Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repair Plastic Storage Tub

Got a big (24x18x14) generic plastic covered storage tub that's got a
2 inch v-shaped crack in the bottom near the edge. I just use it in the
garage and my default fix would be duct tape.

Better suggestion?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/17/2018 12:59 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got a big (24x18x14) generic plastic covered storage tub that's got a
2 inch v-shaped crack in the bottom near the edge. I just use it in the
garage and my default fix would be duct tape.

Better suggestion?

Most adhesives will not stick. Best would be a heat weld. If epoxy
would stick, you can use that with a little fiberglass tape.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 12:59:17 PM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got a big (24x18x14) generic plastic covered storage tub that's got a
2 inch v-shaped crack in the bottom near the edge. I just use it in the
garage and my default fix would be duct tape.

Better suggestion?

Duct tape is what I'd use. Simple, fast, effective.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 17 Sep 2018 12:59:13 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

Got a big (24x18x14) generic plastic covered storage tub that's got a
2 inch v-shaped crack in the bottom near the edge. I just use it in the
garage and my default fix would be duct tape.

Better suggestion?

Has anyone actually used Flex-tape, or Flex=weld, I think the other one
is called?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wade Garrett posted for all of us...

Got a big (24x18x14) generic plastic covered storage tub that's got a
2 inch v-shaped crack in the bottom near the edge. I just use it in the
garage and my default fix would be duct tape.

Better suggestion?

Magic Seal? We need someone to test it. Whom better than you? ;-)

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/17/2018 10:59 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got a big (24x18x14) generic plastic covered storage tub that's got a
2 inch v-shaped crack in the bottom near the edge. I just use it in the
garage and my default fix would be duct tape.

Go to HF and get their plastic welder. It's a heat gun on steroids. You
may have better luck that I did. It's not rocket science but you need
the right filler material.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/17/2018 9:59 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got a big (24x18x14) generic plastic covered storage tub that's got a
2 inch v-shaped crack in the bottom near the edge. I just use it in the
garage and my default fix would be duct tape.

Better suggestion?

Heat the plastic with a hair dryer, then use a hot glue gun to fill the
crack and add a fillet on either side of the plastic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/17/18 12:59 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got a big (24x18x14) generic plastic covered storage tub that's got a
2 inch v-shaped crack in the bottom near the edge. I just use it in the
garage and my default fix would be duct tape.

Better suggestion?

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

But it's an eight dollar tub. If duct tape doesn't work, it's cheaper to
just buy a new one!

--
Two golf pros were asked how they can identify a good golfer. One
offered an elaborate, precise description of the grip, stance, address
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/18/2018 06:43 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 9/17/18 12:59 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got a big (24x18x14) generic plastic covered storage tub that's got a
2 inch v-shaped crack in the bottom near the edge. I just use it in
the garage and my default fix would be duct tape.

Better suggestion?

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

But it's an eight dollar tub. If duct tape doesn't work, it's cheaper to
just buy a new one!

C'mon, that's not the spirit of a.h.r. It's always better to spend 6
hours and $47 to salvage a $8 tub. One of my plastic welding attempts
was to save one of those resin chairs that go for about $6. Admittedly
it was a practice piece to see if I could make the technique work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/18 9:46 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 09/18/2018 06:43 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 9/17/18 12:59 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got a big (24x18x14) generic plastic covered storage tub that's got a
2 inch v-shaped crack in the bottom near the edge. I just use it in
the garage and my default fix would be duct tape.

Better suggestion?

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

But it's an eight dollar tub. If duct tape doesn't work, it's cheaper to
just buy a new one!

C'mon, that's not the spirit of a.h.r. It's always better to spend 6
hours and $47 to salvage a $8 tub. One of my plastic welding attempts
was to save one of those resin chairs that go for about $6. Admittedly
it was a practice piece to see if I could make the technique work.

You're tight. I apologize; I just don't know what came over me. I
promise it won't happen again...

--
Sir, were surrounded.
Good, then we can attack in any direction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/2018 10:58 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 9/18/18 9:46 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 09/18/2018 06:43 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 9/17/18 12:59 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got a big (24x18x14) generic plastic covered storage tub that's got a
2 inch v-shaped crack in the bottom near the edge. I just use it in
the garage and my default fix would be duct tape.

Better suggestion?

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

But it's an eight dollar tub. If duct tape doesn't work, it's cheaper to
just buy a new one!

C'mon, that's not the spirit of a.h.r. It's always better to spend 6
hours and $47 to salvage a $8 tub. One of my plastic welding attempts
was to save one of those resin chairs that go for about $6. Admittedly
it was a practice piece to see if I could make the technique work.

You're tight. I apologize; I just don't know what came over me. I
promise it won't happen again...

If the crack is not under stress and you just use it to store junk in
the garage original duct tape, both sides, should be fine. The epoxy
with glass screen would work too but more effort and probably not worth it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 11:38:50 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

[...]

I would guess that making a plastic tub more rigid, by any means could
add to future failure.

I vote Duct Tape
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/2018 1:54 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

I favor duct tape too but if it just sits there the epoxy/screen would
make no difference even though stiffer. Both tape type repairs would
have much better adhesion and strength than if glue were applied. It is
practically impossible to glue polyethylene strongly.

I did the epoxy/screen repair on a kitchen trash can where the swinging
top door flap is under slight stress and other repairs had failed and
its lasted for years now.