Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

Default Where do you source 35 Amp 220VAC circuit breakers that are NOT in typical box stores?

Where do you source circuit breakers that are NOT in typical box stores?
o Carling AA3-B0-24-635-5D1-C (do you have a decoder for that number?)

PG&E has currently cut the power to us in California where this is the 31st
sustained power outage in three years (of more than a day each, generally),
so my generator has been doing triple duty as the backup source of power.

Over time, this 35 amp ganged circuit breaker partially broke inside.
https://i.postimg.cc/ryNkQQvY/breaker03.jpg

It has "Carling Switch" molded on one side:
https://i.postimg.cc/G37D8Jq6/breaker01.jpg

And this barely readable paper label on the other side:
https://i.postimg.cc/vmTTdpdB/breaker02.jpg

The best I can make out from that data are these specs:
Carling Switch Inc.
AA2-B0-24-635-5D1-C
FL AMP 35
MAX VOLTS 227 (? hard to tell)
HERTZ 50/60
DELAY 04 (? hard to tell)
TRIP AMPS 43 (? hard to tell)
Mexico 9513 (probably the 13th week in 1995, likely original)

I called Generac's 24/7 live hotline, but they can't give me any more
information than the owners manual, parts diagram, and references
888-GENERAC (888-436-3722) extension 4, extension 2
1-262-544-4811 extension 1, extension 2, extension 4, extension 2

This is the relevant page out of that Generac Owners Manual they sent me:
https://i.postimg.cc/qq326cBh/Generac-Control-Panel-9067-9-16345-Page-19.jpg
o #5, Generac Part Number #74969, 35 Amp Circuit Breaker

Generac suggests these two outfits, who seem to charge astronomical prices:
o $137.07 https://www.jackssmallengines.com/
https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/generac-engine-part/g074969
o $233.45 https://www.ordertree.com/ (877) 500-7499 x1
https://www.ordertree.com/catalog/product/view/id/2072452/s/circt-brk-35-x-2-carling-2/

Hence, the basic question of how you source basic electrical parts.

--
Purposefully unhelpful posts from the usual trolls will be ignored.
(i.e., if there is no response to your post - that means you're a troll)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

On 10/27/19 4:08 PM, Arlen _G_ Holder wrote:
[ usual **** deleted ]

This is why you don't buy Generac equipment.

I used to be a service manage at a sales and service tool
store.

People would bring in a Generac for repair.
They would NOT give us service information or sell us parts.

We put them on the "**** you" list.

I bought a Honda 4500 watt generator 30 years ago. The only
service it's required is the battery, the air filter and the
oil.

As a friend of mine's brother-in-law succinctly put it, "Pay
****, get ****."

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 19:09:43 -0400, Bod F wrote:

On 10/27/2019 6:29 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...
I used to be a service manage at a sales and service tool
store.

People would bring in a Generac for repair.
They would NOT give us service information or sell us parts.

The government should make it a law the companies have to sell to
individuals the repair parts and service manuals if they have them.

Years ago I was with a friend at a boat warehouse picking up some parts.
A man wanted to buy a simple part,but they would not sell it to him as
he was not a dealer. We bought the part for the man and sold it to him
at our cost when he met us outside the warehouse.
Most places would have doubled the price to him.

What really hirts is if a big company buys lots of items at high dollars
and the manufactor goes out of busniness and they will not give or sell
you a manual on the equipment when you buy it.

I think Team Amazon is teaching all those "wholesale only" assholes a painful lesson.

If you are in ANY business, technically you can buy wholesale. I can't
buy anything that requires a gas fitter's licence or a refrigeration
licence (actually I can from a few wholesalers) but if I show my
businesscard I can buy pretty much anything else I might need through
my company. Automotive, small engine, electrical, plumbing,
electronics, building supplies - just about anything partly duer to
the structure / nature of my business and the way it is stated on my
card.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

On 10/27/19 4:08 PM, Arlen _G_ Holder wrote:
Carling AA3-B0-24-635-5D1-C

Captain Video decoder wheel:
https://www.carlingtech.com/sites/default/files/documents/Carling-HM-CB-A-Series.pdf

Page 37

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

On 10/27/19 5:08 PM, Arlen _G_ Holder wrote:
[...]

