DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   mixing light bulbs (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/631968-mixing-light-bulbs.html)

Peeler[_3_] March 3rd 19 10:21 PM

Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 07:47:35 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

You still have to admit raising taxes is necessary unless we radically
cut spending, including entitlements. The fact remains every nickel of
discretionary spending (everything but entitlements and interest on
the debt) is borrowed. That is totally unsustainable and we are just
burdening our kids with a debt that will crush them.

The WW2 debt was higher and didn't crush us.

Post your data, you driveling psychopath!

When you tack that on to their personal debts like 5 figure
student loans we may reach a point where they just revolt.

The last time they tried that in the 60s it didn't work for them.

Post your data, you driveling psychopath!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.

Clare Snyder March 3rd 19 10:21 PM

mixing light bulbs

On Sun, 03 Mar 2019 13:19:53 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 08:05:24 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 7:16:05 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 3/2/2019 10:53 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 03/02/2019 11:41 AM,
wrote:
On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 11:33:35 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 3/1/19 7:48 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

[snip]

* Whatever happened to "government of the people, by the people, and
for the people" - I might have gotten the order wrong but - - - -

There is NO "the people". Some will always be left out, like all those
who did NOT vote for Trump.

I didn't vote for Trump (Gary) but I wasn't left out of the tax cut.
It saved me about $600 compared to running the same return on the 2017
tax code.

I'm planning on doing my taxes and I anticipate BOHICA particularly for
the state. Many states don't tax SS but this one does.

I'm getting about a federal $700 surplus back. Last year I paid them.
State does not tax SS or first $15,000 of pension or 401k. We are
getting inundated by retirees from NJ moving here.

Another trumpet voter that doesn't understand the difference between a
refund and actually paying less in taxes. But overall, this year the
average refund is down anyway by about $800.

That is more about your withholding choices than the tax, as you said.
I didn't change my withholding at all and I am getting over $4k back.
What I haven't seen reported is what was the average tax rate compared
to last year.

That takes mathematical literacy, so don't hold your breath unless
you think you look good in blue - - -

Peeler[_3_] March 3rd 19 10:22 PM

Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 07:40:53 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Yes, there are a few glass ones although most LED bulbs I
see are plastic. Do you know of any reason to prefer glass?

Not obvious why Philips do it that way. Less likely to crack
with age but wont survive a drop onto a hard surface as well.

IOW, you don't know, but you will keep smartassing anyway! BG

--
pamela about Rot Speed:
"His off the cuff expertise demonstrates how little he knows..."

Peeler[_3_] March 3rd 19 10:24 PM

Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 07:51:16 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

But now I don¢t like the dirty yellow there and prefer a cool white.

Dunno why I changed.

How's that? You usually know EVERYTHING, you psychopathic know-it-all! BG

little ignorant ****."
MID:

Peeler[_3_] March 3rd 19 10:25 PM

Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 07:38:39 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

I used to have one there for that reason but now

FLUSH yet more senile troll****

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:

Clare Snyder March 3rd 19 10:29 PM

mixing light bulbs

On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 14:46:11 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 3/3/2019 1:53 PM, Bod wrote:
On 03/03/2019 18:32, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 3/2/19 2:02 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

[snip]

But I now find that I don't even notice the dirty
yellow in the bedroom anymore. Not sure I'd
like it for the main room and kitchen tho.

You do get used to them. I had no problem with the light color until
recently when some people started using real white light.

[snip]

I've changed all of our lights to the daylight spectrum type.

It actually feels pleasanter in the long dark evenings.

Same here. No reason to have dingy orange when you can have a truer
color.

And with these darn cataracts I need all the help I can get

Vic Smith March 3rd 19 11:42 PM

mixing light bulbs

On Sun, 03 Mar 2019 15:42:11 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 03 Mar 2019 13:59:29 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 21:02:52 -0700, rbowman wrote:

On 03/02/2019 01:32 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
That's the sad part - the"asshole in charge" doesn't realise he is
to govern for the good of ALL the people, not just his small crime
family inner circle, or his "chearleaders" (ever notice inhigh school
the "chear leaders" were generally not "the sharpest knives in the
block" but more likely the good-looking airheads????)

Do you think the pant-suited bitch who referred to half the electorate
as deplorables would govern for ALL the people? Do you think Romney
would make it past 47% of the people?

