DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Self-aligning screw thread? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/631246-self-aligning-screw-thread.html)

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] February 20th 19 05:46 PM

Self-aligning screw thread?

On 20/02/2019 14:54, rbowman wrote:
On 02/20/2019 04:08 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 20/02/2019 10:14, charles wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
On 20/02/2019 03:42, rbowman wrote:
I wish they had.Â* Ever tried to converse with a Glaswegian?

No, but I did try to watch 'Trainspotting' without the subtitles
before
giving up. I am quite happy that Jonny Lee Miller in his Sherlock
Holmes role in 'Elementary' speaks English. I understand it took him a
lot of practice to mimic an incomprehensible Scot.

Glaswegian is almost Gaelic.

arr - no - nothing like

Apologies. It's scandinavian, more.

I was trying to work out what langaue it was based on..

Perhaps it was a Danish influence. Danish has been referred to as a
throat disease, generally by Swedes.

German, with a seasick accent.

its shoes.

Rod Speed February 20th 19 05:59 PM

Self-aligning screw thread?

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 02/20/2019 02:55 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 20/02/2019 03:23, rbowman wrote:
On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 02:06:12 -0000, rbowman wrote:

Losers must be deleted or the world will never advance. It's called
evolution.

In the current climate losers are coddled. It's called devolution.

When we run low on resources, we'll have to let them die off. I
actually received an email the other day asking me to sign some
bull****
petition because some prisoners in New York were "forced to endure
freezing temperatures" when the heating broke. Er... fully clothed,
indoors, away from rain and wind. That's not cold.

That is the usual solution in population dynamics. Animals reproduce
until they exceed the carrying capacity of the environment then the
less fit die off. One would think humans are intelligent to cull the
herd before disaster strikes but that never seems to be the case.

Ah, well its obvious that any moral or legal right to kill your own
species is PROBABLY more dangerous to it than it simply dying of disease
or starvation.

Outright killing is dangerous; keeping populations fed and housed that
have been abusing the system for generations is insane.

Yeah, much better to let them die like flys in the Irish potato famine etc
and in the famines we used to see in India and China but dont anymore.
The chinese actually resorted to eating their neighbours kids, because
it was easier to do that than eating your own kids and let the neighbours
eat yours.

Peeler[_3_] February 20th 19 07:28 PM

Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 04:59:59 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Yeah, much better to let them die like flys in the Irish potato famine etc
and in the famines we used to see in India and China but don¢t anymore.
The chinese actually resorted to eating their neighbours kids, because
it was easier to do that than eating your own kids and let the neighbours
eat yours.

What virus ate up your brains, senile Ozzietard? Was it the AIDS virus?

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Commander Kinsey February 20th 19 07:39 PM

Self-aligning screw thread?

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 14:44:09 -0000, rbowman wrote:

[...]

Agreed. If you're inferior to others, you should die off.

Commander Kinsey February 20th 19 07:42 PM

Self-aligning screw thread?

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 03:42:40 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 01:59:44 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/18/2019 08:36 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 01:17:22 -0000, wrote:

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 18:03:48 -0500, wrote:

In the 21st century, has someone not invented a screw thread which
always aligns perfectly? Even a simple bottle top never goes on
straight, you have to turn the bloody thing backwards to make it jump
into place.

Methinks what you are looking for is called a "cork".

BTW, we teach our children the "turn it backwards" maneuver.

In the ordinance business we had to unteach that trick for guys
installing long time delay bomb fuses.

Explain.

Also explain why we call our UK maps "ordinance survey".

Actually you don't; you call them 'Ordnance Survey'. The term goes back
to the Jacobite uprising. Britain wanted an accurate map of Scotland so
they could nuke the daft ****s.

I wish they had. Ever tried to converse with a Glaswegian?

No, but I did try to watch 'Trainspotting' without the subtitles before
giving up. I am quite happy that Jonny Lee Miller in his Sherlock Holmes
role in 'Elementary' speaks English. I understand it took him a lot of
practice to mimic an incomprehensible Scot.

I once made a delivery to a Scots woman, who had the cheek to say, "Don't you understand English?" I replied, "Yes, but you're either drunk or Glaswegian." She refused the delivery :-)

Commander Kinsey February 20th 19 07:46 PM

Self-aligning screw thread?

