Old March 15th 19, 12:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone ever speeded up a stairlift?

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 23:07:58 -0000, Fredxx wrote:

On 14/03/2019 22:57, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 22:24:42 -0000, alan_m wrote:

On 14/03/2019 22:12, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I've yet to come across any old person who wouldn't like their stairlift
to get there quicker. For goodness sake, they're either trying to
answer the door, or get to the loo before they wet themselves, and the
thing runs at less than half a mile an hour. Are they powered by
hamsters or something?

Youtube always has the answers
https://youtu.be/wK30R1gsgGk?t=92

Ah, one of my favourite films :-)
Not that I have an evil streak or anything ;-)

Are you 10 years old?

Or just that level of maturity?

Actually it was a genuine question. I know several old people and they all get fed up of waiting a few minutes to get to the top or bottom of the stairs, when someone's knocked on the door and will have left by the time they get there, or they need to get to the toilet urgently, and wet themselves before they arrive. The current models of stairlifts are absolutely pitiful. I'm not asking for them to go at absurd speeds, perhaps just the speed a person would walk? Every one I've seen is more the speed a baby would crawl.

Old March 15th 19, 12:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 14/03/2019 22:12, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I've yet to come across any old person who wouldn't like their
stairlift
to get there quicker. For goodness sake, they're either trying to
answer the door, or get to the loo before they wet themselves, and the
thing runs at less than half a mile an hour. Are they powered by
hamsters or something?

Youtube always has the answers
https://youtu.be/wK30R1gsgGk?t=92

Ah, one of my favourite films :-)
Not that I have an evil streak or anything ;-)

Are you 10 years old?

Or just that level of maturity?

The only difference between men and boys is the price of our toys.
Me included.

Indeed, anyone who "grows up" is a boring old fart.
Old March 15th 19, 01:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

I've yet to come across any old person who wouldn't like their stairlift to get there quicker.* For goodness sake, they're either trying to answer the door, or get to the loo before they wet themselves, and the thing runs at less than half a mile an
hour.* Are they powered by hamsters or something?

Most have a DC motor and 12 volt SLA battery under the seat. Prolly not legal or safe but you could put an 18 or 24 volt battery pack in, upgrade the charger and hang on.

--
Get off my lawn!

Old March 15th 19, 01:51 AM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Legal? Who's going to inspect it? No MOTs on a stairlift. **** THE LAW!
Old March 15th 19, 08:36 AM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 14 Mar 2019 22:12:22 -0000, "Commander
Kinsey" wrote:

I've yet to come across any old person who wouldn't like their stairlift to get there quicker. For goodness sake, they're either trying to answer the door, or get to the loo before they wet themselves, and the thing runs at less than half a mile an hour. Are they powered by hamsters or something?

I think the Binford 9x replacement stairlift motor does a good job.
It's 300 amps with a torque of 400 foot-pounds and can lift a 500 pound
man up one flight of stairs in 30 seconds or a 200 pound man in 8
seconds.

You should probably also get the Binford 300 stairlift hydraulic brake,
since it goes so fast you don't want to stop suddently.

Old March 15th 19, 09:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 20:30:26 -0400, Grumpy Old White Guy, another mentally
deficient, troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

Most have a DC motor and 12 volt SLA battery under the seat. Prolly not
legal or safe but you could put an 18 or 24 volt battery pack in, upgrade
the charger and hang on.

....and another troll-feeding senile idiot appeared who couldn't resist
taking the abnormal Scottish attention whore's latest idiotic bait! LOL
Old March 15th 19, 09:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 09:36:59 +0200, micky, another brain damaged,
troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered again:

I think

No, you don't, you stupid, troll-feeding ****!
Old March 15th 19, 10:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Actually when I asked this question of an installer he said that they are
built to be safe, not rapid, and if they ran faster and jammed then the jolt
may be very dangerous for the occupant.

That to me sounded a bit like 'cos they always are made this way, I only
fit them guv, nothing to do with me'
Still there may be some merit in the plan, unless you really want to wear a
crash helmet, neck brace and a three point harness to use one.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Commander Kinsey
wrote:

I've yet to come across any old person who wouldn't like their stairlift
get there quicker. For goodness sake, they're either trying to answer the
door, or get to the loo before they wet themselves, and the thing runs at
less
than half a mile an hour. Are they powered by hamsters or something?

Why not contact Alton Towers? I understand they have some experience in
that department.

--
What power have you got?
Where did you get it from?

Tony Benn

Old March 15th 19, 01:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 01:43:28 -0000, wrote:

On Friday, 15 March 2019 00:30:29 UTC, Grumpy Old White Guy wrote:

I've yet to come across any old person who wouldn't like their stairlift to get there quicker. For goodness sake, they're either trying to answer the door, or get to the loo before they wet themselves, and the thing runs at less than half a mile an
hour. Are they powered by hamsters or something?

Most have a DC motor and 12 volt SLA battery under the seat. Prolly not legal or safe but you could put an 18 or 24 volt battery pack in, upgrade the charger and hang on.

Reckon you'd have to feed them 240v to get a sensible speed going. You'd need a much more powerful motor. Those cheap hoists go a sensible speed but are very noisy.

It's not sensible. Old people don't need to go slower than walking speed when they're sat in a chair (which has a seatbelt). Imagine they're desperate for the loo, or want to answer the door to the postman before he goes away.