No sense lying. It's on the net.
"You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trumps supporters into
what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?' Clinton said. "The racist, sexist,
homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic - you name it. And unfortunately there are people like
that. And he has lifted them up."
She was far too kind. 100% of Trump voters are deplorable.

The US government. from its inception, has not governed for the benefit
of ALL the people.

Certainly never truer than with Trump, who lost by 2.8 million votes.
But it is what it is.

Too bad most of Hillary's votes were concentrated in a few states huh?
The founding fathers did not want a few big cities on the coast
dominating the whole country.

Had nothing to do with that. It was designed to prevent a demagogue from becoming POTUS.
It didn't work.

[email protected] March 4th 19 12:02 AM

mixing light bulbs

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 07:47:35 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 08:02:25 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 4:47:58 PM UTC-5, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message

wrote:

On 3/1/19 7:48 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

[snip]

Whatever happened to "government of the people, by the people,
and
for the people" - I might have gotten the order wrong but - - - -

There is NO "the people". Some will always be left out, like all
those
who did NOT vote for Trump.

I didn't vote for Trump (Gary) but I wasn't left out of the tax cut.
It saved me about $600 compared to running the same return on the
2017
tax code.

Yes, and now the budget deficit, which was down to just $580 bil when
Trump
took office, is on track to be ~$1 tril this year, with total debt
exceeding
$22 tril. Trillion dollar deficits in a decent, expanding economy.
Nice work by Trump and I hope you enjoy your tax cut that someone
will have to pay for before too much longer. I'm sure Trump is
enjoying
his
tax cut and doesn't give a damn. Cohen related how in 2008 as Trump
was
cutting staff salaries by half, he was enjoying his $10 mil tax refund
and
commenting on how stupid the govt was to give it to him. So much for
today's
"conservatives" too. Obviously deficits only matter when Democrats
run
them.

You never heard me say the tax cut was a good idea, I am just pointing
out it actually was a cut for a lot of working class people. Too bad
if you live in one of those high SALT states that didn't vote for
Trump.

Personally I would go for an across the board 2%
surtax on EVERYONE's taxes (based on your gross),

Basing on the gross has real downsides particularly with
small business that isnt operating as a corporate. They
end up paying a lot more than the average wage slave
and many of them don't necessarily have a higher
living standard than the average employee.

That's pure BS. A small business today that isn't a corporation
isn't taxed on it's gross. It's taxed on it's net INCOME, which
is passed through to the owner. Business grosses $300K, has
expenses of $200K, owner has unadjusted taxable income of $100K.
Then it's adjusted for exemptions, deductions, etc. Final adjusted
taxable income is $75K. A new additional 2% income tax like Fretwell
is proposing would hit them with a new tax of $1500, just like it
would someone who earns $75K from a job.

meaning a lot of people who don't
pay any at all would have to chip in.

But its far from clear if it makes any sense to be making
those whose entire income is benefits or the aged pension
to be handing back 2% of what the govt has just given them.

I would only stipulate that every dime go to paying down the debt.

That doesn't necessarily make sense either in times of
severe recession when the govt has to pay out a lot
more to those who are temporarily between jobs etc.

It doesn't make any sense right now. The current deficit is ~$1 tril.
To pay down the debt, this new small tax increase would have to
generate over $1 tril in new revenue, which it can't. All it would
do is slightly lower the horrific deficits, the national debt would
keep increasing. Again, just the simplest of facts.

You still have to admit raising taxes is necessary unless we radically
cut spending, including entitlements. The fact remains every nickel of
discretionary spending (everything but entitlements and interest on
the debt) is borrowed. That is totally unsustainable and we are just
burdening our kids with a debt that will crush them.

The WW2 debt was higher and didn't crush us.

After WWII we had the only functioning industry outside of the Soviet
Union and the whole world needed rebuilding. There was plenty of money
coming in and most importantly for us NO entitlement burden. There
was no Medicare/Medicaid, very little welfare and SS was operating at
a huge surplus.
Now the entitlements and interest on the debt eats almost every penny
of revenue and we haven't even started to fund everything else the
government does.,That money is all borrowed.

When you tack that on to their personal debts like 5 figure
student loans we may reach a point where they just revolt.

The last time they tried that in the 60s it didn't work for them.

