Posted to alt.home.repair

Default WD-40 or something like it cleans contracts.

I can't find the thread about the radio/cassette/CD player that worked
for a while after I jiggled the on/off slide switch and then stopped,
and then jiggling wouldn't make the power light even flicker in the
slightest. But that tended to convince me the problem was somewhere
else.

But just before I left, I figured there was nothing to lose so I took
the knob off and sprayed just a little bit of the stuff in the top of
the slide switch. The can was blue and red or something that reminded
me of WD-40 but its name was nothing like that.

Anyhow the radio went on immediately after turning it on, no jiggling
required. So WD-40 looks pretty good for cleaning the contacts on a
power switch, probably carrying 12 volts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 09 Jun 2017 22:12:03 -0400, micky
wrote:

I can't find the thread about the radio/cassette/CD player that worked
for a while after I jiggled the on/off slide switch and then stopped,
and then jiggling wouldn't make the power light even flicker in the
slightest. But that tended to convince me the problem was somewhere
else.

But just before I left, I figured there was nothing to lose so I took
the knob off and sprayed just a little bit of the stuff in the top of
the slide switch. The can was blue and red or something that reminded
me of WD-40 but its name was nothing like that.

Anyhow the radio went on immediately after turning it on, no jiggling
required. So WD-40 looks pretty good for cleaning the contacts on a
power switch, probably carrying 12 volts.

You just said it wasn't WD40 - and you have no idea WHAT you used, so
how do you come to that conclusion????? Mickey logic I guess.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/9/17 10:12 PM, micky wrote:
I can't find the thread about the radio/cassette/CD player that worked
for a while after I jiggled the on/off slide switch and then stopped,
and then jiggling wouldn't make the power light even flicker in the
slightest. But that tended to convince me the problem was somewhere
else.

But just before I left, I figured there was nothing to lose so I took
the knob off and sprayed just a little bit of the stuff in the top of
the slide switch. The can was blue and red or something that reminded
me of WD-40 but its name was nothing like that.

Anyhow the radio went on immediately after turning it on, no jiggling
required. So WD-40 looks pretty good for cleaning the contacts on a
power switch, probably carrying 12 volts.

The "WD-40" brand does have a Contact Cleaner specific formulation

http://www.homedepot.com/p/WD-40-SPE...0083/206356189
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I can't find the thread about the radio/cassette/CD player that worked
for a while after I jiggled the on/off slide switch and then stopped,
and then jiggling wouldn't make the power light even flicker in the
slightest. But that tended to convince me the problem was somewhere
else.

But just before I left, I figured there was nothing to lose so I took
the knob off and sprayed just a little bit of the stuff in the top of
the slide switch. The can was blue and red or something that reminded
me of WD-40 but its name was nothing like that.

Anyhow the radio went on immediately after turning it on, no jiggling
required. So WD-40 looks pretty good for cleaning the contacts on a
power switch, probably carrying 12 volts.

You just said it wasn't WD40 -

No I didn't. I said its name (in the other country in another
language. and even if it were in English) was nothing like WD-40, but
the product might well have been WD-40.

and you have no idea WHAT you used, so

That's not true either. I know about what I used that if was not
WD-40, it was a lot like WD-40,

how do you come to that conclusion?????

It's a pretty weak conclusion. I said it *looks* pretty good. As in
"It looks like it will be a nice day." That's no guarantee.

The product I used was good for cleaning contacts and it looks like
WD-40 would be good also.

: Mickey logic I guess.

Darn right.

It's sort of amazing to me that I go to the trouble of posting something
that might be helpful for the readers, just like I did when I posted
about email alerts for charge card charges and the pitfalls with them,
which could be a great help to those who get misleading email alerts
about their charges, and instead of thanking me or ignoring me, you and
a few of the others like to carp about the posts and insult the poster.

Now I'm not saying you folks are these, only that this is the metaphor
that others would use in this situation and the metaphor normally used
for this is a pack of jackals. I think it's a shame that this
reference even occurs to me here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Since proper contact cleaner is available just about anywhere in the
world, what makes you think there is value in your recommendation that
it appears something like wd-40 would work for cleaning contacts??
It MIGHT work, but it also might destroy the control - and depending
what the control is part of, it might be serious.
In Denmark, WD 40 is still WD 40, and the WD 40 is on the can. see:
http://www.wd40.dk/
Also in Finland, Sweden, and Norway.spain, and portugal,even in
israel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Servisol switch cleaner.