Posted to alt.home.repair

Default sink overflow holes/faucet choice

I am replacing a faucet in my bathroom. I do not remember having any problems
when I did this before, but this time I have had problems with both faucets I
tried to put in there. They are both name brands--the only problem that I can
see with both faucets is that, if I follow the directions, the rectangular
holes the should take water from my overflow hole does not actually line up
with the overflow hole. The first was a Pfister faucet. It was one of those
push plugs and it said to line it up so that you could read the word Pfister
on the stopper plug (the stopper and base being all one piece for that type).
If I do that, the holes are like 90 degrees off from where they should be. It
leaked and I thought it was because that type of faucet does not take plumber
putty. I assumed it was a design flaw. Then I bought a Moan and I had a
similar problem. This one was the pop up type where the stopper is connected
to a lever that lets you open and close the stopper by a pull behind the
faucet. If you orient the pipe so that the lever is in the right place, the
overflow holes do not line up. I also get leaking. It looks like water starts
to saturate the base of the sink through those holes when I let water through.
Is that possible? Also, is there some standard that I'm missing--that at
some point, they started putting the overflow holes on the side instead of the
bottom of the sink so that the new faucets don't work for my sink?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1192825-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/19 12:14 AM, Rhesa wrote:
I am replacing a faucet in my bathroom.Â* I do not remember having any
problems
when I did this before, but this time I have had problems with both
faucets I
tried to put in there.Â* They are both name brands--the only problem that
I can
see with both faucets is that, if I follow the directions, the rectangular
holes the should take water from my overflow hole does not actually line up
with the overflow hole.Â* The first was a Pfister faucet.Â* It was one of
those
push plugs and it said to line it up so that you could read the word
Pfister
on the stopper plug (the stopper and base being all one piece for that
type). If I do that, the holes are like 90 degrees off from where they
should be.Â* It
leaked and I thought it was because that type of faucet does not take
plumber
putty.Â* I assumed it was a design flaw.Â* Then I bought a Moan and I had a
similar problem.Â* This one was the pop up type where the stopper is
connected
to a lever that lets you open and close the stopper by a pull behind the
faucet.Â* If you orient the pipe so that the lever is in the right place,
the
overflow holes do not line up. I also get leaking.Â* It looks like water
starts
to saturate the base of the sink through those holes when I let water
through.
Is that possible?Â* Also, is there some standard that I'm missing--that at
some point, they started putting the overflow holes on the side instead
of the
bottom of the sink so that the new faucets don't work for my sink?

Next time: clarity, brevity, focus, paragraphs ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 3, 2019 at 12:14:06 AM UTC-4, Rhesa wrote:
[...]

I've never seen a sink with the overflow holes on the bottom, IDK how that
could work? All the sinks I've seen with overflow holes, they are up high
on the side, usually the front side, so you can't see them. And I don't
recall the lining up of the drain piece being critical with regard to the
overflow. Those overflow holes routed water into the hollow part of the basin
between the top and bottom and as I recall, it just winds up in the area
between the top and bottom by the drain hole. I think it would make it's
way into the drain piece regardless of orientation there.

The leaking problem, are you sure you followed the directions? Typically
they do need plumber's putty on the top to seat properly and then they
use a rubber gasket to seal the bottom. How did the old assembly compare
to the new?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2019 12:14 AM, Rhesa wrote:
I am replacing a faucet in my bathroom.Â* I do not remember having any problems
when I did this before, but this time I have had problems with both faucets I
tried to put in there.Â* They are both name brands--the only problem that I can
see with both faucets is that, if I follow the directions, the rectangular
holes the should take water from my overflow hole does not actually line up
with the overflow hole.Â* The first was a Pfister faucet.Â* It was one of those
push plugs and it said to line it up so that you could read the word Pfister
on the stopper plug (the stopper and base being all one piece for that type). If I do that, the holes are like 90 degrees off from where they should be.Â* It
leaked and I thought it was because that type of faucet does not take plumber
putty.Â* I assumed it was a design flaw.Â* Then I bought a Moan and I had a
similar problem.Â* This one was the pop up type where the stopper is connected
to a lever that lets you open and close the stopper by a pull behind the
faucet.Â* If you orient the pipe so that the lever is in the right place, the
overflow holes do not line up. I also get leaking.Â* It looks like water starts
to saturate the base of the sink through those holes when I let water through.
Is that possible?Â* Also, is there some standard that I'm missing--that at
some point, they started putting the overflow holes on the side instead of the
bottom of the sink so that the new faucets don't work for my sink?

Rotate your sink mebe?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 3 Jun 2019 05:14:33 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

Perhaps she mean's the drain hole. The overflow is often built in to
the sink and leads to, well I don't know where, maybe Hades, where
wicked water receives its punishment for overflowing.

could work? All the sinks I've seen with overflow holes, they are up high
on the side, usually the front side, so you can't see them. And I don't
recall the lining up of the drain piece being critical with regard to the
overflow. Those overflow holes routed water into the hollow part of the basin
between the top and bottom and as I recall, it just winds up in the area
between the top and bottom by the drain hole. I think it would make it's
way into the drain piece regardless of orientation there.

The leaking problem, are you sure you followed the directions? Typically
they do need plumber's putty on the top to seat properly and then they
use a rubber gasket to seal the bottom. How did the old assembly compare
to the new?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

He is talking about where the overflow on the side near the top exits
into the drain. There is enough of a cavity around there so it does
not need to line directly up to the drain fitting. My guess is the OP
has a gasket in the wrong place. There is usually a thin gasket under
the flange in the sink bowl and another thicker one between the nut
and the bottom of ther casting, you tighten up at the bottom of the
sink with a washer between that gasket and the nut.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's what I said. I don't think there is even anything to line up,
seems to me the overflow just went into the cavity between the top of the
sink and the bottom and the drain goes through that at the bottom, might
be open all the way around.

My guess is the OP
has a gasket in the wrong place. There is usually a thin gasket under
the flange in the sink bowl and another thicker one between the nut
and the bottom of ther casting, you tighten up at the bottom of the
sink with a washer between that gasket and the nut.

In my experience there is plumber putty at the top. But the directions
should clearly show how it goes together.