Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can i look at eclipse with

Cell phone? Att says yes. Millions of glasses sold. Are they just suckers?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 11:23:05 -0700 (PDT), Thomas
wrote:

Cell phone? Att says yes. Millions of glasses sold. Are they just suckers?

Like masturbation, you could go blind.

Kurt the 'CyberGuy' breaks down the tech; explains it can damage the
camera lens.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5545678323001/?playlist_id=930909787001#sp=show-clips

Use a pizza box.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 2:23:12 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
Cell phone? Att says yes. Millions of glasses sold. Are they just suckers?

I assume you mean view it by using the camera of the cell phone
and looking at the LCD display. I don't see how that could work,
the sun is way too bright and will just overwhelm the camera.
If you're where there is a total eclipse, for the couple mins
it's total, you don't need anything and you could take a pic then.

I have an arc welding helmet that I'll be using. Even NASA can't
agree on whether a shade 12 glass is sufficient or you need 14.
Mine is 10 and I'm going to use that together with sunglasses.
I'm sure there will be plenty of people telling me I'll go blind...
I'm far more comfortable using that than one of the millions of
those $1 eclipse glasses that God knows who in China made out of what.

Fixing to drive south to SC tomorrow to see it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Cell phone? Att says yes. Millions of glasses sold. Are they just suckers?

Like masturbation, you could go blind.

You make a good point. Can you masturbate enough to protect your eyes
from the eclipse? If so, when do you start?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

wrote:

Cell phone? Att says yes. Millions of glasses sold. Are they just suckers?

Like masturbation, you could go blind.

You make a good point. Can you masturbate enough to protect your eyes
from the eclipse? If so, when do you start?

Start now and keep at it until the ellipse er I mean eclipse.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry. Wrong group. I will move over to smart.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 3:24:19 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
Sorry. Wrong group. I will move over to smart.

That's OK, we weren't doing much anyway. Take off your shoes
pour a cold one and stay a while.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 15:05:25 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Like masturbation, you could go blind.

You make a good point. Can you masturbate enough to protect your eyes
from the eclipse? If so, when do you start?

I'm not the expert here. I hear it keeps you from growing hairy palms
in your hands.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/19/2017 11:23 AM, Thomas wrote:
Cell phone? Att says yes. Millions of glasses sold. Are they just suckers?

That's an excellent option.
If you can't find a hundred websites with real-time eclipse pictures,
you're not trying.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 2:23:12 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
Cell phone? Att says yes. Millions of glasses sold. Are they just suckers?

I wouldn't risk my cell phone, or my eyes.

This morning I mentioned that I intended to use a pinhole camera made
from two index cards (the low-tech solution). My husband said he had
some "welding glass" (perhaps scavenged from an old mask) and he'd see
if he had enough for both of us.

He's a laser engineer. In his lab there's a sign that reads:
Do not look into laser with remaining eye
I tend to trust him on these things.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cell phone? Att says yes. Millions of glasses sold. Are they just suckers?

That's an excellent option.
If you can't find a hundred websites with real-time eclipse pictures,
you're not trying.

This thread got me thinking about photos or video of the eclipse ...
lots of good info out there from a quick google search -
- my favourite one said that if you wish to video the event -
forget the sky - point your video at all the people around you and
record their reactions and especially the audio !
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 10:08:44 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'd love to see it but not possible to travel there right now. Here in
CT we are way out of the path. I did see where farmers are getting big
buck letting people camp out in their fields. I imagine there will be
big crowds in some places.

"...Science Channel will premiere a one-hour special, The Great
American Eclipse ( wt), with same-day footage of the eclipse, on the
21st at 9 PM ET/PT."

https://tinyurl.com/y7uluye8
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 10:08:48 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/20/2017 9:13 AM, wrote:

Cell phone? Att says yes. Millions of glasses sold. Are they just suckers?

That's an excellent option.
If you can't find a hundred websites with real-time eclipse pictures,
you're not trying.

This thread got me thinking about photos or video of the eclipse ...
lots of good info out there from a quick google search -
- my favourite one said that if you wish to video the event -
forget the sky - point your video at all the people around you and
record their reactions and especially the audio !
John T.

I'd love to see it but not possible to travel there right now. Here in
CT we are way out of the path. I did see where farmers are getting big
buck letting people camp out in their fields. I imagine there will be
big crowds in some places.

Back from the eclipse. We viewed it from Sandy Run, SC, which was right
on the center line of the path. Drove down Sunday to Fayettsville, NC
which is about two hours 15 min north of Santee, SC with is center of
the eclipse and close to 95. Planned on going there, but Mon morning
it was 50% cloudy and from looking at the weather, it looked like it
was forecasted to possibly be a little better inland. So, we diverted
part way down to Columbia and then to Sandy Run, just a little southeast
of Columbia, right on the line.

On the ride down, traffic was fine, moving right along. Stopped in
Columbia at Doc's BBQ for lunch. As we headed over to Sandy Run area,
noticed that rest areas along the highway were closed, they were full
of cars, campers, already. So, we got off the road and started scouting
around. There were signs directing to parking for the eclipse, which
turned out to be a field where the owner was charging. IDK how much,
didn't stop, figured we'd scope out other locations, we had close to
an hour. We passed empty church lots, considered one of those, not
much else there, it's very rural. Just about when we were going to
turn around, I spotted Bunky's Tavern, a small, no frill little bar
club for locals. There were two cars and two Harleys outside.
Just as we were about to walk in, a guy comes out, told us it's private
but if we wanted to come in, it's cool, just tell them we're with
him. So three of us walk in beers were $2 and they even had free
eclipse glasses! About a dozen people there total. They had CNN
on the TV, air conditioning, cold beer and best of all, the sky had
cleared. Watched it from there, very cool. We even got to see the
effect where you can see the eclipse on the ground just from the
shadows cast by tree leaves. It was awesome. They had Carly Simon's
You're so vain playing..." you flew your Lear Jet up to Nova Scotia
to see the total eclipse of the sun...."

And then later I found out that the guy who invited us in worked for
the same major company I worked at for 17 years. Amazing. All that
was the great part. The bad part was leaving, worst traffic jam
ever. The ride from Fayetsville that took 2 and half hours, took
6 and a half just to get back there. Just bumper to bumper, moving
20 MPH. Overall, definitely a great experience.