Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3-way switch: which one is common?

I have a three-way switch. The terminals are arranged in a top-down
fashion. Which one is the common? Can I assume the middle one being the
common? Any way to test?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2020 10:32 PM, Oumati Asami wrote:
I have a three-way switch. The terminals are arranged in a top-down
fashion. Which one is the common? Can I assume the middle one being the
common? Any way to test?

Is one of the screws a different color or other marking? Like two brass
and a black or silver? There is also the green ground, of course.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 10:02:37 +0630, Oumati Asami
wrote:

I have a three-way switch. The terminals are arranged in a top-down
fashion. Which one is the common? Can I assume the middle one being the
common? Any way to test?

If you need to ask how to test you shoouldn't be anywhere close to
it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 5, 2020 at 10:32:45 PM UTC-5, Oumati Asami wrote:
I have a three-way switch. The terminals are arranged in a top-down
fashion. Which one is the common? Can I assume the middle one being the
common? Any way to test?

The common terminal is connected to one terminal with the switch in
one position and the other terminal with it in the opposite position.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/01/20 19:51, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, January 5, 2020 at 10:32:45 PM UTC-5, Oumati Asami wrote:
I have a three-way switch. The terminals are arranged in a top-down
fashion. Which one is the common? Can I assume the middle one being the
common? Any way to test?

The common terminal is connected to one terminal with the switch in
one position and the other terminal with it in the opposite position.

Thanks for the info. So, the middle one makes sense. I'll check it with
a multimeter later.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 6, 2020 at 9:06:53 AM UTC-5, Oumati Asami wrote:
On 06/01/20 19:51, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, January 5, 2020 at 10:32:45 PM UTC-5, Oumati Asami wrote:
I have a three-way switch. The terminals are arranged in a top-down
fashion. Which one is the common? Can I assume the middle one being the
common? Any way to test?

The common terminal is connected to one terminal with the switch in
one position and the other terminal with it in the opposite position.

Thanks for the info. So, the middle one makes sense. I'll check it with
a multimeter later.

No, you can't judge by the physical position of the terminal. Different models do it differently.

(The first time I replaced a 3 way, I compared the new switch to the old one and swapped the wires the same way. Nope, that was wrong. On one switch the common was middle, on the other it was not.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/01/20 19:44, TimR wrote:
[...]

OK. Time to check it with a multimeter.