jdsal

Default GE Water Softener Failing

For some time now I have been trying to resolve an issue with my GE water
softener in where the brine tank fills up until it overflows. I examined the
venturi, but that was only slightly dirty and the problem persisted
afterwards. I started a regeneration cycle and I didn't notice anything
unusual until the brine draw cycle. I have noticed that there is this rubber
valve cover that seems to drop down onto the top of the valve and then stop
the brine draw. It looks as though it should be attached to the bottom of
the float, but I'm not sure. I have ordered a replacement assembly for the
unit as I wasn't able to firmly reattach the rubber valve cover.

I've read others replacing their control valve with a 3rd party assembly.
I'd be interested in that as mine seems to be inefficient to begin with.

Ross Moody

I had a similar problem, 4 years after initial install. GE recommended a
local tech that replaced all rubber seals. I also had a leak from initial
install which he repaired. Total $206.00
Ross

"jdsal" wrote in message
[...]

tomcas

jdsal wrote:

For some time now I have been trying to resolve an issue with my GE water
softener in where the brine tank fills up until it overflows. I examined the
venturi, but that was only slightly dirty and the problem persisted
afterwards. I started a regeneration cycle and I didn't notice anything
unusual until the brine draw cycle. I have noticed that there is this rubber
valve cover that seems to drop down onto the top of the valve and then stop
the brine draw. It looks as though it should be attached to the bottom of
the float, but I'm not sure. I have ordered a replacement assembly for the
unit as I wasn't able to firmly reattach the rubber valve cover.

I've read others replacing their control valve with a 3rd party assembly.
I'd be interested in that as mine seems to be inefficient to begin with.

When it is in the fill mode you should be able to pick up on the float
and stop the fill. That rubber part just sits on the valve and is not
attached to the float. I too had problems with my GE softener. Mine
would not fill. I found the float rod had stuck to the bottom. All I had
to do was pick up on the float rod to break it free.
Gary Slusser

"jdsal" wrote in message
[...]

That 'rubber' washer is meant to stop air from being sucked into the brine
system and resin tank when the brine level falls to the level of the washer.
It's called an air check. At least that's how it is done on other softeners
but they don't use a rubber washer. You may be right and the washer is t obe
connected to the float. Lift the whole assembly out of the brine well and
clean the seal surface of the washer and plastic. This might not be the
problem though. You could have a blocked drain line or injector or it could
be that tubing fittings are allowing it to suck air and if it is it can't
suck heavy brine. So check the strength of the suction by removing a piece
of tubing and covering the end.

Gary
Quality Water Associates
www.qualitywaterassociates.com