DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Will this tool break up a blig blob of cement/concrete? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/644236-re-will-tool-break-up-blig-blob-cement-concrete.html)

Clare Snyder February 4th 20 04:15 PM

Will this tool break up a blig blob of cement/concrete?

On Tue, 4 Feb 2020 06:01:45 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 2/3/20 10:38 PM, wrote:

How old is this concrete? You might just need one of these
https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/bef8551f-99b2-49a2-94cb-90812a329bb1/svn/wilton-sledge-hammers-22036-64_1000.jpg

That looks too much like work and it doesn't make nearly enough
noise.

It was very effective at knocking out 50 year old box stalls when I
was a 14 year old kid. The sledge hammer weighed half as much as I
did, and the concrete was pretty high strength stuff.

TimR[_2_] February 4th 20 04:25 PM

Will this tool break up a blig blob of cement/concrete?

Got any neighborhood kids?

Post a message, FB or whatever they use. $20 says you can't break this chunk in less than 30 minutes. All pieces must fit in a one gallon bucket. $2 extra per minute under 30.

micky February 4th 20 10:51 PM

Will this tool break up a blig blob of cement/concrete?

Clare, what are box stalls?

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 4 Feb 2020 08:25:55 -0800 (PST), TimR
wrote:

Got any neighborhood kids?

Post a message, FB or whatever they use. $20 says you can't break this chunk in less than 30 minutes. All pieces must fit in a one gallon bucket. $2 extra per minute under 30.

N'hood kids are a good idea.

And the incentive idea is good.

OTOH, alas, I won't be able to make the bystanders wear goggles and I'll
be liable when a piece of cement flies into someone's eye.

And I can't let them use the power drill.

But I've got other chores kids could do.

TimR[_2_] February 5th 20 04:41 PM

wrote:

Got any neighborhood kids?

Post a message, FB or whatever they use. $20 says you can't break this chunk in less than 30 minutes. All pieces must fit in a one gallon bucket. $2 extra per minute under 30.

N'hood kids are a good idea.

And the incentive idea is good.

OTOH, alas, I won't be able to make the bystanders wear goggles and I'll
be liable when a piece of cement flies into someone's eye.

And I can't let them use the power drill.

But I've got other chores kids could do.

Dig hole next to it.

Tip concrete into the hole.

Problem solved.

Oh wait, now we have a pile of dirt. Okay, dig another hole. Throw dirt into it.

Problem solved.

Oh wait..................

[email protected] February 5th 20 10:24 PM

Will this tool break up a blig blob of cement/concrete?

wrote:

Got any neighborhood kids?

Post a message, FB or whatever they use. $20 says you can't break this chunk in less than 30 minutes. All pieces must fit in a one gallon bucket. $2 extra per minute under 30.

N'hood kids are a good idea.

And the incentive idea is good.

OTOH, alas, I won't be able to make the bystanders wear goggles and I'll
be liable when a piece of cement flies into someone's eye.

And I can't let them use the power drill.

But I've got other chores kids could do.

Dig hole next to it.

Tip concrete into the hole.

Problem solved.

Oh wait, now we have a pile of dirt. Okay, dig another hole. Throw dirt into it.

Problem solved.

Oh wait..................

Or just rake the dirt out and let nature take it away.

Jim Joyce February 5th 20 11:33 PM

wrote:

Got any neighborhood kids?

Post a message, FB or whatever they use. $20 says you can't break this chunk in less than 30 minutes. All pieces must fit in a one gallon bucket. $2 extra per minute under 30.

N'hood kids are a good idea.

And the incentive idea is good.

OTOH, alas, I won't be able to make the bystanders wear goggles and I'll
be liable when a piece of cement flies into someone's eye.

And I can't let them use the power drill.

But I've got other chores kids could do.

Dig hole next to it.

Tip concrete into the hole.

Problem solved.

Oh wait, now we have a pile of dirt. Okay, dig another hole. Throw dirt into it.

Problem solved.

Oh wait..................

Or just rake the dirt out and let nature take it away.

Wasn't there a movie where they solved this problem by filling their
pockets with dirt, then slowly letting it fall down inside their pant legs
as they walked around the prison compound. Stalag 17?

Ralph Mowery February 6th 20 12:39 AM

Will this tool break up a blig blob of cement/concrete?

In article ,
lid says...

Wasn't there a movie where they solved this problem by filling their
pockets with dirt, then slowly letting it fall down inside their pant legs
as they walked around the prison compound. Stalag 17?

