Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solar windows could meet 'nearly all' of America's electricitydemand

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 19:30:40 +0100, ted wrote:

And I've told you already WE DON'T USE HEAT PUMPS.

.

Are you idiots?

Resistive heat yields 3412 BTU per kWh

Today's heat pumps yield 10000 to 13000 BTU per kWh

And my gas is 4.6 times cheaper than my electricity.* Your best figures there are 3.8 times cheaper than resistive.

In the past, the Luddites here argued that LED light bulbs would never replace incandescents...yet here we are 4 years later all happy with our energy saving LEDs.* I suspect solar energy is currently in the same transition.* Don't be a Luddite!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-10-26, Ed wrote:
In the past, the Luddites here argued that LED light bulbs would never
replace incandescents...yet here we are 4 years later all happy with
our energy saving LEDs.Â* I suspect solar energy is currently in the
same transition.Â* Don't be a Luddite!

Speak for yourself. I'm sticking with incandescent lighting and have
no intention of ever installing solar panels.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Don't talk to cops! -- http://www.DontTalkToCops.com
Badges don't grant extra rights -- http://www.CopBlock.org
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 14:39:11 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Where is the cite for that claim? One typical size panel puts out
about 250 watts in full sun. Derate that by 60% and you still
have 100 watts. A hundred watts for 10 hours a day over 20 years
is a hell of a lot of energy.

I am in Florida where the sun actually shines and the solar contractor
told me not to count on more that the equivalent of 6 hours a day at
the rated capacity. They also degrade a few percent a year ... and
this was the guy trying to sell them to me.

The fact is, without a hefty subsidy from the government, the numbers
just do not work out. When Florida's money ran out, so did my
interest.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Where is the cite for that claim? One typical size panel puts out
about 250 watts in full sun. Derate that by 60% and you still
have 100 watts. A hundred watts for 10 hours a day over 20 years
is a hell of a lot of energy.

I am in Florida where the sun actually shines and the solar contractor
told me not to count on more that the equivalent of 6 hours a day at
the rated capacity. They also degrade a few percent a year ... and
this was the guy trying to sell them to me.

The fact is, without a hefty subsidy from the government, the numbers
just do not work out. When Florida's money ran out, so did my
interest.

Rated capacity for 6 hours a day would be even higher than my winging
it estimate. I said 250 x 40% x 10 hours a day = 1000 watt hours

or 250 x 6 hours = 1500 watt hours

It's still a lot of energy and I don't believe there is any way that
after not many years you'd get back the energy it took to make them.
Maybe Mr. T will provide us the source that shows otherwise, but I'm
not holding my breath. I agree that they are not economically viable
without subsidies, but that's a different story.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I always said that at a buck a watt it would be a thing. Now you can
get collectors for that or pretty close, then the government here
raised their ugly head and said you could not install them yourself
and still use a grid tie.
They also said collectors must meet the 160 MPH wind code, which puts
those buck a watt collectors off the table and made the installation
hardware much more expensive.
My other problem is, I do not really have a good place to put them
without cutting down someone else's trees.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/26/2017 3:58 PM, Ed wrote:
On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 19:30:40 +0100, ted wrote:

And I've told you already WE DON'T USE HEAT PUMPS.

.

Are you idiots?

Resistive heat yields 3412 BTU per kWh

Today's heat pumps yield 10000 to 13000 BTU per kWh

And my gas is 4.6 times cheaper than my electricity. Your best
figures there are 3.8 times cheaper than resistive.

In the past, the Luddites here argued that LED light bulbs would never
replace incandescents...yet here we are 4 years later all happy with our
energy saving LEDs. I suspect solar energy is currently in the same
transition. Don't be a Luddite!

LED lights are conservation without sacrifice.
The tipping point is when cost of ownership of a
solar(putyourfavoritedevicehere) approximates the cost of
not owning a solar(...).
You can install one for a buck. The cost reduction was from innovation
and scale.
Sunlight doesn't scale. What you get is all you're ever gonna get.
You can't do anything about 'night' or weather.

The unsolved issue with solar and many other renewables is STORAGE.
Fix that and they will come...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, those wonderful LEDs that keep overheating and failing.

I've not had a single LED bulb fail yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the Sociopathic Attention Whore

On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 01:44:32 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Heat pumps are most common with people who need air conditioning in
the summer. It is a small up charge to add the reversing valve.
If you are using ground source pumps, that also makes sense in you
need to use electricity but I agree, for pure heat, you can't beat
piped gas if it is available.

Which makes the solar panels on the windows worthless.

What could be more worthless than a troll like you, Hucker!

--
Mr Pounder about Birdbrain:
"Do you lot realise that PHucker is one of the biggest ******s/trolls on
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 01:45:19 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

You were talking about pure theoreticals, new solar electric windows.
YOU claimed that solar electric can't be used efficiently to produce

I'm not going to answer anyone who feels the need to capitalise entire
words. Go be a journalist or something.

It's not only that your idiocy is getting exposed by everyone, but you ALSO
keep exposing your own idiocy YOURSELF, every single time, you idiotic
filthy troll!

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) endless BULL****:
"If you live for 4 years and die, you wasted 4 years. If you live for 20
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 01:35:12 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 23:58:59 +0100, Ed wrote:

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 19:30:40 +0100, ted wrote:

And I've told you already WE DON'T USE HEAT PUMPS.

.

Are you idiots?

Resistive heat yields 3412 BTU per kWh

Today's heat pumps yield 10000 to 13000 BTU per kWh

And my gas is 4.6 times cheaper than my electricity. Your best figures there are 3.8 times cheaper than resistive.

In the past, the Luddites here argued that LED light bulbs would never replace incandescents...yet here we are 4 years later all happy with our energy saving LEDs. I suspect solar energy is currently in the same transition. Don't be a Luddite!

