DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   any way to replace keyless drill chuck with a keyed one? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/612781-any-way-replace-keyless-drill-chuck-keyed-one.html)

JBI June 12th 18 10:39 PM

any way to replace keyless drill chuck with a keyed one?

I have a cheap, Walmart type hammer drill that has a keyless chuck, but
I need to have a keyed chuck for a certain application. Is it possible
to replace the keyless chuck with keyed? Thank you.

Uncle Monster[_2_] June 12th 18 10:54 PM

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 4:39:54 PM UTC-5, JBI wrote:
I have a cheap, Walmart type hammer drill that has a keyless chuck, but
I need to have a keyed chuck for a certain application. Is it possible
to replace the keyless chuck with keyed? Thank you.

You should be able to unscrew the chuck using some water pump pliers (Channellock pliers). I've had to stick a nail into the fan blades to keep the motor from turning. Good luck. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Chuck Monster

Terry Coombs[_2_] June 12th 18 11:03 PM

On 6/12/2018 4:39 PM, JBI wrote:
I have a cheap, Walmart type hammer drill that has a keyless chuck,
but I need to have a keyed chuck for a certain application.Â* Is it
possible to replace the keyless chuck with keyed?Â* Thank you.

Yes .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

[email protected] June 12th 18 11:18 PM

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 17:39:50 -0400, JBI wrote:

I have a cheap, Walmart type hammer drill that has a keyless chuck, but
I need to have a keyed chuck for a certain application. Is it possible
to replace the keyless chuck with keyed? Thank you.

L H T ...

left hand thread

Terry Coombs[_2_] June 12th 18 11:36 PM

On 6/12/2018 5:18 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 17:39:50 -0400, JBI wrote:

I have a cheap, Walmart type hammer drill that has a keyless chuck, but
I need to have a keyed chuck for a certain application. Is it possible
to replace the keyless chuck with keyed? Thank you.

L H T ...

left hand thread

Is that the chuck or the lock screw inside ? Hint : lock an allen wrench
in the chuck (after removing the lock screw inside) and whack it with a
mallet to break it loose . If the screw is LHT , the chuck will be RHT ,
and vice versa .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

[email protected] June 13th 18 12:44 AM

any way to replace keyless drill chuck with a keyed one?

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 17:36:44 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 6/12/2018 5:18 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 17:39:50 -0400, JBI wrote:

I have a cheap, Walmart type hammer drill that has a keyless chuck, but
I need to have a keyed chuck for a certain application. Is it possible
to replace the keyless chuck with keyed? Thank you.

L H T ...

left hand thread

Is that the chuck or the lock screw inside ? Hint : lock an allen wrench
in the chuck (after removing the lock screw inside) and whack it with a
mallet to break it loose . If the screw is LHT , the chuck will be RHT ,
and vice versa .

yep - you're right - small screw is LHT -
actual chuck screw is RHT - thanks.
I just re-read the manual for my brand new $ 50.
hammer drill 1/2 " 6 amp corded
50 piece accessory kit included ; 3 year warranty ;
Canadian dollars even ..
.... I know I know but I'll probably use it about
once per year or so ...
John T.

[email protected] June 13th 18 12:47 AM

any way to replace keyless drill chuck with a keyed one?

On Tue, 12 Jun 2018 17:39:50 -0400, JBI wrote:

I have a cheap, Walmart type hammer drill that has a keyless chuck, but
I need to have a keyed chuck for a certain application. Is it possible
to replace the keyless chuck with keyed? Thank you.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Power+D...lacement/75418

John T.

rbowman June 13th 18 05:21 AM

On 06/12/2018 03:39 PM, JBI wrote:
I have a cheap, Walmart type hammer drill that has a keyless chuck, but
I need to have a keyed chuck for a certain application. Is it possible
to replace the keyless chuck with keyed? Thank you.

Yes. The question you should be asking is if you can buy a keyed chuck
cheaper than another cheap Walmart drill that already has one.