Have you tried any of Carlings distributors in CA ?

https://www.carlingtech.com/findarep?location=243

Part # decoder is on page 5 of
https://www.carlingtech.com/sites/de...B-A-Series.pdf

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/car...-16957461.html
says they have 3 in stock in AZ
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 17:44:02 -0400, "Retired wrote:

Have you tried any of Carlings distributors in CA ?
https://www.carlingtech.com/findarep?location=243

Thanks for posting with purposefully helpful intent, where, since it's
Sunday, I can call the nearest Carling folks on Monday morning.

I did bring it (and missing fuses) to stores that are open on weekends, but
Ace & Home Depot did not carry it (I didn't check Walmart or Lowes yet but
the Home Depot guys said to give up on the box stores because of the
specific shape of both the fuses and the shape of the circuit breaker):
o Shape of fuses (600V, 2A)
https://i.postimg.cc/MGb704vW/buss-sbs-2-600-V-fast-acting-fuse.jpg
o Shape of circuit breaker (35 Amp, 2 pole)
https://i.postimg.cc/T2FMp20V/breaker05.jpg

Where Generac seems to use "unique dimension" parts, kind of sort of on
purpose if this SBS fuse description is any indication of that observation:
https://www.ferrazfuses.com/cms_admin/fckeditor/editor/filemanager/connectors/php/bin/Midget%20Gen%20Pur%20SBS.pdf
Where half the "highlights" are that they have "unique dimensions!".

I guess "unique dimension" as a "highlight" is a wholesaler's dream!
o Buss SBS-2 (green label) "fast acting ferrule fuses" 600 Volt, 2 Amp
o https://bussfuses.net/ 800.739.9145 or 918.665.6888

These SBS-2 fuses are shown on page 17 of this transfer switch OM:
o #35 (Quantity 4 x two transfer switches = 8), FUSE 2A 600V PN: 73590
https://www.generator-parts.com/manuals/home-standby/078590.pdf

The problem is that neither Ace nor Home Depot carries them:
https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BBS-2-600V-Midget-Acting/dp/B00BHWLZO0

Where I admit I had to look up why it's a "ferrule" fuse:
o Ferrule is a word for a simple metal band or cap of great versatility.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ferrule

I called them, where it's a big company, Eaton, under Cooper Industries,
where the Bussman Fuses page is here 855-287-7626
http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/bussmann.html

Anyway, the fuses aren't my problem, but they do highlight the fact that
Generac uses parts whose "highlight" are that they have "unique
dimensions", which is why none of the box stores I checked carried them.

Since BUSS fuses are easy, and cheap (about ten bucks each), my issue isn't
the fuses but the circuit breaker, where you were helpful in finding good
information which I appreciate.

Part # decoder is on page 5 of
https://www.carlingtech.com/sites/de...B-A-Series.pdf

Thanks for that reference decoding Carling AA2-B0-24-635-5D1-C into
o AA2-B0-24-635-5D1-C https://i.postimg.cc/vmTTdpdB/breaker02.jpg
o A = (1) series = A
o A = (2) actuator = Handle, one per pole
o 2 = (3) poles = Two
o B = (4) circuit = Series Trip (Current)
o 0 = (5) Auxiliary/alarm switch = w/o Aux Switch
o 24 = (6) Frequency & Delay = 50/60 Hz, Medium
o 635 = (7) Current Rating (Amperes) = 35.000
o 5 = (8) Terminal = Screw 10-32 (Bus Type)
o D = (9) Actuator = ON-OFF, Actuator Color Black, Legend White
o 1 = (10) Mounting/Barriers = 6-32 x 0.195 inches, no
o C = (11) Agency Approval = UL Recognized & CSA Accepted
o AA2-B0-24-635-5D1-C

The rest of the printed specs are assumed (based on page 37):
o 277VAC 50/60 Hz, 80VDC
o 10,000 ON-OFF operations @ 6 per minute

The spec "delay" is "medium" where it's "04" on the package:
o DELAY 04

The only package spec not found in the document was this one:
o TRIP AMPS 43 (? hard to tell)

