Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Default Does the macadem road surface have a great effect on tire wear?

Does the macadam road surface have a great effect on tire wear?
https://i.postimg.cc/KYXHVC3n/mount32.jpg

In a previous thread, we discussed tire wear on downhill slow speed (less
nominally around 30mph) steering lock to steering lock twisties due to
suspension geometries (e.g., camber scrub on the outside edge of the inside
tire due to positive caster induced from SAI+IA, with a correspondingly
confusing negative force-vector related camber on that same inside wheel).
https://i.postimg.cc/T1HkcsX5/mount31.jpg

When I mentioned that to neighbors, they told me that they considered their
high tire wear due to the road surface being not all that smooth.

The road surface happens to be not of the best quality, in that it's
certainly not "packed" as well as a highway would be, such that, even at
times, I've seen mushrooms pop up out of two inches of macadam.

If we assume the road surface isn't well packed, the question is whether
tire wear is "appreciably" affected by that road surface?

I didn't see anything in the Gillespie bible on the subject, but I didn't
read every page because my head was already spinning just by looking at the
diagrams.

Does the macadam road surface have a great effect on tire wear?