Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Have you ever heard this noise in an engine after a VCG repair?

On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 11:36:31 PM UTC-5, Arthur Wood wrote:
Subject: Have you ever heard THIS SOUND inside your engine?

Nobody on Bimmerfest knows what is causing this noise and I can't use the
car until I figure out how to figure out what the noise is.

This only started after I did some work this weekend on the valve cover but
it sounds like someone left a socket inside the engine and it's bouncing
around somewhere.

I'm pretty sure I didn't leave anything inside where this sounds like it's
in the intake manifold but it's hard to figure out where it's coming from
as it's intermittent.

It sounds like it's coming from the top of the engine somehow but it's hard
to place where.

You should not need a login to read that thread and download the videos.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=730369&d=1513035084

Here's just an audio file:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=730353&d=1513034666

When you download them, remove the *pdf which I added so that the MP4 would
look like a PDF to the forum upload GUI.

I can't imagine what is making that noise which is why I'm asking you for
how to debug that noise. Thanks!

I think you know what needs to be done. Remove the valve cover. Other
than leaving something in there, what other possible explanation is there?
I would have shut the thing off after the first 5 secs.

All you did is the VCG? You didn't take off the VANOS or fiddle with it,
for example? There isn't anything that's involved that could make a
noise like that other than a tool left inside or maybe screwing the
VANOS.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Not that bad, you know how to do it, everything is cleaned up,
you can reuse the new gasket, etc.

or you can use this as an excuse to buy a new tool

buy one of those connect to your phone bore-scope camera's to see inside.