Different thing altogether but they did stop the war and end the
draft. This time it would be more direct in trying to stop the flow of
money from the young to the old. They really just need to vote.

[email protected] March 4th 19 12:08 AM

mixing light bulbs

wrote:

[...]

They were thinking the demagog would come from New York ... oh wait,
he did. He just got elected in an electoral college landslide because
the democrats can't count. They thought if the won the North East,
Chicago and the Pac Coast states they were a shoo in.
There are 50 states and they only won 19.5

rbowman March 4th 19 12:39 AM

mixing light bulbs

wrote:

[...]

That must be the 4K I just sent to the Feds and the state... I knew it
was going to be bad this year, just not how bad.

Then I got to the part of the 1040 instructions about paying. Yes, you
can pay by check, if you write your life's history on the check and
submit yet another form. I caved and did the direct payment they're
pushing with both feet.

rbowman March 4th 19 12:42 AM

mixing light bulbs

On 03/03/2019 12:46 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/3/2019 1:53 PM, Bod wrote:
On 03/03/2019 18:32, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 3/2/19 2:02 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

[snip]

But I now find that I don't even notice the dirty
yellow in the bedroom anymore. Not sure I'd
like it for the main room and kitchen tho.

You do get used to them. I had no problem with the light color until
recently when some people started using real white light.

[snip]

I've changed all of our lights to the daylight spectrum type.

It actually feels pleasanter in the long dark evenings.

Same here. No reason to have dingy orange when you can have a truer color.

Sometimes when i walk through a residential neighborhood at night I
wonder if they're trying to mimic kerosene lanterns.

rbowman March 4th 19 12:43 AM

mixing light bulbs

On 3/3/2019 1:53 PM, Bod wrote:
On 03/03/2019 18:32, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 3/2/19 2:02 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

[snip]

But I now find that I don't even notice the dirty
yellow in the bedroom anymore. Not sure I'd
like it for the main room and kitchen tho.

You do get used to them. I had no problem with the light color until
recently when some people started using real white light.

[snip]

I've changed all of our lights to the daylight spectrum type.
It actually feels pleasanter in the long dark evenings.

Same here. No reason to have dingy orange when you can have a truer
color.

And with these darn cataracts I need all the help I can get

Yup. I don't need any more yellow in the spectrum.

Frank[_24_] March 4th 19 12:47 AM

mixing light bulbs

wrote:

On 3/1/19 7:48 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

[snip]

Â* Whatever happened to "government of the people, by the people, and
[...]

Same here. Our traitor does not understand this.

rbowman March 4th 19 12:56 AM

mixing light bulbs

On 03/03/2019 11:37 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 3/2/19 3:11 PM, Bod F wrote:

[snip]

The only thing the democrats do is promise more welfare for their
constituents...but common sense dictates that welfare is not sustainable.

At some point you run out of other peoples money.

I remember something about a plan to require welfare recipients to work
for their money if they were able to. For some reason that was declared
unconstitutional.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-s...fare-benefits/

I don't think the 9th Circuit has found the time in their busy schedule
to screw with that one yet.

Frank[_24_] March 4th 19 12:56 AM

mixing light bulbs

On 3/3/2019 3:20 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 12:49:27 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 3/3/19 9:16 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

Ugh!Â* That had to be a terrible invention.Â* My wife will wear a skirt at
times for comfort but has not worn pantyhose in 30 years.Â* We have
strange dress codes, both men and women.Â* Things like neckties and high
heels should be eliminated.

I have worn a necktie for about 3 seconds (lifetime total). I was
encouraged to try one in 5th grade and really don't like feeling is if
I'm being strangled.

Since moving south, nothing but shorts and T-shirts for me.

I wore a tie all of high school am my working career although I
switched to clip on ties in the late 60s. That rotating machinery and
a tie just didn't seem right to me.
Get your tie caught in an offset printing press and they will have a
hard time getting your socks out.

Same here but now in spring through fall it is shorts and tee shirt and
sweats in winter. I think the last time I wore a tie was when a son got
married 4 years ago.

Rod Speed March 4th 19 01:02 AM

mixing light bulbs

wrote:

[...]

Corse it did, you have never had one and Trump isnt one either.