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 13:43:06 -0000, Meanie wrote:

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 17:19:29 -0000, Meanie wrote:

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 23:03:48 -0000, wrote:

In the 21st century, has someone not invented a screw thread which
always aligns perfectly? Even a simple bottle top never goes on
straight, you have to turn the bloody thing backwards to make it jump
into place.

Methinks what you are looking for is called a "cork".

What I'm looking for is an inventor to bring us into this century. I'm
really not impressed with the devices we use today.

Good thing nobody gives a **** what you think. You don't like something,
make it better, collect the money and STFU!

There are billions of people in the world, a lot of which are brilliant
inventors, they're the ones that should be doing it.

..and we've established you are brilliant nor that bright since you are
completely incapable of aligning a screw properly.

Most people have the same problem.

Commander Kinsey February 20th 19 07:48 PM

Self-aligning screw thread?

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 16:50:11 -0000, Meanie wrote:

On 2/20/2019 8:43 AM, Meanie wrote:
On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 17:19:29 -0000, Meanie wrote:

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 23:03:48 -0000, wrote:

In the 21st century, has someone not invented a screw thread which
always aligns perfectly? Even a simple bottle top never goes on
straight, you have to turn the bloody thing backwards to make it jump
into place.

Methinks what you are looking for is called a "cork".

What I'm looking for is an inventor to bring us into this century. I'm
really not impressed with the devices we use today.

Good thing nobody gives a **** what you think. You don't like something,
make it better, collect the money and STFU!

There are billions of people in the world, a lot of which are
brilliant inventors, they're the ones that should be doing it.

..and we've established you are brilliant nor that bright since you are
completely incapable of aligning a screw properly.

Correction: "aren't" brilliant.....

Oh dear, shot yourself in the foot there didn't you? Can't align your fingers with the keyboard properly eh?

You remind me of an American professor. I'd fixed something on his computer, and required him to type his password. He asked me to move out of the way. I looked to one side and covered my eyes, and promised him I wouldn't look, then he rather angrily told me he couldn't possibly type from a slight angle!

Commander Kinsey February 20th 19 07:50 PM

Self-aligning screw thread?

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 03:38:14 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 02:01:27 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/18/2019 10:08 AM, BillD wrote:
Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 01:17:22 -0000, wrote:

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 18:03:48 -0500, wrote:

In the 21st century, has someone not invented a screw thread which
always aligns perfectly? Even a simple bottle top never goes on
straight, you have to turn the bloody thing backwards to make it
jump
into place.

Methinks what you are looking for is called a "cork".

BTW, we teach our children the "turn it backwards" maneuver.

In the ordinance business we had to unteach that trick for guys
installing long time delay bomb fuses.

Explain.

Also explain why we call our UK maps "ordinance survey".

Ordinance is stuff like artillery and so the maps were for them
originally

Ordinance is not ordnance, ffs.

Weren't you the one that confused the two to begin with?

**** no. Try to keep up.

Sorry, "fretwell" and "bowman" get confused in my head, since I don't really know either of you. I just had you down as "that American".

Commander Kinsey February 20th 19 07:50 PM

Self-aligning screw thread?

Commander Kinsey wrote:
Ordinance is stuff like artillery and so the maps were for them
originally

Ordinance is not ordnance, ffs.

Weren't you the one that confused the two to begin with?

**** no. Try to keep up.

Ordinance is not stuff like artillery. Ordnance is.

Ordinance is a legal term for a special sort of tax.

You misspelt theft.

Commander Kinsey February 20th 19 07:52 PM

Self-aligning screw thread?

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 03:17:00 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/19/2019 08:59 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 02:08:44 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/18/2019 08:38 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
They shouldn't call them self tapping because they rarely do unless the
wood is very soft indeed. Usually the force to create the hole wears
off the er.... the bit the screwdriver goes into. I almost always use a
pilot drill first, unless I'm in a hurry, then I curse the bloody screws
when they burr.

Using the correct size of a quality screwdriver helps. What is the UK
equivalent of Harbor Freight?

I always use PZ2 screws with a PZ2 bit on an cordless drill. Not only
is a power drill easier and faster than a manual screwdriver, but you
can concentrate on holding it straight and providing enough force to
keep the bit in the screw head, while the motor does the rotation. I'm
talking about these sort of woodscrews (note this SORT, not these
particular ones, this was the first link I found):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322667640506

All bits are not equal. In the US Harbor Freight is the byword for cheap
Chinese ****. Some of their offerings aren't too bad. Caveat emptor.

