Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Miniblinds. Up or down?

In winter. Heat registers on outside walls. It would seem to me heat would travel up but cold would still go down. Down looks like a better seal. Any savings?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 15:13:22 -0700 (PDT), Thomas
wrote:

In winter. Heat registers on outside walls
It would seem to me heat would travel up
but cold would still go down.
Down looks like a better seal. Any savings?

Adjust your window coverings so that they allow
maximum solar gain during daylight hours.
During non-daylight hours - adjust your blinds
to provide the least amount of free entertainment
for your neighbours.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/3/2018 6:13 PM, Thomas wrote:
In winter. Heat registers on outside walls. It would seem to me heat would travel up but cold would still go down. Down looks like a better seal. Any savings?

If you get sun, take advantage of it, otherwise, keeping them down and
close will deter drafts. Savings will depends on how well your windows
insulate and stop drafts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I take all the sun I can get. It was a goodnight question from dusk till dawn.
What my eyes see is heat skipping off upturned slats and staying in. Down, normal, would see heat maybe getting sucked into the blinds and onto the colder window.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In winter. Heat registers on outside walls. It would seem to me heat would travel up but cold would still go down. Down looks like a better seal. Any savings?

Save your effort. Adjust blinds as you like. Change your mind? Change
the blinds.
--
"Dumb is local...As soon as you go 15 miles away from your dumbness, you see how dumb you are." -- Sherrod Small
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/3/18 6:13 PM, Thomas wrote:
I take all the sun I can get. It was a goodnight question from dusk till dawn.
What my eyes see is heat skipping off upturned slats and staying in. Down, normal, would see heat maybe getting sucked into the blinds and onto the colder window.

Window shades?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 3, 2018 at 7:42:13 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 11/3/18 6:13 PM, Thomas wrote:
I take all the sun I can get. It was a goodnight question from dusk till dawn.
What my eyes see is heat skipping off upturned slats and staying in. Down, normal, would see heat maybe getting sucked into the blinds and onto the colder window.

Window shades?

Window shades. When I ask about miniblinds what else are they used on?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/3/18 6:13 PM, Thomas wrote:
I take all the sun I can get. It was a goodnight question from dusk till dawn.
What my eyes see is heat skipping off upturned slats and staying in. Down, normal, would see heat maybe getting sucked into the blinds and onto the colder window.

Window shades?

Window shades. When I ask about miniblinds what else are they used on?

My thought was that you use the old style window shades instead of
blinds and pull them down part way. Picture aluminum foil coming off
the roll.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/3/18 6:13 PM, Thomas wrote:
I take all the sun I can get. It was a goodnight question from dusk till dawn.
What my eyes see is heat skipping off upturned slats and staying in. Down, normal, would see heat maybe getting sucked into the blinds and onto the colder window.

Window shades?

Window shades. When I ask about miniblinds what else are they used on?

My thought was that you use the old style window shades instead of
blinds and pull them down part way. Picture aluminum foil coming off
the roll.

I'd think from an energy saving perspective, turning them slanted up would
be a tad better, but probably doesn't make a lot of difference. Turning
them up usually makes it harder for someone outside to see you inside.