Posted to alt.home.repair

Default turkey sizes

Have the size of turkeys gone down in the last 5 to 10 years ?

For about the last 5 years we have been getting smoked/bar-b-que turkeys
from several sources. Some from a restraunt and some from places that
fix them for fund raisers, like the volunteer fire departments.

Each year they seem to get smaller. This year the one I picked up today
was not much larger than a good size chicken. The wife had to go to
the grocery store and buy another and cook it herself just so we would
have enough for 6 people.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 23:17:13 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

Have the size of turkeys gone down in the last 5 to 10 years ?

For about the last 5 years we have been getting smoked/bar-b-que turkeys
from several sources. Some from a restraunt and some from places that
fix them for fund raisers, like the volunteer fire departments.

Each year they seem to get smaller. This year the one I picked up today
was not much larger than a good size chicken. The wife had to go to
the grocery store and buy another and cook it herself just so we would
have enough for 6 people.

One of two things is happening. Either the price is going up or the
size is going down - or both.

In order to APPEAR to not being increasing prices they just sell you a
smaller bird. The bigger you grow a bird the more it costs per lb.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 28, 2019 at 8:07:32 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 11:00:09 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 11/28/2019 9:55 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...
One of two things is happening. Either the price is going up or the
size is going down - or both.

In order to APPEAR to not being increasing prices they just sell you a
smaller bird. The bigger you grow a bird the more it costs per lb.

Sure that is the way it always works .

I don't mind paying more if that is what it takes. Looks like next time
if we go the same route we will need to put in for 2 turkeys.

I suspect the only problem is your shopping date (and possibly
location). Any sizable grocery before Thanksgiving will have a large
selection of all sizes from small to truly humongous...but pickings can
be fairly slim by the last couple of days before the actual day.

They're all priced by the pound with premiums for precooked, breast
only, etc, etc., etc., rather than just a plain whole bird.

They make turkey so cheap at thanksgiving, if you really like them you
should buy several and leave them in the freezer. They were 49 cents a
pound here.

A turkey is free here at Shoprite, if you spend $400 in about the previous
three weeks. It used to be just $300 until a few years ago.

And I agree with DPB, turkeys of all sizes are available at all the
supermarkets here, unless maybe if you wait until the very last day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 11:17:23 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
Have the size of turkeys gone down in the last 5 to 10 years ?

For about the last 5 years we have been getting smoked/bar-b-que turkeys
from several sources. Some from a restraunt and some from places that
fix them for fund raisers, like the volunteer fire departments.

Each year they seem to get smaller. This year the one I picked up today
was not much larger than a good size chicken. The wife had to go to
the grocery store and buy another and cook it herself just so we would
have enough for 6 people.

Families and holiday gatherings are smaller. People desire smaller
turkeys. The marketplace is responding to demand.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2019 11:17 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Have the size of turkeys gone down in the last 5 to 10 years ?

For about the last 5 years we have been getting smoked/bar-b-que turkeys
from several sources. Some from a restraunt and some from places that
fix them for fund raisers, like the volunteer fire departments.

Each year they seem to get smaller. This year the one I picked up today
was not much larger than a good size chicken. The wife had to go to
the grocery store and buy another and cook it herself just so we would
have enough for 6 people.

Don't worry, the turkey still has plenty of residual growth hormones in it so you'll still gain weight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2019 7:52 AM, Bod F wrote:
On 11/27/2019 11:17 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Have the size of turkeys gone down in the last 5 to 10 years ?

For about the last 5 years we have been getting smoked/bar-b-que turkeys
from several sources. Some from a restraunt and some from places that
fix them for fund raisers, like the volunteer fire departments.

Each year they seem to get smaller.Â* This year the one I picked up today
was not much larger than a good size chicken.Â*Â* The wife had to go to
the grocery store and buy another and cook it herself just so we would
have enough for 6 people.

Don't worry, the turkey still has plenty of residual growth hormones in
it so you'll still gain weight.

Here's how to fix it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qZHJ0LM3uQ
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2019 9:05 AM, Frank wrote:
On 11/28/2019 7:52 AM, Bod F wrote:
On 11/27/2019 11:17 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Have the size of turkeys gone down in the last 5 to 10 years ?

For about the last 5 years we have been getting smoked/bar-b-que turkeys
from several sources. Some from a restraunt and some from places that
fix them for fund raisers, like the volunteer fire departments.

Each year they seem to get smaller.Â* This year the one I picked up today
was not much larger than a good size chicken.Â*Â* The wife had to go to
the grocery store and buy another and cook it herself just so we would
have enough for 6 people.

Don't worry, the turkey still has plenty of residual growth hormones in it so you'll still gain weight.

Here's how to fix it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qZHJ0LM3uQ

How To 'Fix' Your Mother-In-Law by Wilford Brimley

--
Get off my lawn!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2019 10:12 AM, Grumpy Old White Guy wrote:
[...]

This was apparently the original stuffing your turkey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbtu9sF5Kr0

I think they did it different every year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 07:52:12 -0500, Bod F wrote:

On 11/27/2019 11:17 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Have the size of turkeys gone down in the last 5 to 10 years ?

For about the last 5 years we have been getting smoked/bar-b-que turkeys
from several sources. Some from a restraunt and some from places that
fix them for fund raisers, like the volunteer fire departments.

Each year they seem to get smaller. This year the one I picked up today
was not much larger than a good size chicken. The wife had to go to
the grocery store and buy another and cook it herself just so we would
have enough for 6 people.

Don't worry, the turkey still has plenty of residual growth hormones in it so you'll still gain weight.

Maybe that's why our is 23 lbs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2019 9:34 AM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 07:52:12 -0500, Bod F wrote:

On 11/27/2019 11:17 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
Have the size of turkeys gone down in the last 5 to 10 years ?

For about the last 5 years we have been getting smoked/bar-b-que turkeys
from several sources. Some from a restraunt and some from places that
fix them for fund raisers, like the volunteer fire departments.

Each year they seem to get smaller. This year the one I picked up today
was not much larger than a good size chicken. The wife had to go to
the grocery store and buy another and cook it herself just so we would
have enough for 6 people.

Don't worry, the turkey still has plenty of residual growth hormones in it so you'll still gain weight.

Maybe that's why our is 23 lbs.

Your turkey hid in the barn last year...but they got him this year.

--
Get off my lawn!