Posted to alt.home.repair

Default mixing light bulbs

I have an overhead light fixture with 3 40 watt bulbs. one of them burnt out. can I replace only the burnt out bulb with an LED bulb? What if any would be the consequinces? Thanks for a reply
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 14:06:35 -0500, Wade Garrett
wrote:

Yes, you can replace just the one lamp with an LED. The consequence is you
will reduce total power consumption of the fixture.

Tom

Yeah but if he lives in a liberal-governed state or municipality, he'd
probably need to file for an exemption first- and appeal it twice after
the initial turn-down. Then he would need to purchase a $150 permit,
hire a licensed unionized electrician using an equal-opportunity illegal
alien helper to hold the ladder, then two inspections before flipping
the switch -)

But the green new deal with not have the oil to make fancy bulbs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

But the green new deal with not have the oil to make fancy bulbs.

The led bulbs will only work when the sun is out or the wind is blowing.

For the next green new deal we will have to take all the bulbs out
during the day so they can absorbe enough sun light to shine at night
when we bring them back inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2019-03-01, wrote:
I have an overhead light fixture with 3 40 watt bulbs. one of them burnt
out. can I replace only the burnt out bulb with an LED bulb? What if any
would be the consequinces?* Thanks for a reply

Yes, you can replace just the one lamp with an LED.* The consequence
is you
will reduce total power consumption of the fixture.

Tom

Yeah but if he lives in a liberal-governed state or municipality, he'd
probably need to file for* an exemption first- and appeal it twice after
the initial turn-down. Then he would need to purchase a $150 permit,
hire a licensed unionized electrician using an equal-opportunity illegal
alien helper to hold the ladder, then two inspections before flipping
the switch -)

You are right on!!!!!! You might also caution him to hide all his
plastic straws when the inspectors arrive.

But if he lives in a climate change denying republican conservative
area he'll be lynched by his neighbors when they see the single
off-color bulb amidst the original 3. "mixed race" is an abomination
to the Conservatives - so he better change all 4 and hope the
neighbors are color-blind enough not to realize he's falling into the
"liberal trap" of believing science - which might ALSO get him
lynched.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2019-03-01, wrote:
I have an overhead light fixture with 3 40 watt bulbs. one of them burnt
out. can I replace only the burnt out bulb with an LED bulb? What if any
would be the consequinces?Â* Thanks for a reply

Yes, you can replace just the one lamp with an LED.Â* The consequence
is you
will reduce total power consumption of the fixture.

Tom

Yeah but if he lives in a liberal-governed state or municipality, he'd
probably need to file forÂ* an exemption first- and appeal it twice after
the initial turn-down. Then he would need to purchase a $150 permit,
hire a licensed unionized electrician using an equal-opportunity illegal
alien helper to hold the ladder, then two inspections before flipping
the switch -)

You are right on!!!!!! You might also caution him to hide all his
plastic straws when the inspectors arrive.

But if he lives in a climate change denying republican conservative
area he'll be lynched by his neighbors when they see the single
off-color bulb amidst the original 3. "mixed race" is an abomination
to the Conservatives - so he better change all 4 and hope the
neighbors are color-blind enough not to realize he's falling into the
"liberal trap" of believing science - which might ALSO get him
lynched.

If he was a caring guy, he would replace one with a CFL too. Diversity
is good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 15:48:51 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

But the green new deal with not have the oil to make fancy bulbs.

The led bulbs will only work when the sun is out or the wind is blowing.

For the next green new deal we will have to take all the bulbs out
during the day so they can absorbe enough sun light to shine at night
when we bring them back inside.

Will @AOC have red lipstick without oil?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

I have an overhead light fixture with 3 40 watt bulbs. one of them
burnt out. can I replace only the burnt out bulb with an LED bulb?

Yes.

What if any would be the consequinces?

It wouldnt look that great. Better to replace them all with a led bulb.

But if you have it on a dimmer, it may not
dim well unless you replace the dimmer too.

Thanks for a reply

Even one that tells you to shove your head up a dead bear's arse ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wade Garrett wrote:
On 3/1/19 1:47 PM, Tom wrote:
On 2019-03-01, wrote:
[...]

Mebbe so- but the actions would be those of ordinary citizens, not The
Government.

Understand the difference, libbie?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 10:21:36 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Even one that tells you to shove your head up a dead bear's arse ?

