Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Computer keyboard and mouse question

Hi, I'm sorry if this is the wrong group but hoping someone can help. I
ordered a desktop computer with Win10 that came with mouse and keyboard. The
computer plug ins on the back of computer for these are round pin type, but
the mouse and keyboard that came with it have the slotted flat plug ends. I
have a man coming from Best Buy on Tuesday and wonder what type if any
adapters there are for this. Thanks to anyone who can help, I am not
computer savvy at all.

--
Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not savvy either but consider wireless. Cheap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Thomas" wrote in message
Not savvy either but consider wireless. Cheap.

Thank you Thomas but I have what I have.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

On 9/17/2018 3:58 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Cheri posted for all of us...

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
k.net...
In article , says....

Hi, I'm sorry if this is the wrong group but hoping someone can help.. I
ordered a desktop computer with Win10 that came with mouse and keyboard.
The
computer plug ins on the back of computer for these are round pin type,
but
the mouse and keyboard that came with it have the slotted flat plug ends.
have a man coming from Best Buy on Tuesday and wonder what type if any
adapters there are for this. Thanks to anyone who can help, I am not
computer savvy at all.

--

Does the computer have any of the flat slots on the back ? Those are
called USB ports and if there are any , you can plug the keyboard and

They do make the adapters for this, but most computers have not used the
round plugs in years.

Thank you so much for that answer! I can now see what you mean. You have
been most helpful.

Cheri

The round type are called DIN connectors. The flat type are called USB
connectors. USB is most common these days. They sent the wrong k/b and
mouse. Are there adapters in the box?

No, they sent USB. You are thinking backwards on this. There will not
be a labeled plug though, that is the confusion.

Ok, I didn't read it correctly (again) :-(

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 3:58:55 PM UTC-4, Tekkie® wrote:
[...]

When's the last time you saw a new PC that uses a PS2 connector for the
keyboard? Fifteen, twenty years? They didn't send anything wrong,
she's just confused or trolling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 14:05:21 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

Maybe 8-10 years. As I said my dual core Intel board has PS/2
connectors and it shipped with Windoze 7.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Hundreds of brand new motherboards for sale on Newegg have PS/2.
I have one on my Asus Hero VII which I built 3 years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

When's the last time you saw a new PC that uses a PS2 connector for the
keyboard? Fifteen, twenty years? They didn't send anything wrong,
she's just confused or trolling.

Some do have them, although it's better to use USB. Use any port
(although you might want to avoid USB3, usually with blue plastic in the
connector).

--
99 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:00:00 AM for 1
day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Windows Closed. You can't look outside now."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/17/2018 02:58 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

[snip]

The round type are called DIN connectors. The flat type are called USB
connectors. USB is most common these days. They sent the wrong k/b and
mouse. Are there adapters in the box?

mini-DIN. Regular DIN describes the older PC keyboard (and cassette on
the original PCs) connectors.

BTW, one of the varieties of mini-DIN was used for S-video (which also
fell out too easily).

--
99 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:00:00 AM for 1
day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Windows Closed. You can't look outside now."
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 17 Sep 2018 20:49:21 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 09/17/2018 02:58 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

[snip]

The round type are called DIN connectors. The flat type are called USB
connectors. USB is most common these days. They sent the wrong k/b and
mouse. Are there adapters in the box?

mini-DIN. Regular DIN describes the older PC keyboard (and cassette on
the original PCs) connectors.

So what is the difference between mini-DIN and PS/2?

BTW, one of the varieties of mini-DIN was used for S-video (which also
fell out too easily).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd posted for all of us...

On 09/17/2018 02:58 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

[snip]

The round type are called DIN connectors. The flat type are called USB
connectors. USB is most common these days. They sent the wrong k/b and
mouse. Are there adapters in the box?

mini-DIN. Regular DIN describes the older PC keyboard (and cassette on
the original PCs) connectors.

BTW, one of the varieties of mini-DIN was used for S-video (which also
fell out too easily).

Thanks for the correction.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/16/2018 04:14 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
They do make the adapters for this, but most computers have not used the
round plugs in years.

I'm surprised a new computer even has PS2 connectors. Serial and
parallel ports have went the way of the dodo. My Dell is three years old
and doesn't have them.

