MAG

Default Help! I screwed up while caulking!

Hi folks-

The tub installation and retiling job is nearly complete. Today I
caulked the two vertical wall seams and around the four soap-dish-shelf
things in the corners with "Color Caulk" sanded latex caulk.

Short story: I got the vertical seams OK, but around the tile-to-
soapdish joins it looks AWFUL. I think I want to remove as much caulk
as possible from the soapdish area, and re-caulk with clear silicone
sealant.

At first I thought I could scrape it away while still wet, and to some
extent I can, but it started smearing all over and making a mess. A
worse mess, that is. In the process I got some in the nearby grout
seams. The caulk is a lighter color than the grout and so the smeared
caulk looks bad there.

Any tips for cleaning up the mess?

I'm figuring to wait until it is reasonably dry, then go in with a razor
knive and cut / scrape out as much as possible. But I'm not sure how to
fix the grout seams that have been contaminated. The grout was sealed
with TileLab Penetrating sealant (earlier today).

What do you think? Dremel tool? Solvent of some sort?

Help!

Marc

cm

Marc,

If you really want a mess use silicone. That stuff is horrible to clean up
wet or dry. IMHO It's way over-rated when you weigh its good and bad points.

AZCRAIG