Better still, if you finally managed to pull your senile Ozzie head out of
your senile trolling Ozzie arse, senile Rot!

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 1, 2019 at 1:42:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have an overhead light fixture with 3 40 watt bulbs. one of them burnt out. can I replace only the burnt out bulb with an LED bulb? What if any would be the consequinces? Thanks for a reply

You can, but if it's a closed fixture, the LED one may have a shorter life at
the elevated temperature inside from the 80W of the other two bulbs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 1, 2019 at 12:42:26 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I have an overhead light fixture with 3 40 watt bulbs. one of
them burnt out. can I replace only the burnt out bulb with an
LED bulb? What if any would be the consequinces? Thanks for a reply

You fail to mention whether this is an incandescent or fluorescent
fixture.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wade Garrett wrote:
On 3/1/19 1:47 PM, Tom wrote:
On 2019-03-01, wrote:
[...]

Whatever happened to "government of the people, by the people, and
for the people" - I might have gotten the order wrong but - - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 17:27:18 -0800 (PST), Davej
wrote:

On Friday, March 1, 2019 at 12:42:26 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I have an overhead light fixture with 3 40 watt bulbs. one of
them burnt out. can I replace only the burnt out bulb with an
LED bulb? What if any would be the consequinces? Thanks for a reply

You fail to mention whether this is an incandescent or fluorescent
fixture.

Took him at his word it was a "bulb" not a "tube"

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Friday, March 1, 2019 at 12:42:26 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I have an overhead light fixture with 3 40 watt bulbs. one of
them burnt out. can I replace only the burnt out bulb with an
LED bulb? What if any would be the consequinces? Thanks for a reply

You fail to mention whether this is an incandescent or fluorescent
fixture.

Took him at his word it was a "bulb" not a "tube"

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-...2675/203466573

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wade Garrett wrote:
On 3/1/19 1:47 PM, Tom wrote:
On 2019-03-01, wrote:
[...]

The democrats are working to destroy it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/01/2019 02:38 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
But if he lives in a climate change denying republican conservative
area he'll be lynched by his neighbors when they see the single
off-color bulb amidst the original 3. "mixed race" is an abomination
to the Conservatives - so he better change all 4 and hope the
neighbors are color-blind enough not to realize he's falling into the
"liberal trap" of believing science - which might ALSO get him
lynched.

Just as long as he uses nice white LEDs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/01/2019 02:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
If he was a caring guy, he would replace one with a CFL too. Diversity
is good.

If he was really caring he would use a renewable resource -- a whale oil
lantern.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wade Garrett wrote:
On 3/1/19 1:47 PM, Tom wrote:
On 2019-03-01, wrote:
[...]

It was always just another mindless glib line from a polly.

I might have gotten the order wrong but - - - -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 14:10:37 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Whatever happened to "government of the
people, by the people, and for the people" -

It was always just another mindless glib line from a polly.

It never was, you mindless senile troll from Oz!

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/1/19 3:38 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

[snip]

But if he lives in a climate change denying republican conservative
area he'll be lynched by his neighbors when they see the single
off-color bulb amidst the original 3. "mixed race" is an abomination
to the Conservatives - so he better change all 4 and hope the
neighbors are color-blind enough not to realize he's falling into the
"liberal trap" of believing science - which might ALSO get him
lynched.

There's also the "politically correct" lighting, where you have to use
bulbs of as many different colors as possible.

Or use green LED bulbs for the environment :-)

--
"God is not all that exists. God is all that does not exist." [Remy de
Gourmont (1858-1915) French novelist, critic, philosopher]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/1/19 5:21 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

[snip]

Even one that tells you to shove your head up a dead bear's arse ?

Like the Tauntaun in "The Empire Strikes Back"?

--
"God is not all that exists. God is all that does not exist." [Remy de
Gourmont (1858-1915) French novelist, critic, philosopher]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/1/19 7:48 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

[snip]

Whatever happened to "government of the people, by the people, and
for the people" - I might have gotten the order wrong but - - - -

There is NO "the people". Some will always be left out, like all those
who did NOT vote for Trump.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Ad for candy bars: "Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/1/19 8:27 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 03/01/2019 02:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
If he was a caring guy, he would replace one with a CFL too.Â* Diversity
is good.

If he was really caring he would use a renewable resource -- a whale oil
lantern.

Mobil Dick :-)

BTW, in case you didn't know, this name appeared on "Futurama".

