Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leviton circuit breakers

I was reading an advertisement by Leviton that stated their AFCI/GFCI
circuit breakers were the only ones that met the new standard for indicating
end of life.

I also stumbled across an episode of This Old House where the electrician
was installing a Leviton load center.

Any thoughts or opinions? I suppose that will increase the cost up^.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 15:21:27 -0500, Tekkie® wrote:

I was reading an advertisement by Leviton that stated their AFCI/GFCI
circuit breakers were the only ones that met the new standard for indicating
end of life.

I also stumbled across an episode of This Old House where the electrician
was installing a Leviton load center.

Any thoughts or opinions? I suppose that will increase the cost up^.

Sure looks like a winner if it lives up to it's promise. It is
designed tomake wiring AFC and GFC circuits dead sinple, and very neet
- with NO pigtails and no "common " neutral busses. Every circuit is
easy to follow and connect - no chance of "floating" neutrals.

Won't likely be much more expensive than a Square D QO panel and
devices, which are the "gold standard" up until now.

If I had not just installed the QO 2 years ago I'd defnitely be
looking at the Leviton offering pretty closely - - -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/2/2019 3:21 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

I was reading an advertisement by Leviton that stated their AFCI/GFCI
circuit breakers were the only ones that met the new standard for indicating
end of life.

I also stumbled across an episode of This Old House where the electrician
was installing a Leviton load center.

Any thoughts or opinions? I suppose that will increase the cost up^.

https://www.ieci.org/newsroom-and-in...hout-exception

I do believe a small price increase will partake. Like everything else,
it'll drop as sales increase.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 Jan 2019 16:25:25 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

[...]

I have never seen a Leviton panel, how do the GFCIs connect to the
neutral bus?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No wires connect directly to the new breakers. The breaker just plugs in
to the backplane busses of the Load Center. Branch wiring is done to
lugs in the Load Center, not on the breaker

Makes replacing a breaker a simple pull-out/plug-in operation.

https://www.leviton.com/standalone/L...ter/index.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Neutral, line and load are all plug-in. No screws on the breaker. No
common neutral connection either. Each cable (circuit) connects to
screw terminals on the panel at the breaker. Makes for the neatest
power distribution panel you've ever seen - but a bit of a problem for
an upgrade panel. Perfect for a new install. The way a power panel
SHOULD have been designed to start with, and definitely the way a
power panel should be for AFCI.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You are adding "plug on" connections in addition to a lug. If the
connectors are good it is OK I suppose but every time you add a
connection you add a potential failure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

What you have to remember though is all the screw connections are
made on a SOLID fixed buss connection and are only made ONCE. The
screw never needs to be touched or removed in the life of the panel,
and all the "plug on" connections are on a solid copper blade.

As far as quality of construction is concerned a Square D QO is
likely still as good or better - but it is an antiquated design that
is not "friendly" to AFCI breaker installation - and there is NO
neater install for new construction than the Leviton setup.

Virtually all the other available panels on the market today are
inferior in one or more ways to the QO - which is definitely reflected
in the price.