Rod Speed March 4th 19 01:50 AM

mixing light bulbs

wrote in message
On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 07:47:35 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Oh bull****. It was functioning fine in Germany,
Britain, Canada, Australia, India, Japan, etc etc etc.

It was in fact doing so well in Japan that the US had enough
sense to buy quite a bit of the simpler military hardware used
in the Korean War from Japan and that helped the Jap economy
very effectively indeed.

and the whole world needed rebuilding.

That's bull**** too. Yes, quite a bit of europe did and
japan and russia, but that wasn't done by the US.

There was plenty of money coming in

Not from rebuilding the world it didn't.

and most importantly for us NO entitlement burden.

That's bull**** too with the casualtys of WW2
and the massive free education of vets.

There was no Medicare/Medicaid,

But the vet system wasn't cheap at that time.

very little welfare and SS was operating at a huge surplus.

Because it hadn't been going long and most didn't qualify for payouts yet.

The real reason the immense govt debt that WW2 incurred was paid
down so quickly is because income tax rates were MUCH higher and
the economy really boomed after WW2 had ended with lots of building
of new houses and buying of cars that wasn't possible during the war.

Now the entitlements and interest on the
debt eats almost every penny of revenue

That's wrong with the military budget alone and the
non military discretionary is about the same amount.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:C...aphic_2017.png

and we haven't even started to fund everything else
the government does.,That money is all borrowed.

Nope.

When you tack that on to their personal debts like 5 figure
student loans we may reach a point where they just revolt.

The last time they tried that in the 60s it didn't work for them.

Different thing altogether but they did stop the war

Nope, it would have ended then anyway. It was never going
to work while ever the Vietnamese were fighting for their
country and most of you yanks couldn't see any reason for
the US to be involved there getting your kids killed there.

and end the draft.

That ended because the US no longer needed lots of kids in
boots running around with guns in their hands. War changed.
Almost everyone else ended the draft then too, for that reason.

This time it would be more direct in trying to stop
the flow of money from the young to the old.

That isnt what is happening now with
HALF not paying any net income tax.

That is completely and utterly barking mad. No other
modern first world country is actually THAT stupid.

They really just need to vote.

Wont work when the only two partys with any chance of
being the govt only differ in the detail about the tax rates.

Rod Speed March 4th 19 01:57 AM

mixing light bulbs

wrote:

[...]

Nope, Trump is no demagogue and your system ensures that even if one
does get to be the prez, he doesnt get to actually be a demagogue.

He just got elected in an electoral college
landslide because the democrats can't count.

He got that result because enough were ****ed off enough
about that fool Hitlary and the beltway to give Trump a
chance and they realised that the US economy would do
fine whatever Trump did. They were right about all that.

They thought if the won the North East, Chicago
and the Pac Coast states they were a shoo in.
There are 50 states and they only won 19.5

Doesnt matter what they thought, there was
nothing they could have done to change that.
They were stuck with that fool Hitlary by then.

Bod[_3_] March 4th 19 03:59 AM

mixing light bulbs

On 3/3/2019 1:53 PM, Bod wrote:
On 03/03/2019 18:32, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 3/2/19 2:02 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

[snip]

But I now find that I don't even notice the dirty
yellow in the bedroom anymore. Not sure I'd
like it for the main room and kitchen tho.

You do get used to them. I had no problem with the light color until
recently when some people started using real white light.

[snip]

I've changed all of our lights to the daylight spectrum type.
It actually feels pleasanter in the long dark evenings.

Same here. No reason to have dingy orange when you can have a truer
color.

And with these darn cataracts I need all the help I can get

Are you getting them sorted in the near future or have you got to

wait until they get a lot worse?

--
Bod

---

Bod[_3_] March 4th 19 04:01 AM

mixing light bulbs

On 3/3/2019 1:53 PM, Bod wrote:
On 03/03/2019 18:32, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 3/2/19 2:02 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

[snip]

But I now find that I don't even notice the dirty
yellow in the bedroom anymore. Not sure I'd
like it for the main room and kitchen tho.

You do get used to them. I had no problem with the light color until
recently when some people started using real white light.

[snip]

Â* I've changed all of our lights to the daylight spectrum type.
It actually feels pleasanter in the long dark evenings.

Same here.Â* No reason to have dingy orange when you can have a truer
color.

