Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Backflow preventer (protecting potable water supply)

I seem to see three types of backflow preventers:

1. valve + vacuum breaker
2. double-check-valves
3. double-check-valves + pressure regulator

If I don't need or want pressure regulation how do you compare 1 vs 2 above?

This would be for lawn irrigation or water-powered sump pump.

Examples:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Zurn-3-4...720A/100197627

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Febco-3-...-850/205888731

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Apollo-3...4A2F/307723094

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/2019 10:14 PM, Davej wrote:
I seem to see three types of backflow preventers:

1. valve + vacuum breaker
2. double-check-valves
3. double-check-valves + pressure regulator

If I don't need or want pressure regulation how do you compare 1 vs 2 above?

This would be for lawn irrigation or water-powered sump pump.

Examples:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Zurn-3-4...720A/100197627

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Febco-3-...-850/205888731

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Apollo-3...4A2F/307723094

If you've not done so already, check your local codes to see if they
specify one type. Some do not allow double check, others do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 10:34:21 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/12/2019 10:14 PM, Davej wrote:
I seem to see three types of backflow preventers:

1. valve + vacuum breaker
2. double-check-valves
3. double-check-valves + pressure regulator

If I don't need or want pressure regulation how do you compare 1 vs 2 above?

This would be for lawn irrigation or water-powered sump pump.

Examples:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Zurn-3-4...720A/100197627

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Febco-3-...-850/205888731

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Apollo-3...4A2F/307723094

If you've not done so already, check your local codes to see if they
specify one type. Some do not allow double check, others do.

Will do. I think the vacuum-breaker approach seems more logical.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 1:33:48 PM UTC-5, Davej wrote:
On Saturday, January 12, 2019 at 10:34:21 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/12/2019 10:14 PM, Davej wrote:
I seem to see three types of backflow preventers:

1. valve + vacuum breaker
2. double-check-valves
3. double-check-valves + pressure regulator

If I don't need or want pressure regulation how do you compare 1 vs 2 above?

This would be for lawn irrigation or water-powered sump pump.

Examples:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Zurn-3-4...720A/100197627

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Febco-3-...-850/205888731

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Apollo-3...4A2F/307723094

If you've not done so already, check your local codes to see if they
specify one type. Some do not allow double check, others do.

Will do. I think the vacuum-breaker approach seems more logical.

That's what's used here, NJ for irrigation connection. I would bet it's
probably part of the widely used national plumbing code.

2-inch drain line backflow preventer? Ron Home Repair 17 September 4th 17 02:14 AM
Pictorial DIY for repairing Wilkins Zurn 975XL Backflow Preventer Danny D. Home Repair 11 June 27th 14 12:46 AM
Backflow preventer on washing machine connections? Percival P. Cassidy Home Repair 16 July 15th 11 04:38 PM
backflow preventer? peter Home Repair 2 July 12th 06 07:46 PM
Water flowing through vent of backflow preventer [email protected] Home Repair 3 April 24th 05 12:32 PM