The 'Great Escape'.

Ralph Mowery February 6th 20 12:40 AM

Will this tool break up a blig blob of cement/concrete?

In article ,
says...
Post a message, FB or whatever they use. $20 says you can't break this chunk in less than 30 minutes. All pieces must fit in a one gallon bucket. $2 extra per minute under 30.

N'hood kids are a good idea.

And the incentive idea is good.

OTOH, alas, I won't be able to make the bystanders wear goggles and I'll
be liable when a piece of cement flies into someone's eye.

And I can't let them use the power drill.

But I've got other chores kids could do.

If it was near a road you could put a for sale sign on for $ 100 and it
would probably be stolen.

Jim Joyce February 6th 20 02:00 AM

Will this tool break up a blig blob of cement/concrete?

On Wed, 5 Feb 2020 19:39:25 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Wasn't there a movie where they solved this problem by filling their
pockets with dirt, then slowly letting it fall down inside their pant legs
as they walked around the prison compound. Stalag 17?

The 'Great Escape'.

Thanks!

micky February 10th 20 02:38 PM

Will this tool break up a blig blob of cement/concrete?

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 05 Feb 2020 20:00:11 -0600, Jim Joyce
wrote:

On Wed, 5 Feb 2020 19:39:25 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Wasn't there a movie where they solved this problem by filling their
pockets with dirt, then slowly letting it fall down inside their pant legs
as they walked around the prison compound. Stalag 17?

The 'Great Escape'.

Thanks!

I think in Stalag 17, they stored a lot in the rafters of their
building.

IIRC that movie led to Hogan's Heroes.

Ralph Mowery February 10th 20 04:43 PM

Will this tool break up a blig blob of cement/concrete?

In article ,
says...

The 'Great Escape'.

Thanks!

I think in Stalag 17, they stored a lot in the rafters of their
building.

IIRC that movie led to Hogan's Heroes.

I have not seem Stalag 17. I do remember Hogan's Hereos.

In the Great Escape they did store it in the rafters above. I remember
one scene where they were discussing where to get wood to shore up the
tunnels. One place was to remove some of the slats of the bunks that
hold the materesses. A man jumped to the top bunk and fell to the
floor as the top and bottom slats broke as there were only 2 or 3
instead of all of them.

Jim Joyce February 10th 20 05:01 PM

Will this tool break up a blig blob of cement/concrete?

wrote:

On Wed, 5 Feb 2020 19:39:25 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Wasn't there a movie where they solved this problem by filling their
pockets with dirt, then slowly letting it fall down inside their pant legs
as they walked around the prison compound. Stalag 17?

The 'Great Escape'.

Thanks!

I think in Stalag 17, they stored a lot in the rafters of their
building.

IIRC that movie led to Hogan's Heroes.

I've queued up both The Great Escape and Stalag 17 for my next movie night.
As I recall, both are excellent.

Hogan's Heroes is also one of my favorites, although I'm currently in
burnout mode. MEtv has been airing two episodes every weeknight for as many
years as I can remember, so I've pretty much got the dialog down pat by
now.

TimR[_2_] February 10th 20 08:20 PM

On Monday, February 10, 2020 at 12:02:00 PM UTC-5, Jim Joyce wrote:

Hogan's Heroes is also one of my favorites, although I'm currently in
burnout mode. MEtv has been airing two episodes every weeknight for as many
years as I can remember, so I've pretty much got the dialog down pat by
now.

Weirdly, when we lived in Germany, Hogan's Heroes played daily on one of the local German channels. Dubbed of course.

Jim Joyce February 10th 20 11:04 PM

On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 12:20:25 -0800 (PST), TimR wrote:

On Monday, February 10, 2020 at 12:02:00 PM UTC-5, Jim Joyce wrote:

Hogan's Heroes is also one of my favorites, although I'm currently in
burnout mode. MEtv has been airing two episodes every weeknight for as many
years as I can remember, so I've pretty much got the dialog down pat by
now.

Weirdly, when we lived in Germany, Hogan's Heroes played daily on one of the local German channels. Dubbed of course.

When I lived over there, the only TV we watched was a tiny bit of AFN/AFRTS
to get American shows, commercial free, and on Sunday evenings RTL
Luxembourg had a game show where the women frequently ended up topless. We
had no idea how the game worked but the results were good.

Two of my sisters have been living in Germany for 40+ years now. If I think
of it, the next time I talk to either of them I'll have to ask if they've
seen Hogan's Heroes.