Sometimes when i walk through a residential neighborhood at night I
wonder if they're trying to mimic kerosene lanterns.

Lol.

--
Bod

---

Clare Snyder March 4th 19 06:47 AM

mixing light bulbs

On 3/3/2019 1:53 PM, Bod wrote:
On 03/03/2019 18:32, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 3/2/19 2:02 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

[snip]

But I now find that I don't even notice the dirty
yellow in the bedroom anymore. Not sure I'd
like it for the main room and kitchen tho.

You do get used to them. I had no problem with the light color until
recently when some people started using real white light.

[snip]

I've changed all of our lights to the daylight spectrum type.
It actually feels pleasanter in the long dark evenings.

Same here. No reason to have dingy orange when you can have a truer
color.

And with these darn cataracts I need all the help I can get

Are you getting them sorted in the near future or have you got to

wait until they get a lot worse?

The right eye is virtually blind without glasses and useless with.
Have first appointment with the surgeon 3 weeks from Wednesday,a 4
month wait since my optometrist requested it. I'm told to expect it
could be another 4 months or so before surgery, but hopefully he will
get me in earlier.

Bod[_3_] March 4th 19 07:07 AM

mixing light bulbs

On 3/3/2019 1:53 PM, Bod wrote:
[...]

Ah, so hope on the horizon then, good.

--
Bod

---

Peeler[_3_] March 4th 19 09:12 AM

Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 12:50:55 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

FLUSH another load of the psychopath's inevitable pathological
auto-contradicting

Hey, psychopath, how OFTEN have you been institutionalized already? G

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"

Peeler[_3_] March 4th 19 09:13 AM

Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 12:57:58 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Nope, Trump is no demagogue and your system ensures that even if one
does get to be the prez, he doesn¢t get to actually be a demagogue.

Senile Ozzietard OBVIOUSLY doesn't know what "demagogue" means! No suprise!

FLUSH the rest of the usual troll****

little ignorant ****."
MID:

Peeler[_3_] March 4th 19 09:14 AM

Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 12:02:06 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Had nothing to do with that. It was designed to prevent
a demagogue from becoming POTUS. It didn't work.

Corse it did, you have never had one and Trump isnt one either.

Look up "demagogue", senile Ozzietard!

rbowman March 4th 19 02:43 PM

mixing light bulbs

On 03/03/2019 11:47 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
The right eye is virtually blind without glasses and useless with.
Have first appointment with the surgeon 3 weeks from Wednesday,a 4
month wait since my optometrist requested it. I'm told to expect it
could be another 4 months or so before surgery, but hopefully he will
get me in earlier.

Is that your famous Canadian medical system? A couple of years ago the
optometrist saw something he couldn't quite figure out and bounced me to
the eye doctors. It was a macular hole. The repair was done within 3
weeks and that was partly because I scheduled it for the downtime around
Christmas week. One of the side effects of the gas they use to
temporarily replace the vitreous fluid is accelerating cataract
formation. He told me to come back when it got annoying.

Earlier I had a small retinal tear. The emergency room sent me to the
same place and I was seen immediately for a little laser spot welding.

Both incidents were covered by Medicare. I think I was out of pocket for
about $100 combined.

[email protected] March 4th 19 05:23 PM

mixing light bulbs

Actually mixing them is a way to get around those devices that do not
like CFLs and LEDs. As long as you still have at least one
incandescent in that down stream circuit the dimmer, occupancy/motion
sensor or smart switch will usually still work fine.

+1

Clare Snyder March 4th 19 06:44 PM

mixing light bulbs

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 07:43:38 -0700, rbowman wrote:

[...]

"emergency surgery such as a macular tear is usually scheduled and
done within 24 hours. "elective" surgery takes a little longer. The
specialist has a bank of hours in the OR - generally one day a week,
and he schedules cataract surgeries for that day. He may do 20 or so
in one go.
It's such a common surgery now that there is a pretty good waiting
list. We have a shortage of specialists locally. I could likely have
it done in 3 weeks if I was 150 miles away - possibly even just 70 in
the right direction.

Same goes with knees and hips.

If I go with the standard lens it won't cost me a penny. I can
upgrade at my expense. If I had astigmatism the special lens required
would be covered.