--
"God is not all that exists. God is all that does not exist." [Remy de
Gourmont (1858-1915) French novelist, critic, philosopher]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/2/19 7:49 AM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

Can't say my colors look different but the bulb shapes are different and
the LED's appear uniform whereas the incandescents are brightest in the
center.Â* These bulbs are exposed and you can see this but if the fixture
has a glass cover they would not be noticeable.

I did have a color problem with some old CFL's that were too white and
bright to use inside and were relegated to the porch.

The (LED) bulbs are also plastic, and less fragile.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Ad for candy bars: "Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
On 3/2/19 7:49 AM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

Can't say my colors look different but the bulb shapes are different and
the LED's appear uniform whereas the incandescents are brightest in the
center. These bulbs are exposed and you can see this but if the fixture
has a glass cover they would not be noticeable.

I did have a color problem with some old CFL's that were too white and
bright to use inside and were relegated to the porch.

The (LED) bulbs are also plastic, and less fragile.

Not all of them are. The Philips Hue bulbs are glass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 11:17:07 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 3/1/19 3:33 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 10:42:22 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I have an overhead light fixture with 3 40 watt bulbs. one of them
burnt out. can I replace only the burnt out bulb with an LED bulb? What
if any would be the consequinces? Thanks for a reply
The consequence would be you end updoing the same thing 3 more
times. Change them all and get it over with.
The color temperature of the LED will be different than the
incandescents, so it will "look goofy" if you just change the one.

Several years ago I often saw those "goofy lights", with mixtures of
white CFL/LED bulbs mixed in with the "dirty yellow" (so called "warm
white") bulbs.

I guess that is a personal preference.

Yep.

For general lighting I prefer the dirty yellow

I hated it when I changed over to Philips Hue leds. Even
tho before that I use 150W PAR38 bulbs inside the house.

I got the dirty yellow ones with the initial starter kit and
put them in the least used rooms like the room I store
the brewed beer in etc and in the bedroom. Use the
color bulbs in the main room and kitchen which is
off the L of the main room so I could select cool white.

But I now find that I don't even notice the dirty
yellow in the bedroom anymore. Not sure I'd
like it for the main room and kitchen tho.

and most of my lights are on dimmers,

All the Hues have dimming built in.

just for that reason.

Why just for dirty yellow ?

I agree for task lighting bright white may work better.
I have hot white LEDs over my work benches.

I select cool white.

I have "natural light" tubes in the kitchen light tho.

I used to use fluorescents on the kitchen but now have Hue led strips
over the benches and a number of Hue color bulbs set to cool white.

I am one of those people who think too much
light at night screws up your circadian rhythm.

I don't get that effect. But I keep pretty weird hours,
normally go to bed by 9pm and its unusual to get
up later than 5am.

In the summer, very hot here, not unusual to have 10
days in a row over 100F, I have a light on when eating
dinner in the evening but turn it off after eating and usually
just have the two computer screens on in the evening.

I don't have any physical switches at all anymore,
use the Hue motion sensors to turn the lights on
automatically for all rooms and use siri to turn
them all off when going to sleep. I have to use
siri to turn do not disturb on because of the
unusual hours I sleep so no big deal to turn the
lights off too.

Most people say I live in a dark house.

Yeah, I mostly operate like that myself. I used to think
that I did that in summer because the 150W PAR38s
do get pretty hot but find I still prefer to turn the
room lights off after eating even now with the Hues.

I don't in winter tho.

The Hue system isnt cheap but very powerful and flexible.

On 2019-03-01, wrote:
[...]

The republicans have already obliterated it with their investure and
support of the "dick Tater" little strongman "thumper".

No work left for ther Democrats to do IF that was their intention
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 11:33:35 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 3/1/19 7:48 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

[snip]

Whatever happened to "government of the people, by the people, and
for the people" - I might have gotten the order wrong but - - - -

There is NO "the people". Some will always be left out, like all those
who did NOT vote for Trump.

That's the sad part - the"asshole in charge" doesn't realise he is
to govern for the good of ALL the people, not just his small crime
family inner circle, or his "chearleaders" (ever notice inhigh school
the "chear leaders" were generally not "the sharpest knives in the
block" but more likely the good-looking airheads????)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 06:02:11 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

The (LED) bulbs are also plastic, and less fragile.

Not all of them are. The Philips Hue bulbs are glass.

Are you sure, senile troll? Senilely sure again? BG