Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Fulsome

OT Has anyone noticed the misuse of the word fulsome lately?

I've heard it used 3 times to mean full, which it does not mean, when
the speakers, all of them college grads, probably lawyers, could have as
easily used "full".

Another word heading down the drain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2018 05:14 AM, micky wrote:
OT Has anyone noticed the misuse of the word fulsome lately?

I've heard it used 3 times to mean full, which it does not mean, when
the speakers, all of them college grads, probably lawyers, could have as
easily used "full".

Another word heading down the drain.

Micky, you are truly fulsome.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/fulsome
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 7:14:52 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
OT Has anyone noticed the misuse of the word fulsome lately?

I've heard it used 3 times to mean full, which it does not mean, when
the speakers, all of them college grads, probably lawyers, could have as
easily used "full".

Another word heading down the drain.

Language changes. I'm still coming to terms with "data" as
a singular noun.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2018 10:25 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 7:14:52 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
OT Has anyone noticed the misuse of the word fulsome lately?

I've heard it used 3 times to mean full, which it does not mean, when
the speakers, all of them college grads, probably lawyers, could have as
easily used "full".

Another word heading down the drain.

Language changes. I'm still coming to terms with "data" as
a singular noun.

Cindy Hamilton

I recall a little Latin and clipped this from Google. Says data is
plural and datum is singular. There are other Latin derived words like
alumni and alumnus for singular and plural.

da·ta
/ˈdadə,ˈdādə/
noun
noun: data

facts and statistics collected together for reference or analysis.
synonyms: facts, figures, statistics, details, particulars,
specifics; More
information, intelligence, material, input;
informalinfo
"a lack of data on the drug's side effects"
Computing
the quantities, characters, or symbols on which operations are
performed by a computer, being stored and transmitted in the form of
electrical signals and recorded on magnetic, optical, or mechanical
recording media.
Philosophy
things known or assumed as facts, making the basis of reasoning
or calculation.

da·tum
/ˈdādəm,ˈdadəm/
noun
noun: datum; plural noun: data

1.
a piece of information.
an assumption or premise from which inferences may be drawn.
2.
a fixed starting point of a scale or operation.

Origin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 08:07:57 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 12/19/2018 05:14 AM, micky wrote:
OT Has anyone noticed the misuse of the word fulsome lately?
I've heard it used 3 times to mean full, which it does not mean, when
the speakers, all of them college grads, probably lawyers, could have as
easily used "full".
Another word heading down the drain.

Micky, you are truly fulsome.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/fulsome

His fulsomeness is exceeded only by his inanity. :-)
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/18 4:30 AM, BurfordTJustice wrote:
Of large size or quantity; generous or abundant

aka: Fat Bitch!

yep, so to use it in a sentence "Burpfords mother is Fulsome"

:
: I've heard it used 3 times to mean full, which it does not mean, when
: the speakers, all of them college grads, probably lawyers, could have as
: easily used "full".
:
: Another word heading down the drain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 12:24:14 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 12/19/2018 10:25 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 7:14:52 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
OT Has anyone noticed the misuse of the word fulsome lately?

I've heard it used 3 times to mean full, which it does not mean, when
the speakers, all of them college grads, probably lawyers, could have as
easily used "full".

Another word heading down the drain.

Language changes. I'm still coming to terms with "data" as
a singular noun.

Cindy Hamilton

I recall a little Latin and clipped this from Google. Says data is
plural and datum is singular. There are other Latin derived words like
alumni and alumnus for singular and plural.

Correct. However, data is changing to a singular collective
noun: "Data is stored in memory."

Cindy Hamilton