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= March 4th 19 07:36 PM

mixing light bulbs

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

And with these darn cataracts I need all the help I can get

I thought you worked on Mopar products ;-)

--
Tekkie

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= March 4th 19 07:38 PM

mixing light bulbs Canadian health system

On 3/3/2019 1:53 PM, Bod wrote:
[...]

Now let us discuss the Canadian health system...

--
Tekkie

[email protected] March 4th 19 08:27 PM

mixing light bulbs

On 3/3/2019 1:53 PM, Bod wrote:
On 03/03/2019 18:32, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 3/2/19 2:02 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

[snip]

But I now find that I don't even notice the dirty
yellow in the bedroom anymore. Not sure I'd
like it for the main room and kitchen tho.

You do get used to them. I had no problem with the light color until
recently when some people started using real white light.

[snip]

I've changed all of our lights to the daylight spectrum type.
It actually feels pleasanter in the long dark evenings.

Same here. No reason to have dingy orange when you can have a truer color.

Sometimes when i walk through a residential neighborhood at night I
wonder if they're trying to mimic kerosene lanterns.

That would be me.
I really prefer a bunch of S20 15w 130v bulbs to a couple of 100w or
the CFL/LED equivalent.
My pool deck is lit with 14 of them. I also have Par38s and 600w of
underwater light that will light the place up like the Berlin wall but
I seldom turn them on, particularly since the kids are gone. The
underwater lights are on dimmers and when they are on it is at a
pretty low level..

[email protected] March 4th 19 08:54 PM

mixing light bulbs

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 12:50:55 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Bull****, the reason why the Marshall plan was so good for the US is
we were the main source of manufactured goods for a number of years.
Between us, the Axis and the Brits, we bombed the rest of the world's
factories to dust.
That was a good news bad news joke for us. When the world rebuilt, it
was the latest technology while the US was still using factories built
in the 20s. You only have to look at the crap cars of the 50s and 60s
to see that.

and most importantly for us NO entitlement burden.

That's bull**** too with the casualtys of WW2
and the massive free education of vets.

There was no Medicare/Medicaid,

But the vet system wasn't cheap at that time.

There was still plenty of money and the VA was not nearly as inclusive
as it is now. You pretty much had to have a combat connected
disability to get much in a VA hospital. Now anyone with a DD214 can
go.

very little welfare and SS was operating at a huge surplus.

Because it hadn't been going long and most didn't qualify for payouts yet.

The main reason was people died a lot earlier (Life expectancy was in
the low 60s and SS didn't kick in until 65) and we had the baby
boomers coming to work. There were 16-18 people paying for every
retiree. Now in is more like 2.5.

The real reason the immense govt debt that WW2 incurred was paid
down so quickly is because income tax rates were MUCH higher and
the economy really boomed after WW2 had ended with lots of building
of new houses and buying of cars that wasn't possible during the war.

True but we also had a huge balance of payments surplus.
The tax rates for the rich were not quite what they try to sell us
either. There was far more you could deduct if you were rich. They may
have paid at a rate of 90+% on taxable income but there was plenty
that escaped that tax. That was really true until Reagan who wiped out
thousands of tax shelters in 1986. I know it took some of my
investments from a tax write off to taxable income and I wasn't even
rich..

Now the entitlements and interest on the
debt eats almost every penny of revenue

That's wrong with the military budget alone and the
non military discretionary is about the same amount.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:C...aphic_2017.png

Don't get too confused by that "budget". It is the wish list. We
seldom actually make those numbers.

and we haven't even started to fund everything else
the government does.,That money is all borrowed.

Nope.

When you tack that on to their personal debts like 5 figure
student loans we may reach a point where they just revolt.

The last time they tried that in the 60s it didn't work for them.

Different thing altogether but they did stop the war

Nope, it would have ended then anyway. It was never going
to work while ever the Vietnamese were fighting for their
country and most of you yanks couldn't see any reason for
the US to be involved there getting your kids killed there.

The war ended because they lost popular support for it.
LBJ said, "When I lost Chronkite, I lost the war".
That idiot Nixon still kept it going another 6 years.
The result was the same as it would have been if LBJ let them have
Saigon in 1968. The only thing it accomplished is we created a market
for consumer goods in Vietnam and planted the seeds of capitalism with
the black market, mostly of things stolen from the US military.
We may not have made the world safe for democracy but Budweiser and
Marlboro did real well.

and end the draft.

