Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UK Don't boil the kettle while charging your electric car because it will blow the fuse, National Grid warns

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 17:27:50 +0100, Caecilius
wrote:

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 07:00:54 -0400, "BurfordTJustice"
wrote:

"The average household is supplied with single phase electricity and is
fitted with a main fuse of 60-80 amps," the National Grid said.

"If one were to use an above average power charger, say 11kW, this would
require 48 amps. When using such a charger it would mean that you could not
use other high demand electrical items... ?without tripping the house's main
fuse."

IME, main fuses are pretty tolerant of short-duration, low-level
overloads. If you have an 80A main fuse running at 100% load, I would
doubt that the additional 12A for a kettle for the 3 mins or so that
it takes to boil will blow it.

There's probably a formal specification somewhere, but in practice
I've found that fuses will run up to around 150% for quite a long
time. They don't really start "blowing" (as in failing immediately)
until you get around 200%.

And isn't it possible to ask for 100A if you need it? I've always
been able to specify 100A on all the properties I've had connected;
but perhaps that's because none of them have been out in the boonies.

That is just strange to Americans. The minimum allowable service in
the US is 100a at 240v (specified in the electrical code) and it has
been that way for at least 50-60 years. Most common is 200a and 400a
is not unusual in a bigger house. A true "mansion" like Al Gore has
would have 1200a or more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

+1

200A here

And boy, if the UK is going with electric cars and they have 60 to 80 amp
services, either it's going to take a very long time to charge those
cars or they will need a service upgrade. I think chargers for electric
cars can need and use a 50A circuit. And this is basic energy physics
that new battery technology, chargers, etc isn't going to fix.