As an aside, crawling under the desk to check resulted in finding the
Petzl headlamp I've been looking for for months, a glove, and a reminder
it's time to vacuum the computer...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 09/16/2018 04:14 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
They do make the adapters for this, but most computers have not used the
round plugs in years.

I'm surprised a new computer even has PS2 connectors. Serial and parallel
ports have went the way of the dodo. My Dell is three years old and
doesn't have them.

As an aside, crawling under the desk to check resulted in finding the
Petzl headlamp I've been looking for for months, a glove, and a reminder
it's time to vacuum the computer...

I haven't seen the PS2 (didn't know what they were called until today) since
Win98. I just never have hooked things up before, had the Geek Squad do
them, so am not too knowledgeable about all of it, but it was really pretty
simple after the advice I got from the newsgroups. It was appreciated.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/16/2018 09:09 PM, Cheri wrote:
"rbowman" wrote in message
On 09/16/2018 04:14 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
They do make the adapters for this, but most computers have not used the
round plugs in years.

I'm surprised a new computer even has PS2 connectors. Serial and
parallel ports have went the way of the dodo. My Dell is three years
old and doesn't have them.

As an aside, crawling under the desk to check resulted in finding the
Petzl headlamp I've been looking for for months, a glove, and a
reminder it's time to vacuum the computer...

I haven't seen the PS2 (didn't know what they were called until today)
since Win98. I just never have hooked things up before, had the Geek
Squad do them, so am not too knowledgeable about all of it, but it was
really pretty simple after the advice I got from the newsgroups. It was
appreciated.

USB makes it a lot easier. Getting the PS2 connectors turned right when
you were standing on your could be tricky. I do have a PS2 to USB
adapter among the little on my desk, but they I also have a PS2 to AT
adapter. Junk accumulates over the years and you never know when it
might come in handy

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

I haven't seen the PS2 (didn't know what they were called until today)
since Win98. I just never have hooked things up before, had the Geek
Squad do them, so am not too knowledgeable about all of it, but it was
really pretty simple after the advice I got from the newsgroups. It was
appreciated.

I have a few older machines (including the one marked "Y2K compliant")
that have PS/2 ports. The only one that doesn't also have USB is a Dell
from 1996 (166MHz Pentium CPU, 128MB RAM). That one belongs to a friend
who doesn't use it much except to play "Spider Solitaire". The current
OS is W2K, which is too slow for almost anything else.

Cheri

--
99 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:00:00 AM for 1
day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Windows Closed. You can't look outside now."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 19:55:58 -0600, lowbrowman, the endlessly driveling,

I'm surprised a new computer even has PS2 connectors. Serial and
parallel ports have went the way of the dodo.

Why not? We even have senile troll-cock sucking idiots like you on these
ngs, though you should have went the way of the dodo too!

As an aside, crawling under the desk to check resulted in finding the
Petzl headlamp I've been looking for for months, a glove, and a reminder
it's time to vacuum the computer...

See? BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 9:55:09 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 09/16/2018 04:14 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
They do make the adapters for this, but most computers have not used the
round plugs in years.

I'm surprised a new computer even has PS2 connectors. Serial and
parallel ports have went the way of the dodo. My Dell is three years old
and doesn't have them.

They disappeared over 15 years ago. Is that round connector even for a keyboard? And unless it's some custom made system, all systems from any manufacturer come with a quick start sheet, color coded cables, etc that show how you plug it together. I doubt you could find any new motherboard with a PS2 connector.

As an aside, crawling under the desk to check resulted in finding the
Petzl headlamp I've been looking for for months, a glove, and a reminder
it's time to vacuum the computer...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 17 Sep 2018 02:16:23 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

They disappeared over 15 years ago. Is that round connector even for a keyb=
oard? And unless it's some custom made system, all systems from any manufac=
turer come with a quick start sheet, color coded cables,

Dells have color coded cables. Do the other brands also?

etc that show how =
you plug it together. I doubt you could find any new motherboard with a PS=
2 connector.=20

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

They disappeared over 15 years ago. Is that round connector even for a keyb=
oard? And unless it's some custom made system, all systems from any manufac=
turer come with a quick start sheet, color coded cables,

Dells have color coded cables. Do the other brands also?

HP does too. I would expect most do. It's in the supplier's own interest
to reduce costs and have happy customers.

