DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Leviton circuit breakers (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/628697-leviton-circuit-breakers.html)

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= January 2nd 19 08:21 PM

Leviton circuit breakers

I was reading an advertisement by Leviton that stated their AFCI/GFCI
circuit breakers were the only ones that met the new standard for indicating
end of life.

I also stumbled across an episode of This Old House where the electrician
was installing a Leviton load center.

Any thoughts or opinions? I suppose that will increase the cost up^.

--
Tekkie

Clare Snyder January 2nd 19 09:25 PM

Leviton circuit breakers

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 15:21:27 -0500, Tekkie® wrote:

I was reading an advertisement by Leviton that stated their AFCI/GFCI
circuit breakers were the only ones that met the new standard for indicating
end of life.

I also stumbled across an episode of This Old House where the electrician
was installing a Leviton load center.

Any thoughts or opinions? I suppose that will increase the cost up^.

Sure looks like a winner if it lives up to it's promise. It is
designed tomake wiring AFC and GFC circuits dead sinple, and very neet
- with NO pigtails and no "common " neutral busses. Every circuit is
easy to follow and connect - no chance of "floating" neutrals.

Won't likely be much more expensive than a Square D QO panel and
devices, which are the "gold standard" up until now.

If I had not just installed the QO 2 years ago I'd defnitely be
looking at the Leviton offering pretty closely - - -

Meanie[_2_] January 2nd 19 11:49 PM

Leviton circuit breakers

On 1/2/2019 3:21 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

I was reading an advertisement by Leviton that stated their AFCI/GFCI
circuit breakers were the only ones that met the new standard for indicating
end of life.

I also stumbled across an episode of This Old House where the electrician
was installing a Leviton load center.

Any thoughts or opinions? I suppose that will increase the cost up^.

https://www.ieci.org/newsroom-and-in...hout-exception

I do believe a small price increase will partake. Like everything else,
it'll drop as sales increase.

[email protected] January 3rd 19 01:51 AM

Leviton circuit breakers

On Wed, 02 Jan 2019 16:25:25 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

[...]

I have never seen a Leviton panel, how do the GFCIs connect to the
neutral bus?

\[email protected] January 3rd 19 02:37 AM

Leviton circuit breakers

wrote:

[...]

No wires connect directly to the new breakers. The breaker just plugs in
to the backplane busses of the Load Center. Branch wiring is done to
lugs in the Load Center, not on the breaker

Makes replacing a breaker a simple pull-out/plug-in operation.

https://www.leviton.com/standalone/L...ter/index.html

Clare Snyder January 3rd 19 02:52 AM

Leviton circuit breakers

wrote:

[...]

Neutral, line and load are all plug-in. No screws on the breaker. No
common neutral connection either. Each cable (circuit) connects to
screw terminals on the panel at the breaker. Makes for the neatest
power distribution panel you've ever seen - but a bit of a problem for
an upgrade panel. Perfect for a new install. The way a power panel
SHOULD have been designed to start with, and definitely the way a
power panel should be for AFCI.

[email protected] January 3rd 19 05:04 AM

Leviton circuit breakers

wrote:

[...]

You are adding "plug on" connections in addition to a lug. If the
connectors are good it is OK I suppose but every time you add a
connection you add a potential failure.

dpb[_3_] January 3rd 19 01:13 PM

Leviton circuit breakers

On 1/2/2019 11:04 PM, wrote:

You are adding "plug on" connections in addition to a lug. If the
connectors are good it is OK I suppose but every time you add a
connection you add a potential failure.

Same number/type of connections; just in different location...instead of
one on the breaker it's on the panel buss bar; the conventional breaker
still "plugs in"

I've yet to see one, however; wasn't aware Leviton had entered the fray
with more than just their traditional devices...

trader_4 January 3rd 19 01:48 PM

Leviton circuit breakers

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 8:13:20 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 1/2/2019 11:04 PM, wrote:

You are adding "plug on" connections in addition to a lug. If the
connectors are good it is OK I suppose but every time you add a
connection you add a potential failure.

Same number/type of connections; just in different location...instead of
one on the breaker it's on the panel buss bar; the conventional breaker
still "plugs in"

I've yet to see one, however; wasn't aware Leviton had entered the fray
with more than just their traditional devices...

--

I'd have to think about it a bit, but I think Gfre is right, sounds like
there is at least one more connection and certainly they are different

Jack January 3rd 19 02:34 PM

Leviton circuit breakers

On 1/3/19 12:04 AM, wrote:
You are adding "plug on" connections in addition to a lug. If the
connectors are good it is OK I suppose but every time you add a
connection you add a potential failure.

Agreed! And Leviton seems like MegaBigBoxStore junk to me. I'll stick with Siemens.

[email protected] January 3rd 19 04:00 PM

Leviton circuit breakers

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 07:13:12 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 1/2/2019 11:04 PM, wrote:

You are adding "plug on" connections in addition to a lug. If the
connectors are good it is OK I suppose but every time you add a
connection you add a potential failure.

Same number/type of connections; just in different location...instead of
one on the breaker it's on the panel buss bar; the conventional breaker
still "plugs in"

It depends on the breaker but on most there is only one "plug in"
connection and the rest are terminals or lugs. (The load side circuit
and the neutral on a GFCI/AFCI)
Here you have 2 or 3 plug in connections plus the terminal for the
load side connection.
On commercial panels (QOM) the line side connection is a screw
terminal too, no plug in at all.

..shadow, me & my January 3rd 19 04:39 PM

Leviton circuit breakers

LMAO!! So now you know more than Leviton, yet you sit and run mouth on
usenet all day...LOL

Oh the ****witery.

"trader_4" wrote in message
: On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 8:13:20 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
: On 1/2/2019 11:04 PM, wrote:
: ...
:
: You are adding "plug on" connections in addition to a lug. If the
: connectors are good it is OK I suppose but every time you add a
: connection you add a potential failure.
:
: Same number/type of connections; just in different location...instead of
: one on the breaker it's on the panel buss bar; the conventional breaker
: still "plugs in"
:
: I've yet to see one, however; wasn't aware Leviton had entered the fray
: with more than just their traditional devices...
:
: --
:

Clare Snyder January 3rd 19 05:15 PM

Leviton circuit breakers

wrote:

[...]

What you have to remember though is all the screw connections are
made on a SOLID fixed buss connection and are only made ONCE. The
screw never needs to be touched or removed in the life of the panel,
and all the "plug on" connections are on a solid copper blade.

As far as quality of construction is concerned a Square D QO is
likely still as good or better - but it is an antiquated design that
is not "friendly" to AFCI breaker installation - and there is NO
neater install for new construction than the Leviton setup.

Virtually all the other available panels on the market today are
inferior in one or more ways to the QO - which is definitely reflected
in the price.