Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UK electric service

Apparently the UK electric service is not as safe as "the knife" would have us believe.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/whirl...110056748.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 16/05/2018 21:14, Mary Poppins wrote:
Apparently the UK electric service is not as safe as "the knife" would
have us believe.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/whirl...110056748.html

Erm, Whirlpool is an American company.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 May 2018 06:12:56 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 16/05/2018 21:14, Mary Poppins wrote:
Apparently the UK electric service is not as safe as "the knife" would
have us believe.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/whirl...110056748.html

Erm, Whirlpool is an American company.

It doesn't sound like the fridge caused the problem.

Even if it was a "Hotpoint" ;-)

The article says they are looking at the construction and maintenance
of the building now. In the US a multifamily dwelling like that would
have required fire stopping between units and sprinklers. I bet we
still have old ones built before modern regulations that don't tho.
My wife is building a 4 unit building now and the fire containment and
suppression is impressive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17/05/2018 07:04, wrote:
On Thu, 17 May 2018 06:12:56 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 16/05/2018 21:14, Mary Poppins wrote:
Apparently the UK electric service is not as safe as "the knife" would
have us believe.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/whirl...110056748.html

Erm, Whirlpool is an American company.

It doesn't sound like the fridge caused the problem.

Even if it was a "Hotpoint" ;-)

The article says they are looking at the construction and maintenance
of the building now. In the US a multifamily dwelling like that would
have required fire stopping between units and sprinklers. I bet we
still have old ones built before modern regulations that don't tho.
My wife is building a 4 unit building now and the fire containment and
suppression is impressive.

Whirlpool tumble dryers still 'catch fire' despite modifications to make ...
https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/.../w...-watchdog-live...
25 Apr 2018 - WHIRLPOOL tumble dryers that have been modified or
replaced by the company for safety reasons may still be at risk of
catching fire.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17/05/2018 07:15, Bod wrote:
On 17/05/2018 07:04, wrote:
On Thu, 17 May 2018 06:12:56 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 16/05/2018 21:14, Mary Poppins wrote:
Apparently the UK electric service is not as safe as "the knife" would
have us believe.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/whirl...110056748.html

Erm, Whirlpool is an American company.

It doesn't sound like the fridge caused the problem.

Even if it was a "Hotpoint"Â* ;-)

The article says they are looking at the construction and maintenance
of the building now. In the US a multifamily dwelling like that would
have required fire stopping between units and sprinklers. I bet we
still have old ones built before modern regulations that don't tho.
My wife is building a 4 unit building now and the fire containment and
suppression is impressive.

Whirlpool tumble dryers still 'catch fire' despite modifications to make
https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/.../w...-watchdog-live...

25 Apr 2018 - WHIRLPOOL tumble dryers that have been modified or
replaced by the company for safety reasons may still be at risk of
catching fire.

BTW.... Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda are all owned by the same company.

The Whirlpool group owns Whirlpool, Maytag and Kitchenaid, with many of
the appliances being made in the same factories.5 Jun 2012
Who Really Makes Your Washing Machine ? | Hubys Domestic ...
hubys.co.uk/news-information/2/who-really-makes-your-washing-machine

--
Bod

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17/05/2018 07:22, Bod wrote:
On 17/05/2018 07:18, Bod wrote:
On 17/05/2018 07:15, Bod wrote:
On 17/05/2018 07:04, wrote:
[...]

More info for you:

Whirlpool condensers and vented tumble dryers sold under the brands
Hotpoint, Indesit, Creda, Swan and Proline and manufactured over an
11-year period between April 2004 and September 2015 present a fire
risk. An estimated 5.3 million tumble dryers were bought in the UK over
the time period.
€Ž

Whirlpool Corporation - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whirlpool_Corporation
--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 May 2018 07:15:23 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 17/05/2018 07:04, wrote:
[...]

ANY tumble drier is at risk of fire if not properly maintainedand
kept clean. LInt is flamable. Period.
It is also very fine and intrusive, and it also builds up like felt in
ductwork - particularly that flexible **** many people think is
suitable for venting driers - but also metal ducting that is attached
with sheet metal screws (and if 1 is good,4 or5 is obetter - right??)

Driers are to be vented with aluminum or galvanized ductwork, joined
with aluminum duct sealing tape - nice smooth inner surface with
nothing to catch lint - and as short and straight a run toi the
outside as possible.

Also make sure the exit does not get plugged (many have a "screen" to
keep critters out - which definitely needs to be kept cleared.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 May 2018 07:26:12 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 17/05/2018 07:22, Bod wrote:

?

Whirlpool Corporation - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whirlpool_Corporation

What does that have to do with the fire you referenced?

I am very familiar with who Whirlpool is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

On 17/05/2018 07:04, wrote:
[...]

My wife introduced me to the fact that dryer vents needed to be cleaned. I
never had one growing up and before I got into emergency services.

--
Tekkie