The trouble with having a good strong bit is it's more likely to damage the **** screw.

And with pilot drills, I always buy the cheapest possible, because simply by moving your hand slightly to one side by mistake, you can snap any bit of any quality. I'd rather lose cheap ones.

rbowman February 21st 19 01:42 AM

Self-aligning screw thread?

Commander Kinsey wrote:
[...]

I'm the one with the MAGA hat that will put a noose around your neck as
I pour bleach in your mouth...

Clare Snyder February 21st 19 02:18 AM

Self-aligning screw thread?

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 18:42:21 -0700, rbowman

Commander Kinsey wrote:
[...]

You Mark Weiber's cousin now???

Meanie[_2_] February 21st 19 02:35 AM

Self-aligning screw thread?

[...]

Your lack of brilliance needs to point out a typo as your only means of
a retort. Thanks for proving my point.

rbowman February 21st 19 04:36 AM

Self-aligning screw thread?

Commander Kinsey wrote:
[...]

No, I don't think Gunner has a grasp on irony. I do find a bit of
delicious irony in Smollett being indicted on a felony charge. You would
think the leftwing loudmouths would be a little gun shy by now.

It's also amusing Kim Foxx went into duck and cover mode. Of course the
Twitterverse isn't going to admit they were fooled again and the media
are going to bury the story. 'Drama Queen Indicted for Lying' just
doesn't have the click appeal of 'Half Black Half Jewish Gay Man
Assaulted by Evil White Trump Fans'.

Peeler[_3_] February 21st 19 09:23 AM

lowbrowman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 18:42:21 -0700, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling,

I'm the one with the MAGA hat that will put a noose around your neck as
I pour bleach in your mouth...

Nope, you are the one that will suck him off time and again ...under any
guise he might appear on this group.

ChairMan[_6_] February 22nd 19 07:28 PM

Self-aligning screw thread?

wrote:

[...]

why do people continue to reply to these ****witted limey
trolls?

Commander Kinsey February 22nd 19 07:43 PM

Self-aligning screw thread?

Commander Kinsey wrote:
[...]

Don't know or care what a maga is.

Commander Kinsey February 22nd 19 09:00 PM

Self-aligning screw thread?

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 02:35:33 -0000, Meanie wrote:

[...]

Are and aren't is not a typo. A typo is hitting the wrong key. You actually used a word which is an opposite. That's a severe brain fart.

Commander Kinsey February 22nd 19 09:01 PM

Self-aligning screw thread?

wrote:

[...]

Why can you see this conversation? Can't you work out how to killfile me properly?

DerbyBorn[_5_] March 27th 19 07:11 PM

Self-aligning screw thread?

And with pilot drills, I always buy the cheapest possible, because
simply by moving your hand slightly to one side by mistake, you can
snap any bit of any quality. I'd rather lose cheap ones.

Aren't you supposed to give the drill a wiggle before you pull it out. Many
do for some odd reason.

Peeler[_3_] March 27th 19 08:15 PM

Troll-feeding Senile Idiot Alert!

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 19:11:21 GMT, DerbyBorn, another brain dead
troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered:

And with pilot drills, I always buy the cheapest possible, because
simply by moving your hand slightly to one side by mistake, you can
snap any bit of any quality. I'd rather lose cheap ones.

Aren't you supposed to give the drill a wiggle before you pull it out. Many
do for some odd reason.

Reviving a retarded troll's idiotic thread over a month old, senile
troll-feeding idiot? tsk

Phil Kangas[_4_] March 27th 19 08:27 PM

Self-aligning screw thread?

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message

And with pilot drills, I always buy the cheapest
possible, because
simply by moving your hand slightly to one side by
mistake, you can
snap any bit of any quality. I'd rather lose cheap ones.

Aren't you supposed to give the drill a wiggle before you
pull it out. Many
do for some odd reason.

No. They do that to remove the burr at the bottom
but then you get an hourglass shaped hole which
results in a loss of thread depth at the top and the
bottom. I suppose it thicker material it won't matter
as much but in thin stock it will matter. phil k.

devnull March 27th 19 08:49 PM

Self-aligning screw thread?

The trouble with having a good strong bit is it's more likely to damage the **** screw.

