Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Resistance of thermal switch in thermocouple - does it matter - hot water heater - generic replacement

replying to Danny D., Will wrote:
I went to Lowes and picked up their $8.50 thermocouple and replaced the AO
Smith thermocouple. I used force and twisting with pliers to remove the AO
Smith thermocouple. I used a drill bit to ever so slightly enlarge the whole
to fit the new thermocouple. I bent one of the brackets slightly to secure
the new thermocouple in place. My unit has been working fine ever since. I
am losing that added protection, but I think it's a very small risk seeing
that in 12 years the thermocouple resistor has never popped. $8 vs $88 is not
a big jump if you're concerned about your home, but if you feel that it's an
extremely low risk replacement, then $8 becomes a big savings over the $88.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...te-900400-.htm