966,
but even though this is a comedy show, I guess this was how passengers
picked their seats in the 50's.

Does anyone remember stuff like this from those days?

"How do I find my U drive?" "The U: drive has now replaced the C: drive
on the majority of computers connected to the cloud," LOL

But U-Haul is still around.