Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Floor Joist Repair

Hey guys,

Ok so I am remodeling my basement which is technically the first floor of a two story home, I took out the ceiling and noted a cracked joist that runs a 20 foot span under my kitchen and dinning room, there is no center support and it is supported at the ends on top of cinder block and set in concrete. The crack is 8 feet from the wall in my laundry room which is under my kitchen and extends approx. 3in from the bottom edge into the beam across a 1 foot span. The beam is a 2x12x20. To repair this I want to sister it and build a frame to support it in the middle which I can accomplish by adding a door way to the laundry room. I want to put king beams on either side approx. 48in apart and have a 3 foot opening into my laundry room. I was going to use 2 stacked 2x4s to make the header. My question, Is this adequate support? What can I do to make this better? I just want to make sure I do this right, Thanks for your help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 3, 2018 at 10:23:51 AM UTC-5, Kat McGrath wrote:
[...]

You call it a joist in one place, a beam in another. It would seem if it's
a joist, then with a 48" wide support under it, that support over the door
will not carry just one joist, but two or more. Really need more info on the
whole situation. A 20 ft span with no mid-span support doesn't sound right, so
I agree, you're on the right track. All those joists would need mid-span
support.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Really need more info on the whole situation.
A 20 ft span with no mid-span support doesn't sound right, so
I agree, you're on the right track. All those joists would need mid-span
support.

http://www.awc.org/codes-standards/c...tware/spancalc

2 x 12 16 inch center 19 ft. 6 inches ?

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 07:45:17 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

The crack is 8 feet from the wall in my laundry room which is under my kitchen

Now that we know where the crack is, you will be arrested for possession
of an illegal drug substance. It was nice of you to reveal the location
of this narcotic, so we can swiftly put you in prison without further
delays.

The FBI

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 07:23:43 -0800 (PST), Kat McGrath
wrote:

[...]

Sister the joists full length with 2X12. If you can't get 20 footers,
use 16 footers on both sides, staggered end for end, plus 4 footers to
fill in the length - bolt and glue. The header above the door opening
is stronger with 2X4 lumber set upright, 2 or 3 wide, than on the flat
2 deep. Supporting the beams on the door posts requires a proper
footing under the support posts - do NOT simply plant the posts on the
concrete floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I read it as a 1 foot long crack in a 2 x 12 ..
... not near to the edge or to the end.
My first thought was sandwich it with 5/8 plywood -
- 3 - 4 feet long - glued & screwed ..
And I thought that might be over-kill ... dunno.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Could also be a shear crack and nothing to worry about. Get someone who knows what they're doing to look at it. This is not DIY stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

And IF you DIY, rather err on the side of extreme overkill than
marginal deficiency.