That ended because the US no longer needed lots of kids in
boots running around with guns in their hands. War changed.
Almost everyone else ended the draft then too, for that reason.

Again we lost popular support for it. We had the draft in the 50s and
early 60s when there were no real wars going on that we were involved
in.

This time it would be more direct in trying to stop
the flow of money from the young to the old.

That isnt what is happening now with
HALF not paying any net income tax.

A lot of those people are seniors.

That is completely and utterly barking mad. No other
modern first world country is actually THAT stupid.

true

They really just need to vote.

Wont work when the only two partys with any chance of
being the govt only differ in the detail about the tax rates.

They mostly differ on abortion and guns.

Rod Speed March 4th 19 10:14 PM

mixing light bulbs

wrote in message
On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 12:50:55 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 07:47:35 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

m...

wrote:

[...]

The world didn't by US manufactured goods after WW2 had ended.

Between us, the Axis and the Brits, we bombed
the rest of the world's factories to dust.

Another pig ignorant lie with Germany alone. And after the war
had ended, even germany didn't import US manufactured goods
and cars to replace what the war had destroyed.

Neither did Japan.

That was a good news bad news joke for us. When the world rebuilt,

It was only germany and japan that needed to do that.

it was the latest technology while the US was still
using factories built in the 20s. You only have to
look at the crap cars of the 50s and 60s to see that.

Britain was still producing crap cars at that time too.

Japanese cars werent any better either.

Wasn't so true of germany, but that's because they
were stamping out the very decent pre war design,
the beetle, that so many kids in the world decided
was just what they needed, including me. And went
on to produce much better designs like the Golf/Rabbit
and the mercs and beemers.

and most importantly for us NO entitlement burden.

That's bull**** too with the casualtys of WW2
and the massive free education of vets.

There was no Medicare/Medicaid,

But the vet system wasn't cheap at that time.

There was still plenty of money

Yes, because of the very high income tax rates at that time.
Top rate of 94% in fact.
https://bradfordtaxinstitute.com/Fre...Tax-Rates.aspx

and the VA was not nearly as inclusive as it is now.

Bull**** with those actually involved in WW2.

You pretty much had to have a combat connected
disability to get much in a VA hospital.

Those were the only ones who needed
it with those involved in WW2.

[...]

And yet the immense govt debt was paid off very quickly.
Because the average wage slave was paying much more
income tax then. There are never enough rich to pay down
that immense govt debt that quickly, even in america.

They may have paid at a rate of 90+% on taxable
income but there was plenty that escaped that tax.

Yes, it was the wage slaves that paid
off that immense federal debit so
quickly. Mostly with income tax.

Bull****.

and we haven't even started to fund everything else
the government does.,That money is all borrowed.

Nope.

When you tack that on to their personal debts like 5 figure
student loans we may reach a point where they just revolt.

The last time they tried that in the 60s it didn't work for them.

Different thing altogether but they did stop the war

Nope, it would have ended then anyway. It was never going
to work while ever the Vietnamese were fighting for their
country and most of you yanks couldn't see any reason for
the US to be involved there getting your kids killed there.

The war ended because they lost popular support for it.

There never was popular support for US kids getting killed there.

LBJ said, "When I lost Chronkite, I lost the war".

Mindlessly silly. The war was in fact lost when it became clear
that nothing the US did there worked, particularly after Tet.

That idiot Nixon still kept it going another 6 years.

Sure, but that is just a detail of how the war was lost.
It was never going to be winnable there.

Nothing like Malaya which worked, Vietnam was never going to.

The result was the same as it would have been if LBJ let them have
Saigon in 1968. The only thing it accomplished is we created a market
for consumer goods in Vietnam and planted the seeds of capitalism
with the black market, mostly of things stolen from the US military.

And that didn't survive the vietnamese winning.

We may not have made the world safe for democracy
but Budweiser and Marlboro did real well.

Not once the US crawled away with its tail between its legs it didn't.

and end the draft.

That ended because the US no longer needed lots of kids in
boots running around with guns in their hands. War changed.
Almost everyone else ended the draft then too, for that reason.

Again we lost popular support for it.

Doesn't explain why the rest of the west binned it at the same
time. That happened because there was no point in it anymore.
The military world had moved on, as it always does.

