Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Cindy

Default How to save tile when breaking shower wall?

Both of my showers have a valve that sends water either to the shower
head or to the tub nozzle, and both valves are frozen in the wall. The
plumber told me he would have to break the wall in each bathroom. My
question: how do I get the tiles off so that I can reinstall them
after the repair? I can't get any more of these colors and forsee
disaster unless I can somehow preserve every single one of the
existing tiles. One posting in this group, in answer to another
person's question, suggested breaking the tiles off the wall and be
sure to put a blanket below (presumably so the tiles won't shatter as
they fall). But, how do you get each tile off the wall in one piece
without cracking or chipping it? I would be willing to spend an
entire month with dental floss and solvent sawing away underneath the
tiles to break the seal. Has anyone done this or do you have any
suggestions for how to go about it? Is there any solvent you would
recommend to dissolve the glue that is holding the tile to the walls?
Also, how do I get the grout out? I'm a total novice, but am
absolutely determined to save these tiles somehow. Would like to hear
all suggestions, regardless of how time-consuming. Many thanks!

Best grout / sealant for shower ceramic tile ? MAG Home Repair 5 June 19th 04 04:48 PM
Shower tile questions KenM Home Repair 1 August 8th 03 10:38 AM
strange shaped shower rail NC UK diy 2 July 31st 03 12:33 PM
What tile should I use on shower surround? Jeff Smith Home Repair 5 June 27th 03 11:12 AM