I'm still waiting to hear what new system has a MB that uses a PS2 MB
connector. It doesn't. She's likely looking at an audio jack. And
what system does Best Buy sell that doesn't have a one page, quick start
guide that shows you with pics how to plug the few pieces together?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/17/2018 04:16 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

They disappeared over 15 years ago. Is that round connector even for a keyboard? And unless it's some custom made system, all systems from any manufacturer come with a quick start sheet, color coded cables, etc that show how you plug it together. I doubt you could find any new motherboard with a PS2 connector.

One reason for continuing to use PS/2 keyboard is BIOS. The first ones
didn't support USB, although that's been a long tome too.

The motherboard I bought 5 years ago came with one. Just one. The color
around it was purple on one side and green on the other, indicating it
could be used for either mouse or keyboard. Adapters are available to
allow both. However I chose USB since I had USB peripherals and USB
connectors don't fall out as easily.

BTW, that system has no floppy controller and no parallel ATA (SATA
only). It does have RS232 and parallel.

I wonder if new mice & keyboards work with PS/2, which uses a completely
different protocol.

--
99 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:00:00 AM for 1
day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Windows Closed. You can't look outside now."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/16/2018 05:14 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

[snip]

They do make the adapters for this, but most computers have not used the
round plugs in years.

Note that these are plug adapters not protocol converters. PS/2 and USB
computers have little in common other than both provide +5V. The
keyboard or mouse has to support both protocols. The only adapters I've
ever had came with micw / keyboards that would work.

It is unlikely you got a computer without USB.

--
99 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:00:00 AM for 1
day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Windows Closed. You can't look outside now."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 1:58:58 PM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 09/16/2018 05:14 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

[snip]

They do make the adapters for this, but most computers have not used the
round plugs in years.

Note that these are plug adapters not protocol converters. PS/2 and USB
computers have little in common other than both provide +5V. The
keyboard or mouse has to support both protocols. The only adapters I've
ever had came with micw / keyboards that would work.

It is unlikely you got a computer without USB.

I'd say she also didn't get a new PC with a PS2 connector either. She's
likely looking at an audio jack.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 15:03:23 -0700, "Cheri"
wrote:

Hi, I'm sorry if this is the wrong group but hoping someone can help. I
ordered a desktop computer with Win10 that came with mouse and keyboard. The
computer plug ins on the back of computer for these are round pin type, but
the mouse and keyboard that came with it have the slotted flat plug ends. I
have a man coming from Best Buy on Tuesday and wonder what type if any
adapters there are for this. Thanks to anyone who can help, I am not
computer savvy at all.

Unless the computer is over about 10 years old it will have 4 or
more "usb" ports to plug the keyboard and mouse into.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi, I'm sorry if this is the wrong group but hoping someone can help. I
ordered a desktop computer with Win10 that came with mouse and keyboard.
The
computer plug ins on the back of computer for these are round pin type,
but
the mouse and keyboard that came with it have the slotted flat plug ends.
have a man coming from Best Buy on Tuesday and wonder what type if any
adapters there are for this. Thanks to anyone who can help, I am not
computer savvy at all.

Unless the computer is over about 10 years old it will have 4 or
more "usb" ports to plug the keyboard and mouse into.

Thank you, it does, and it's hooked up now. Thanks to all.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi, I'm sorry if this is the wrong group but hoping someone can help. I
ordered a desktop computer with Win10 that came with mouse and
keyboard. The
computer plug ins on the back of computer for these are round pin
type, but
the mouse and keyboard that came with it have the slotted flat plug
ends. I
have a man coming from Best Buy on Tuesday and wonder what type if any
adapters there are for this. Thanks to anyone who can help, I am not
computer savvy at all.

*Unless the computer is over about 10 years old it will have 4 or
more "usb" ports to plug the keyboard and mouse into.

Thank you, it does, and it's hooked up now. Thanks to all.

Cheri

With all that said, treat yourself to a cordless mouse. Your computing
life will be much easier for about $20. Cord on the keyboard is not so
bad, but sure makes a difference on the mouse.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You wouldn't believe how handy the cord is for finding the "rodent"
when it burrows into the crap on your desk though!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Ed, I will do that soon.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'm assuming it's an optical mouse. (light in the bottom instead of a
ball) I never went to wireless but optical sure are nice. No more taking
the ball out and scraping crud off the rollers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi, I'm sorry if this is the wrong group but hoping someone can help. I
ordered a desktop computer with Win10 that came with mouse and
keyboard. The
computer plug ins on the back of computer for these are round pin
type, but
the mouse and keyboard that came with it have the slotted flat plug
ends. I
have a man coming from Best Buy on Tuesday and wonder what type if any
adapters there are for this. Thanks to anyone who can help, I am not
computer savvy at all.
Â*Unless the computer is over about 10 years old it will have 4 or
more "usb" ports to plug the keyboard and mouse into.

