Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help With Aging Cambridge Soundworks Modell 88 Radio

The amazing Combridge Soundworks table radio - Model 88 - which has served us for 30 years is fading. The electronics are fine, but the push-button controls are becoming erratic.

Sometimes the volume control does not respond, and, after playing the radio for some time, one often has to pull the plug to turn the unit off. The next day the on-off buttons work - presumably because the unit has cooled.

It would seem the contacts have become dirty. Is it possible to clean them? Can I get to the buttons if I take the cover off? Is Silicone spray a possibility? Have you other suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Dwight Gibb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 12:48:21 PM UTC-4, Dwight Gibb wrote:
The amazing Combridge Soundworks table radio - Model 88 - which has served us for 30 years is fading. The electronics are fine, but the push-button controls are becoming erratic.

Sometimes the volume control does not respond, and, after playing the radio for some time, one often has to pull the plug to turn the unit off. The next day the on-off buttons work - presumably because the unit has cooled.

It would seem the contacts have become dirty. Is it possible to clean them? Can I get to the buttons if I take the cover off? Is Silicone spray a possibility? Have you other suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Dwight Gibb

I'd get a can of electronics cleaner, not silicone spray. I don't know
how it's constructed, how easily dust could get in there, if at all.
Could be they are oxidized or just worn out from use. Usually at that
age other stuff goes too, eg electrolytic caps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/9/2017 9:48 AM, Dwight Gibb wrote:
The amazing Combridge Soundworks table radio - Model 88 - which has served us for 30 years is fading. The electronics are fine, but the push-button controls are becoming erratic.

Sometimes the volume control does not respond, and, after playing the radio for some time, one often has to pull the plug to turn the unit off. The next day the on-off buttons work - presumably because the unit has cooled.

It would seem the contacts have become dirty. Is it possible to clean them? Can I get to the buttons if I take the cover off? Is Silicone spray a possibility? Have you other suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Dwight Gibb

try sci.electronics.repair
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm a bit late to respond, but...

The first reply was in fact, correct. You need a can of contact cleaner. Please note that you need one that contains a lubricant as well. Look specifically for an electronics contact cleaner. I would recommend a product called DeOxit.

Dan