Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LED can light replacements

I just replaced our light fixtures in our basement with LED can lights. When I turned off the lights at the switch, I noticed that the LEDs were still dimly lit. Would there be some stray current that wouldn't be enough for an incandescent light to work but is enough for an LED. Or just a faulty switch

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

c1gmlm wrote

I just replaced our light fixtures in our basement with LED can lights.
When I turned off the lights at the switch, I noticed that the LEDs
were still dimly lit. Would there be some stray current that wouldn't
be enough for an incandescent light to work but is enough for an LED.

Yes, not that uncommon with some less than ideal light wiring.

Or just a faulty switch

Switches dont normally fail like that.

Can also be a dimmer if one is involved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 19:52:39 -0800 (PST), c1gmlm
wrote:

I just replaced our light fixtures in our basement with LED can lights. When I turned off the lights at the switch, I noticed that the LEDs were still dimly lit. Would there be some stray current that wouldn't be enough for an incandescent light to work but is enough for an LED. Or just a faulty switch

Thanks.

LEDs may glow a while after you turn them off as the capacitors
discharge,. Check them in an hour or so
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 10:52:43 PM UTC-5, c1gmlm wrote:
I just replaced our light fixtures in our basement with LED can lights. When I turned off the lights at the switch, I noticed that the LEDs were still dimly lit. Would there be some stray current that wouldn't be enough for an incandescent light to work but is enough for an LED. Or just a faulty switch

Thanks.

Could be either, but I've never seen a switch fail that way. Time to
start diagnosing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 06:25:18 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 10:52:43 PM UTC-5, c1gmlm wrote:
I just replaced our light fixtures in our basement with LED can lights. When I turned off the lights at the switch, I noticed that the LEDs were still dimly lit. Would there be some stray current that wouldn't be enough for an incandescent light to work but is enough for an LED. Or just a faulty switch

Thanks.

Could be either, but I've never seen a switch fail that way. Time to
start diagnosing.

The LED shop lights in my garage stay glowing for several minutes
after I turn them off but it has to be really dark to see it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 10:52:43 PM UTC-5, c1gmlm wrote:
I just replaced our light fixtures in our basement with LED can lights.. When I turned off the lights at the switch, I noticed that the LEDs were still dimly lit. Would there be some stray current that wouldn't be enough for an incandescent light to work but is enough for an LED. Or just a faulty switch

Thanks.

Could be either, but I've never seen a switch fail that way. Time to
start diagnosing.

The LED shop lights in my garage stay glowing for several minutes
after I turn them off but it has to be really dark to see it.

I have a bunch of LED can replacements here, a few different kinds,
also bulb replacement, haven't seen that effect. But it's certainly
worth checking before going further.