BRN

Default home addition mortgage? Blended?

Please excuse me if this is the incorrect forum to post this question.

We would like to have an addition built on our house. I know about HELOC's
and Home equity loans. I was recently talking to an acquaintance who
mentioned a "blended mortgage". Here's how he described it. Talk to your
mortgage company. See if they will do a construction loan for the
addition. Pay the going rate for the construction loan. When it comes time
to close the construction loan and make it permanent, have them roll it into
a 30 year mortgage and then "blend" my previous mortgage (at 5.75%) with the
current going rate. I'm not sure if I can do this with another company
other than who holds my current mortgage and get some of the benefit of my
current mortgage rate.

Anyone know if this can be done? I will certainly call my current mortgage
holder (Chase), but want to make sure I have the terminology right and can
explain it correctly.

TIA,

DaveG

"BRN" wrote in message
[...]

You certainly wouldn't be able to do this with any place but the company

holding your mortgage, could you? All you can do is ask, and see what your
current lender says.
Depending on what the current interest rate is, they may not have a
financial incentive to do this, but it never hurts to ask.

Chet Hayes

"DaveG" wrote in message news:vPQGc.40083$Oq2.132@attbi_s52...
"BRN" wrote in message
[...]

And the other problem is that Chase needs to be still holding the
mortgage. Many of these get packaged and sold, with the mortgage
company only doing the servicing. But it can;t hurt to try, certainly
Chase should have some alternatives to suggest.