And with pilot drills, I always buy the cheapest possible, because simply by moving your hand slightly to one side by mistake, you can snap any bit of any quality.* I'd rather lose cheap ones.

A cheap twist drill dulls quickly so then you have to push harder and then snap.

I like a quality HSS with cobalt twist drill, it stays sharp a lot longer so it cuts easier and faster.

Commander Kinsey March 27th 19 09:14 PM

Self-aligning screw thread?

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 20:49:27 -0000, devnull wrote:

The trouble with having a good strong bit is it's more likely to damage the **** screw.

And with pilot drills, I always buy the cheapest possible, because simply by moving your hand slightly to one side by mistake, you can snap any bit of any quality. I'd rather lose cheap ones.

A cheap twist drill dulls quickly so then you have to push harder and then snap.

I like a quality HSS with cobalt twist drill, it stays sharp a lot longer so it cuts easier and faster.

Fine for larger ones, but thin drills for pilots, you can break any quality drill by simply being not too exact with the angle. Better to waste cheap ones.

--
"A goal is a dream taken seriously." - Henry David Thoreau

devnull March 27th 19 09:50 PM

Self-aligning screw thread?

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 20:49:27 -0000, devnull wrote:

The trouble with having a good strong bit is it's more likely to damage the **** screw.

And with pilot drills, I always buy the cheapest possible, because simply by moving your hand slightly to one side by mistake, you can snap any bit of any quality.* I'd rather lose cheap ones.

A cheap twist drill dulls quickly so then you have to push harder and then snap.

I like a quality HSS with cobalt twist drill, it stays sharp a lot longer so it cuts easier and faster.

Fine for larger ones, but thin drills for pilots, you can break any quality drill by simply being not too exact with the angle. Better to waste cheap ones.

Breakage has not been a problem for me.* I guess US people are more skilled with a hand drill.* ;-)

Commander Kinsey March 27th 19 09:53 PM

Self-aligning screw thread?

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 21:50:31 -0000, devnull wrote:

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 20:49:27 -0000, devnull wrote:

The trouble with having a good strong bit is it's more likely to damage the **** screw.

And with pilot drills, I always buy the cheapest possible, because simply by moving your hand slightly to one side by mistake, you can snap any bit of any quality. I'd rather lose cheap ones.

A cheap twist drill dulls quickly so then you have to push harder and then snap.

I like a quality HSS with cobalt twist drill, it stays sharp a lot longer so it cuts easier and faster.

Fine for larger ones, but thin drills for pilots, you can break any quality drill by simply being not too exact with the angle. Better to waste cheap ones.

Breakage has not been a problem for me. I guess US people are more skilled with a hand drill. ;-)

I'm talking about the thin 2-3mm pilots. A few degrees off the right angle and they just snap.

--
"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Commander Kinsey March 27th 19 09:55 PM

Self-aligning screw thread?

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 21:50:31 -0000, devnull wrote:

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 20:49:27 -0000, devnull wrote:

The trouble with having a good strong bit is it's more likely to damage the **** screw.

And with pilot drills, I always buy the cheapest possible, because simply by moving your hand slightly to one side by mistake, you can snap any bit of any quality. I'd rather lose cheap ones.

A cheap twist drill dulls quickly so then you have to push harder and then snap.

I like a quality HSS with cobalt twist drill, it stays sharp a lot longer so it cuts easier and faster.

Fine for larger ones, but thin drills for pilots, you can break any quality drill by simply being not too exact with the angle. Better to waste cheap ones.

Breakage has not been a problem for me. I guess US people are more skilled with a hand drill. ;-)

I think US people have more inertia so they can't move sideways so quickly. Just because there's a MacDonalds on every street doesn't mean you have to use all of them.

--
"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Peeler[_3_] March 27th 19 10:03 PM

Troll-feeding Senile Idiot Alert!

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 16:49:27 -0400, devnull, another brain dead,
troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered:

A cheap twist drill dulls quickly so then you have to push harder and then snap.

I like a quality HSS with cobalt twist drill, it stays sharp a lot longer so it cuts easier and faster.

The Scottish ****** likes a quality cocksucker like you, you senile sucker
of troll cock! BG

Peeler[_3_] March 27th 19 10:05 PM

Troll-feeding Senile Idiot Alert!