Thank you, it does, and it's hooked up now. Thanks to all.

Cheri

With all that said, treat yourself to a cordless mouse. Your computing
life will be much easier for about $20. Cord on the keyboard is not so
bad, but sure makes a difference on the mouse.

I like the Logitech unifying receiver system. You can control up to 6
devices with one USB receiver and they work 25-30 feet away with line
of sight.
https://tinyurl.com/y8l26ses
That is handy if you are running a motel TV from your laptop. There
are also several keyboards that work with that system
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

They use a version of "bluetooth" technology - very effective.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 16 Sep 2018 15:03:23 -0700, "Cheri"
wrote:

Hi, I'm sorry if this is the wrong group but hoping someone can help. I
ordered a desktop computer with Win10 that came with mouse and keyboard. The
computer plug ins on the back of computer for these are round pin type, but
the mouse and keyboard that came with it have the slotted flat plug ends. I
have a man coming from Best Buy on Tuesday and wonder what type if any
adapters there are for this. Thanks to anyone who can help, I am not
computer savvy at all.

The round jacks are for people who have a favorite keyboard or mouse
that has a round plug (PS-2). Everyone else uses USB plugs and jacks.

They are also used for flashdrives (also called disk on key, etc.) and
sometimes for headphones, external speakers, external harddrives,
external floppy drives, etc.

There are some jacks in the back and some in the front. If you use them
all up, you can get a little, cheap thing that's like an extension cord
for USB, that has 3 or more usb jacks and one usb plug.

I have no desire for wireless. I'm sitting right here and so is the
mouse. Plus with wireless, there is a battery in the mouse and another
in the keyboard. Who needs that. If I ever decide to sit far away, I'll
get wireless, or a usb extension cord.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that perspective too, I really am OK with the mouse and the cord
as well.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 5:04:01 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:
Hi, I'm sorry if this is the wrong group but hoping someone can help. I
ordered a desktop computer with Win10 that came with mouse and keyboard. The
computer plug ins on the back of computer for these are round pin type, but
the mouse and keyboard that came with it have the slotted flat plug ends. I
have a man coming from Best Buy on Tuesday and wonder what type if any
adapters there are for this. Thanks to anyone who can help, I am not
computer savvy at all.

--
Cheri

Cheryl got the information she needed...but this thread will probably go on for several years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/2018 1:09 AM, Ed60062 wrote:
On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 5:04:01 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:
Hi, I'm sorry if this is the wrong group but hoping someone can help. I
ordered a desktop computer with Win10 that came with mouse and keyboard. The
computer plug ins on the back of computer for these are round pin type, but
the mouse and keyboard that came with it have the slotted flat plug ends. I
have a man coming from Best Buy on Tuesday and wonder what type if any
adapters there are for this. Thanks to anyone who can help, I am not
computer savvy at all.

--
Cheri

Cheryl got the information she needed...but this thread will probably go on for several years.

Sure, soon trayduh_fo will blame Trump for poor keyboard and mouse design.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 7:33:57 AM UTC-4, Bob wrote:
On 9/18/2018 1:09 AM, Ed60062 wrote:
On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 5:04:01 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:
Hi, I'm sorry if this is the wrong group but hoping someone can help. I
ordered a desktop computer with Win10 that came with mouse and keyboard. The
computer plug ins on the back of computer for these are round pin type, but
the mouse and keyboard that came with it have the slotted flat plug ends. I
have a man coming from Best Buy on Tuesday and wonder what type if any
adapters there are for this. Thanks to anyone who can help, I am not
computer savvy at all.

--
Cheri

Cheryl got the information she needed...but this thread will probably go on for several years.

Sure, soon trayduh_fo will blame Trump for poor keyboard and mouse design.

No, can't blame Trump for that. He doesn't even use a computer, which tells
you a lot about him, how open to learning, to adopting new and best practices,
etc. Too bad he learned how to use that damn phone to send tweets.