We had the draft in the 50s and early 60s when there
were no real wars going on that we were involved in.

That's silly with Korea alone.

This time it would be more direct in trying to stop
the flow of money from the young to the old.

That isnt what is happening now with
HALF not paying any net income tax.

A lot of those people are seniors.

Half isnt the seniors.

That is completely and utterly barking mad. No other
modern first world country is actually THAT stupid.

true

They really just need to vote.

Wont work when the only two partys with any chance of
being the govt only differ in the detail about the tax rates.

They mostly differ on abortion and guns.

So voting wont do a damned thing about tax rates except in the
sense that voting for the dems will see a need for higher taxes
and the young voters wont see much in the way of lower taxes
even if they do vote for the repugs, which hardly any of them do.

Peeler[_3_] March 4th 19 10:59 PM

Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 09:14:36 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

FLUSH 357 lines of stinking senile troll****

....and much better air in here!

little ignorant ****."
MID:

[email protected] March 5th 19 12:22 AM

mixing light bulbs

wrote:

[...]

We'll see...

A small business today that isn't a
corporation isn't taxed on it's gross.

Thats what he was proposing the 2% surtax on, stupid.

No, you're the one who's stupid and I hope Fretwell will chime in too.
He proposed a 2% new tax on people's INCOMES, not on business revenue.
A small business that isn't taxed as a corporation passes it's INCOME
onto the owner;s personal tax return, where that income is treated like
income from a job would be. A business owner would see the same effect
of the 2% new tax as someone making the same amount of money.

Business has revenue of $300K, expenses of $250K, $50 shows up on personal
return as unadjusted gross income. Another guy has a job, earns $50,
he also has $50K of unadjusted gross income. Then you have exemptions,'
deductions, and wind up with say, $35K taxable income. Got it now? Of course not, you're a moron troll. Fretwell can weigh in if he intended his new
2% tax to apply to the $50K unadjusted or the $35 adjusted income. But
either way, it affects the small business just like the guy with the job,
both would pay the same increase.

It's taxed on it's net INCOME, which is passed through to the
owner. Business grosses $300K, has expenses of $200K, owner
has unadjusted taxable income of $100K. Then it's adjusted for
exemptions, deductions, etc. Final adjusted taxable income is $75K.

Thats not his GROSS, stupid.

It is the owner;s unadjusted gross income on his personal tax return, moron.
It flows in from Schedule C, been there, done that.

A new additional 2% income tax like Fretwell is
proposing would hit them with a new tax of $1500,

Nope, $60K, thats 2% of his GROSS, stupid.

Amazing the balls of the moron troll from Australia, claiming to know
how small business profits are taxed, when I'm the one who has filled out
the forms and paid them. Fretwell proposed a new 2% tax on personal INCOME,
not on business REVENUE. Hope he chimes in, I'm sure he understands
the difference. You really should just stop, instead of digging an ever
deeper hole, like that Mr. T guy.

I had no intent of delving into the details of an idea that will never
happen I was just advancing the idea that we don't pay enough taxes
and everyone should be paying something.
The problem is we make it far too easy to kick the debt problem down
the road and eventually it is going to do serious damage to the
dollar. That is a tax everyone will pay.

rbowman March 5th 19 01:53 AM

mixing light bulbs

On 03/04/2019 01:54 PM, wrote:
There was still plenty of money and the VA was not nearly as inclusive
as it is now. You pretty much had to have a combat connected
disability to get much in a VA hospital. Now anyone with a DD214 can
go.

My father had a hernia repaired in the VA in the '50s. Since he was a
Marine on the Oklahoma in WWi I doubt it was combat connected.

Rod Speed March 5th 19 02:03 AM

mixing light bulbs

wrote:

[...]

And with a sole trader self employed, THEIR TOTAL
TURNOVER IS THEIR GROSS INCOME, ****wit.

none of the rest of your even sillier **** worth
bothering with, all flushed where it belongs

Clare Snyder March 5th 19 02:27 AM

mixing light bulbs

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 14:36:58 -0500, Tekkie® wrote:

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

And with these darn cataracts I need all the help I can get

I thought you worked on Mopar products ;-)

like the handiman who was hired to repaint the porch out back, and
came in after finishing the job and said it easn;t a porch, it was an
Audi