Yes, those wonderful LEDs that keep overheating and failing.

The cheapo ones that a dole and welfare whore like you can afford, yes,
Birdbrain!

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) usual sociopathic
bull****:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 01:37:25 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Whoooooosh! Clearly thatPipistrel article flew right over your head. You
got no vision, boy!

Sorry, I'll get more zonked out on drugs before I consider renewable ****e again.

Why don't you just tell him the simple truth: that you are a sick
attention-starved idiot and sociopath! That's all any poster ever needs to
know about you!

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) endless idiotic
blather:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 27, 2017 at 5:08:04 AM UTC-4, Wally wrote:
Yes, those wonderful LEDs that keep overheating and failing.

I've not had a single LED bulb fail yet.

Same here. I have about 8 that are frequently used.
Posted to alt.home.repair

:
: I've not had a single LED bulb fail yet.
:
: Same here. I have about 8 that are frequently used.

and I have some old Incandescent Bulbs that are

still working fine after 25 years.

No LED can claim that.

Well duh! How long have residential lighting LEDs been available?

And how many actual run hours do you have on your 25 year old
incandescent bulb? Typically at their rated voltage they last about
1200 hours.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 11:30:17 AM UTC-4, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 16:10:56 +0100, wrote:

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 07:39:50 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 10:31:46 AM UTC-4, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 15:17:51 +0100, trader_4 wrote:

I guess you never heard of a heat pump.

I have, but I've never heard of one actually being used. I still doubt you'd make much saving once you factor in the cost of a heat pump and the special glass.

--

You need to get out more. Unless there is something very strange about
the UK, there would be lots of examples of heat pumps being used.

I imagine it is too cold and wet for a heat pump to work well. Temps
below 10c with high humidity would ice one up. Once you get below 4c
or 5c the efficiency really falls off and they have no real summer
that needs AC.

I do know of a farmer who uses them to heat his barns in winter (in England), but the source is underground, not outside.

So you were lying yesterday when you went on and on about how there
were no heat pumps in the UK, none, period.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 8:35:18 PM UTC-4, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 23:58:59 +0100, Ed wrote:

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 19:30:40 +0100, ted wrote:

And I've told you already WE DON'T USE HEAT PUMPS.

.

Are you idiots?

Resistive heat yields 3412 BTU per kWh

Today's heat pumps yield 10000 to 13000 BTU per kWh

And my gas is 4.6 times cheaper than my electricity. Your best figures there are 3.8 times cheaper than resistive.

In the past, the Luddites here argued that LED light bulbs would never replace incandescents...yet here we are 4 years later all happy with our energy saving LEDs. I suspect solar energy is currently in the same transition. Don't be a Luddite!

Yes, those wonderful LEDs that keep overheating and failing.

However, at last they're cheap, use less electricity, and work (for a little while). Solar panels make enough power to recharge a golf cart. Unless you live on the equator, there simply is nowhere near enough power from the sun falling on your house to make the electricity you need.

--

That's wrong too. There are plenty of houses today that produce
as much electricity as they consume. It's not all that difficult.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 07:09:52 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

I was running my house on a 5,5 KW generator for a little over a week
after Irma. We were far from running normally (no dryer, no central AC
and no hot water) we already decided that 5kw number is only good for
6 hours a day. If I had gas appliances I agree 5kw might be fine when
the sun was shining if I didn't need AC but at night I would eat a lot
more than any excess I sold the grid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 27, 2017 at 10:43:42 AM UTC-4, BurfordTJustice wrote:
Then why is your house not solar powered??

Because there is a difference between producing total
electricity equal to what you use and producing that electricity
so that it makes economic sense. And the necessary roof
planes are shaded.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 22:08:12 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

FLUSH sociopath's endless drivel unread

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) endless idiotic
blather:
"Some cyclists disguise themselves as car drivers. No wait, they're not
clever enough to do that."
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 22:02:51 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"
LOL), the Sociopathic Attention Whore Birdbrain Macaw (now "James
Wilkinson"),

So you were lying yesterday when you went on and on about how there
were no heat pumps in the UK, none, period.

We were talking about domestic premises. And 1 of 30 million households
is as good as zero to anyone without OCD. Stop embarrassing yourself.

Actually, YOU did so very "successfully" in this thread, you filthy troll!

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic BULL****:
"If someone walks out from behind a parked car without looking, they're at

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 27, 2017 at 5:08:16 PM UTC-4, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 11:30:03 +0100, trader_4 wrote:

On Friday, October 27, 2017 at 5:08:04 AM UTC-4, Wally wrote:
Yes, those wonderful LEDs that keep overheating and failing.

I've not had a single LED bulb fail yet.

Same here. I have about 8 that are frequently used.

There are two choices:
1) Buy them on Ebay, they overheat and last 3-6 months. Although you can get them replaced a few times if you moan about it.
2) Buy them from Asda, and nothing's more than about 40W equivalent.

I've found only one that actually lasts - LED striplights - they look similar to fluorescent tubes. Because the LEDs are spaced out, they can stay cool (about body temperature). These have lasted about 2-3 years and only about 15% of the individual LEDs have failed. Luckily they seem to fail short circuit, and the constant current power supply compensates.

I have had all LED lamps last a lot longer since I connected the lighting circuit to the output of my computer's UPS. LED bulbs just can't handle spikes/surges/overvoltage very well. My mains supply varies from 241V to 266V. The power company refuses to fix this. "It's within legal tolerances mate...."

Must really suck over there. Here in the USA we have a wide
range of all kinds of LEDs from new ceiling ones, to retrofit
for existing ceiling lights, to bulb replacement of the most
common bulbs. And they last fine, I haven't had one fail yet.