Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sharpie (pen) Smell (?)

What is the chemical that produces the very characteristic smell emmitted by a Sharpie felt
pen?

--
croy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 11:09:49 -0700, croy
wrote:

What is the chemical that produces the very characteristic smell emmitted by a Sharpie felt
pen?

Butanol (71-36-3), Propanol (71-23-8), Diacetone Al
cohol (123-42-2), Ethanol (64-17-5)

https://www.carlroth.com/downloads/s...KN09_PT_PT.pdf

..... ever hear of google ?
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/20/2018 2:09 PM, croy wrote:
What is the chemical that produces the very characteristic smell emmitted by a Sharpie felt
pen?

Here is one google hit:

The principle solvents are alcohols, but they also contain ethylene
glycol monobutyl ether. All other Sharpie ink colors are Permchrome ink.
For these the principle solvents are also alcohols, but no glycol ethers
are used.

Somewhat toxic and you don't want to put it on your skin but there is
not enough to worry about.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What is the chemical that produces the very characteristic smell emmitted by a Sharpie felt
pen?

Butanol (71-36-3), Propanol (71-23-8), Diacetone Al
cohol (123-42-2), Ethanol (64-17-5)

https://www.carlroth.com/downloads/s...KN09_PT_PT.pdf

.... ever hear of google ?
John T.

Yes and my hit had said it depends on the pen. I just sniffed the one
next to my computer and it could be as safety data sheet specified and
the SDS is specific for the type pen. I cannot say which chemical makes
predominant odor. Glycol ethers have been frowned on in recent years as
animal carcinogens and such a designation drives manufacturers away from
them.

Blue Sharpie Bob La Londe[_7_] Metalworking 3 January 19th 17 02:32 AM
OT - Sharpie markers dried out Stormin Mormon[_7_] Home Repair 23 January 18th 13 08:18 PM
Getting a Sharpie Pen to Flow Again? W. eWatson[_2_] Home Repair 21 January 5th 11 09:15 PM
Pen plotter Markgengine Metalworking 1 July 15th 04 07:24 PM
WANTED: Non-judgmental pen pals Gunner Metalworking 11 July 17th 03 04:22 PM