But where I can still make the following corrections to the OP table:
o Carling Switch Inc. https://i.postimg.cc/vmTTdpdB/breaker02.jpg
o AA2-B0-24-635-5D1-C
o FL AMP 35
o MAX VOLTS 277
o HERTZ 50/60
o DELAY 04 (? hard to tell)
o TRIP AMPS 43 (? hard to tell)
o Mexico 9513 (probably the 13th week in 1995, likely original)

Interesting is this note on page 37:
"All A-Series Circuit Breakers will trip on overload, even when
the actuator is forcibly held in the ON position."

https://www.onlinecomponents.com/car...-16957461.html
says they have 3 in stock in AZ

Thanks for finding that part with a price comparison point:
o $ 92.45 onlinecomponents.com
o $137.07 jackssmallengines.com
o $233.45 ordertree.com

Someone brought up we don't necessarily need to replace with the exact
part, which, after all, clearly failed before its 10,000 actuations
lifecycle; if I replace with an alternate part, it's good to know the specs
(but I'll likely buy the OE part for the obvious reasons).

--
As a service to the purposefully helpful posters, trolls will be ignored.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

In article ,
Arlen _G_ Holder wrote:

The best I can make out from that data are these specs:
Carling Switch Inc.
AA2-B0-24-635-5D1-C
FL AMP 35
MAX VOLTS 227 (? hard to tell)
HERTZ 50/60
DELAY 04 (? hard to tell)
TRIP AMPS 43 (? hard to tell)
Mexico 9513 (probably the 13th week in 1995, likely original)

Arlen-

Take the old breaker into an Ace Hardware Store. You want something
that has the same mounting and terminals, rated for 35 Amps and at least
240 Volts.

The 43 "TRIP" Amps would be nice, but is not the most important
parameter. Hopefully you do not normally run the generator close to its
limit.

I would not be surprised if Ace had the exact breaker for around $25.

Fred
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

Please ... go to HD, get a Square D breaker and rig it up. Duct tape if
you have to G

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D...35CP/202495818

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 21:08:05 -0000 (UTC), Arlen _G_ Holder
wrote:

Carling AA3-B0-24-635-5D1-C

Mouser or Newark - in stock for under $30
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Carling AA3-B0-24-635-5D1-C

Mouser or Newark - in stock for under $30

Make that Mouser. Newark price is WAY higherr and no longer in stock.
Mouser has 10 in the warehouse
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 19:13:27 -0400, Clare Snyder wrote:

Make that Mouser. Newark price is WAY higherr and no longer in stock.
Mouser has 10 in the warehouse

Thanks Clare for that purposefully helpful lookup, where I may have made an
inadvertent typo at some point, as it's AA2 (2 pole), not AA3 (3 pole):
o AA2-B0-24-635-5D1-C https://i.postimg.cc/vmTTdpdB/breaker02.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/T2FMp20V/breaker05.jpg

Mouser doesn't stock this part, but they do have a decent datasheet:
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/65/A-Series_Details__26_COS_030314-345780.pdf

I will need to call Mouser during business hours for price & availability:
o (800) 346-6873, (817) 804-3888

Unfortunately, Newark also says "Not Normally Stocked":
https://www.newark.com/carling-technologies/aa2-b0-24-635-5d1-c/a-series-circuit-breaker-rohs/dp/88H2049?ost=AA2-B0-24-635-5D1-C

But at least they list a price, where, the going "fair" rate is about $100
o $ 92.45 onlinecomponents.com
o $ 95.53 newark.com
o $137.07 jackssmallengines.com
o $233.45 ordertree.com

The question is mainly HOW do you guys get hard-to-find electrical parts.

BTW, the smoke is everywhere easily smelled, strongly in the air, with that
classic wood burning smell, where the most recent time this happened was
the Paradise Fire, where the smoke traveled hundreds of miles to blanket
the Silicon Valley as this smoke is just now starting to do today with the
picking up of the wind in the past few hours.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 01:54:16 -0000 (UTC), Arlen _G_ Holder
wrote:

[...]

What "I" would do, in all likelihood, is CONVERT it to a standard
more easily available part. Like a QOB. Just have to work out a
mounting method.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That is a very normal form factor for industrial equipment.