Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hydrochloric acid as toilet bowl cleaner?

I have those tough brown stains at the bottom
of the toilet bowl.
I read a glowing report on some cleaner stuff.
The MSDS claims its only active ingredient is
hydrochloric acid.
What are the issues related to that?

I assume that the bowl can tolerate the acid.
Is that a safe assumption?

How about all the other parts of the system?
The seal hardware?
The cast iron pipe?
I can flush the system, but not necessarily get
all of the acid out of all the crevices.

I'm not the least bit interested in trading a stain
for a leaking toilet.

Experiences with cleaning the deposits safely?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 11:19:01 -0800, mike wrote:

I have those tough brown stains at the bottom
of the toilet bowl.
I read a glowing report on some cleaner stuff.
The MSDS claims its only active ingredient is
hydrochloric acid.
What are the issues related to that?

I assume that the bowl can tolerate the acid.
Is that a safe assumption?

How about all the other parts of the system?
The seal hardware?
The cast iron pipe?
I can flush the system, but not necessarily get
all of the acid out of all the crevices.

I'm not the least bit interested in trading a stain
for a leaking toilet.

Experiences with cleaning the deposits safely?

Mike,

See method three in this link.

https://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Slow-Toilet

On cast iron pipe sewer neutralize acid in the bowl before you flush.
Using baking soda, the foaming with stop -- safe to flush.

The method get rid of cooties and the unit flushes much better.
BTDT many times.
--
"We recommend using your hand to replace the fuse as it will take much longer using your knee."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 2:19:43 PM UTC-5, mike wrote:
I have those tough brown stains at the bottom
of the toilet bowl.
I read a glowing report on some cleaner stuff.
The MSDS claims its only active ingredient is
hydrochloric acid.
What are the issues related to that?

I assume that the bowl can tolerate the acid.
Is that a safe assumption?

How about all the other parts of the system?
The seal hardware?
The cast iron pipe?
I can flush the system, but not necessarily get
all of the acid out of all the crevices.

I'm not the least bit interested in trading a stain
for a leaking toilet.

Experiences with cleaning the deposits safely?

I've used hydrochloric acid without any problems. I have ABS pipe,
but I'd use it with cast iron. First, you get most of the water
out of the bowl by pouring a bucket of water in. Then carefully
pour the acid and work it around to the spots with a toilet brush.
I left in on for about 15 minutes, then flushed. Have a bucket of
water to place the brush in to dilute the acid.

No acid is going into the pipes until it's flushed and then it's
being diluted with all the water. Flush a couple times. If you
have those real hard mineral stains, that's the fastest, cheapest,
easiest way I've found to deal with it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 27 Feb 2018 12:19:01p, mike told us...

I have those tough brown stains at the bottom
of the toilet bowl.
I read a glowing report on some cleaner stuff.
The MSDS claims its only active ingredient is
hydrochloric acid.
What are the issues related to that?

I assume that the bowl can tolerate the acid.
Is that a safe assumption?

How about all the other parts of the system?
The seal hardware?
The cast iron pipe?
I can flush the system, but not necessarily get
all of the acid out of all the crevices.

I'm not the least bit interested in trading a stain
for a leaking toilet.

Experiences with cleaning the deposits safely?

We use ZEP Acidic Toilet Bowl Cleaner that contains hydrochloric
acid. I'm not sure what the strength is, however, we have used it
for 7 years with no ill effects and it removes every possible stain
we've encounter inluding the brown ring which gradually appears.

It's a commercial product and does require caution in using it.

I think its about 15% or half the strength of muriatic acid used to etch
concrete. Fairly safe to use. Don't get in eyes, on skin or clothing.