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 17:50:31 -0400, devnull, another brain dead,
troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered:

Breakage has not been a problem for me.* I guess US people are more
skilled with a hand drill.* ;-)

Senile Yanks like you are especially skilled giving a ****** like him a hand
job! BG

devnull March 27th 19 10:06 PM

Self-aligning screw thread?

https://news.sky.com/story/seven-cha...oblem-11583981

Commander Kinsey March 27th 19 10:47 PM

Self-aligning screw thread?

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 22:06:09 -0000, devnull wrote:

[...]

Are you really that ignorant? Americans are infamous the world over:
https://www.inc.com/bill-murphy-jr/j...led-truth.html

--
My truck does not leak. It's just marking its territory!

Peeler[_3_] March 27th 19 10:50 PM

Troll-feeding Senile Idiot Alert!

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 18:06:09 -0400, devnull, another brain dead,
troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered:

I think US people have more inertia so they can't move sideways so
quickly.* Just because there's a MacDonalds on every street doesn't mean
you have to use all of them.

https://news.sky.com/story/seven-cha...oblem-11583981

Another poor senile troll-feeding Yankietard who has been drawn into the
sociopathic ******'s world of idiocy! LOL

rbowman March 28th 19 03:20 AM

Self-aligning screw thread?

[...]

I won't let you near my 0.35 mm drills then... A couple of winters ago
I decided to build a model boat and figured starting small was a good
idea. Sweet Jesus, everything was tiny. I've built real boats faster. At
least for me it was not a relaxing experience.

Clare Snyder March 28th 19 03:39 AM

Self-aligning screw thread?

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 21:20:22 -0600, rbowman

[...]

I haven't gotten into boats, but I can drill a half inch hole in
steel on a real car faster than I can drill a .035" hole in a diecast
model!!

Peeler[_3_] March 28th 19 09:56 AM

lowbrowman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 21:20:22 -0600, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling,

I won't let you near my 0.35 mm drills then... A couple of winters ago
I decided to build a model boat and figured starting small was a good
idea. Sweet Jesus, everything was tiny. I've built real boats faster. At
least for me it was not a relaxing experience.

FINALLY you are back to sucking him off again! What took you so long,
lowbrowman? Everyone knows that you are the Scottish troll's most dedicated
cocksucker on this group! BG

Commander Kinsey March 28th 19 06:49 PM

Self-aligning screw thread?

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 03:20:22 -0000, rbowman wrote:

[...]

If it's plastic, fine, but drilling into hardwood with a 3mm pilot drill requires a steady hand, or several spare drill bits.

--
A rolling stone gathers momentum.

rbowman March 29th 19 02:55 AM

Self-aligning screw thread?

[...]

1/32 x 1/64 brass strip was furnished to fabricate the hardware, and you
have to drill a hole in the 1/32 side for the hinge pins. 1/32" is 0.8mm
so your 3mm isn't going to work. I bought a set of bits that ranged from
..030mm to 1.00mm.

Maybe some people get off on writing the lord's prayer on a pinhead, but
I'm not one of them. If I ever build another boat it wil lbe at least
12' long, not 6 inches, and I won't need 4x magnifiers to see the damn
thing.

https://modelexpo-online.com/model-s...boat-1-4-scale

To really top the cake Amazon labels it as 'Model Shipways 18th Century
Longboat 1/4" Scale Wood Model Kit - Intro to Shipmodeling'

rbowman March 29th 19 02:58 AM

Self-aligning screw thread?

On 03/27/2019 09:39 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
[...]

I have trouble finding gloves to fit my XXXL paws and the cataracts are
catching up to me. Miniatures just aren't my thing. I used to wire wrap
circuit boards but with the advent of surface mount stuff I'll leave
that to the kids. Can't see it, can't solder it.

Peeler[_3_] March 29th 19 07:08 AM

lowbrowman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 20:55:16 -0600, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling,

Maybe some people get off on writing the lord's prayer on a pinhead, but

YOU sick asshole get off on sucking off the pinhead, you endlessly driveling
senile Yankietard! tsk

TOJ March 29th 19 12:41 PM

Self-aligning screw thread?

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 20:55:16 -0600, rbowman wrote:

To really top the cake Amazon labels it as 'Model Shipways 18th Century
Longboat 1/4" Scale Wood Model Kit - Intro to Shipmodeling'

Perhaps they've updated it because it now says '1/48 scale'.

--
TOJ.