Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Evaporative cooler blower wiring?

A friend has a swamp cooler blower with a built-in motor. And that's all.
The motor wires are orange, red and black.

I told him I'd guess the black is common and the other two wires are for
low and high speed. If so correct hookup would be one side of 120 VAC to
black and the other to either other wire.

What do you think? I know this is extremely little information to go on but
I'm curious at what you would guess about this.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 1:39:44 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
A friend has a swamp cooler blower with a built-in motor. And that's all.
The motor wires are orange, red and black.

I told him I'd guess the black is common and the other two wires are for
low and high speed. If so correct hookup would be one side of 120 VAC to
black and the other to either other wire.

What do you think? I know this is extremely little information to go on but
I'm curious at what you would guess about this.

TIA

I would agree with your assessment, provided there is no start capacitor
external to the motor involved. You'd think you could just trace the wires
and see where they go, and or use a meter, no?

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote in
:

On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 1:39:44 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
A friend has a swamp cooler blower with a built-in motor. And that's
all. The motor wires are orange, red and black.

I told him I'd guess the black is common and the other two wires are
for low and high speed. If so correct hookup would be one side of 120
VAC to black and the other to either other wire.

What do you think? I know this is extremely little information to go
on but I'm curious at what you would guess about this.

TIA

I would agree with your assessment, provided there is no start
capacitor external to the motor involved. You'd think you could just
trace the wires and see where they go, and or use a meter, no?

No start capacitr. But it could have been remoced.

I don't know how a two-speed A/C motor is wired. Perhaps a pair go to a
field winding. Then there is another field winding added to the first
field for higher speed? There is probably little DC resistance in these
windings so a ohm-meter test would be difficult.

Suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 2:08:14 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
trader_4 wrote in
:

[...]

Just test the wires going to the motor with the fan set to low and high.
That is assuming there is a high low switch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/22/19 1:39 PM, KenK wrote:
A friend has a swamp cooler blower with a built-in motor. And that's all.
The motor wires are orange, red and black.

I told him I'd guess the black is common and the other two wires are for
low and high speed. If so correct hookup would be one side of 120 VAC to
black and the other to either other wire.

What do you think? I know this is extremely little information to go on but
I'm curious at what you would guess about this.

TIA

Next time maybe your imaginary friend should take some pictures before they start yankin' wires?Â* ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/22/19 1:39 PM, KenK wrote:
A friend has a swamp cooler blower with a built-in motor. And that's all.
The motor wires are orange, red and black.

I told him I'd guess the black is common and the other two wires are for
low and high speed. If so correct hookup would be one side of 120 VAC to
black and the other to either other wire.

What do you think? I know this is extremely little information to go on but
I'm curious at what you would guess about this.

TIA

Maybe wired like this schematic ?

http://www.jbmailroom.com/swamper/wiring.gif
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote in news:d6d90c63-7e9d-4e23-be65-
:

[...]

Nope. Just the blower, motor, and three wires going to a flat
multiconnector plastic socket.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in news:JoOdnVcOKrWlqwjBnZ2dnUU7-
:

http://www.jbmailroom.com/swamper/wiring.gif

Close, but the motor colors in the diagram are black, white, red and green.
The motor is two speed - but I see no way to change speeds. Maybe something
to do with red input lead. I'll keep it in mind though. Thank you very much
for your resarch!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 23, 2019 at 10:05:08 AM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
[...]

We don't know what unit this even is or have it to look at. Have you
looked for a wiring diagram that is often on the back of a panel or
stuffed inside as a folded up piece of paper? Looked online?
If that doesn't exist, and you say there is no hi/lo switch, then
do you have a theory as to what determines the motor speed?
Is this a modern unit that has electronic controls or an old one
with mechanical? The former, the board could do it without the user
having control. But for something so basic, a swamp cooler, if it has
a two speed motor, I'd think it would have a speed selection by the
user somehow and it would be obvious.