DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How do you kill weeds in cement cracks? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/591582-how-do-you-kill-weeds-cement-cracks.html)

mike[_22_] June 8th 17 11:24 PM

How do you kill weeds in cement cracks?

The sidewalk in front of my house butts up against
the cement curb. There's a long crack between the two.
Weeds grow out of it.
I've tried weed killer.
I've tried the ground clear stuff that is supposed to kill
everything and prevent regrowth.
I'm not just spraying 'em, I'm pouring the concentrated
stuff down the crack.
But still the weeds keep coming.
How do I make it stop?

trader_4 June 9th 17 12:08 AM

On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 6:26:31 PM UTC-4, mike wrote:
The sidewalk in front of my house butts up against
the cement curb. There's a long crack between the two.
Weeds grow out of it.
I've tried weed killer.
I've tried the ground clear stuff that is supposed to kill
everything and prevent regrowth.
I'm not just spraying 'em, I'm pouring the concentrated
stuff down the crack.
But still the weeds keep coming.
How do I make it stop?

I've never had a problem. Roundup kills what's growing in just a week, as long as temps are warm. And the ground clear, extended stuff works for months. And that's at just average strength too.

Oren[_2_] June 9th 17 12:32 AM

On Thu, 08 Jun 2017 15:24:48 -0700, mike wrote:

But still the weeds keep coming.
How do I make it stop?

Fire. Scorch the plant to kill the root's. Plants need roots.

mike[_22_] June 9th 17 12:57 AM

On 6/8/2017 4:32 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 08 Jun 2017 15:24:48 -0700, mike wrote:

But still the weeds keep coming.
How do I make it stop?

Fire. Scorch the plant to kill the root's. Plants need roots.

Are you saying that ground clear or roundup doesn't kill the root?

songbird June 9th 17 01:16 AM

mike wrote:
The sidewalk in front of my house butts up against
the cement curb. There's a long crack between the two.
Weeds grow out of it.
I've tried weed killer.

what kind? and how are you using it?

I've tried the ground clear stuff that is supposed to kill
everything and prevent regrowth.
I'm not just spraying 'em, I'm pouring the concentrated
stuff down the crack.

depends upon what type of weed killer it is.

But still the weeds keep coming.
How do I make it stop?

get the weeds dead, then take an air compressor
and blow the dirt out and caulk the crack closed.
weeds won't grow there if light, water and air
can't get in.

songbird

Bill[_70_] June 9th 17 01:26 AM

On 6/8/2017 6:24 PM, mike wrote:
The sidewalk in front of my house butts up against
the cement curb. There's a long crack between the two.
Weeds grow out of it.
I've tried weed killer.
I've tried the ground clear stuff that is supposed to kill
everything and prevent regrowth.
I'm not just spraying 'em, I'm pouring the concentrated
stuff down the crack.
But still the weeds keep coming.
How do I make it stop?

I use straight vinegar. It doesn't kill as long as weed killer but then it doesn't leave a toxic mess either.

mike[_22_] June 9th 17 02:13 AM

On 6/8/2017 5:16 PM, songbird wrote:
mike wrote:
The sidewalk in front of my house butts up against
the cement curb. There's a long crack between the two.
Weeds grow out of it.
I've tried weed killer.

what kind? and how are you using it?

I've tried the ground clear stuff that is supposed to kill
everything and prevent regrowth.
I'm not just spraying 'em, I'm pouring the concentrated
stuff down the crack.

depends upon what type of weed killer it is.

Instead of playing 20-questions, suppose we get back to the
original question and you tell me what kind to use.

Would save everybody a lot of time.

But still the weeds keep coming.
How do I make it stop?

get the weeds dead, then take an air compressor
and blow the dirt out and caulk the crack closed.
weeds won't grow there if light, water and air
can't get in.

That would take a lot of caulk.

songbird

Unquestionably Confused[_4_] June 9th 17 02:39 AM

mike wrote:
The sidewalk in front of my house butts up against
the cement curb. There's a long crack between the two.
Weeds grow out of it.
I've tried weed killer.

what kind? and how are you using it?

I've tried the ground clear stuff that is supposed to kill
everything and prevent regrowth.
I'm not just spraying 'em, I'm pouring the concentrated
stuff down the crack.

depends upon what type of weed killer it is.

Instead of playing 20-questions, suppose we get back to the
original question and you tell me what kind to use.

Would save everybody a lot of time.

Since you apparently have all the answers and don't need to define the
problem a bit further so that folks can give you a meaningful answer,
why don't YOU crawl back in your hole and wither away.

Nothing like some anal pore walking around looking for help and then
****ting on those who try to provide the best answers.

KISS? 20 gallons of gas, a match and mind the house! Dickhead!

Dean Hoffman[_12_] June 9th 17 03:22 AM

On 6/8/17 5:24 PM, mike wrote:
The sidewalk in front of my house butts up against
the cement curb. There's a long crack between the two.
Weeds grow out of it.
I've tried weed killer.
I've tried the ground clear stuff that is supposed to kill
everything and prevent regrowth.
I'm not just spraying 'em, I'm pouring the concentrated
stuff down the crack.
But still the weeds keep coming.
How do I make it stop?

Lay a flat metal strip over the crack. The metal strip plus some
concrete anchor screws should do some good.

[email protected] June 9th 17 03:30 AM

How do you kill weeds in cement cracks?

Roundup works well for me, but you do need to follow the instructions to make it most effective.

Dan Espen[_3_] June 9th 17 04:10 AM

mike wrote:
[...]

It's only a "long" crack.
:)

Songbirds answer seems to me to have a good chance of
"preventing regrowth" which is what the OP wanted.

Filling with polymeric sand might be an option.
No personal experience with it.

--
Dan Espen

micky June 9th 17 04:12 AM

How do you kill weeds in cement cracks?

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 08 Jun 2017 15:24:48 -0700, mike
wrote:

The sidewalk in front of my house butts up against
the cement curb. There's a long crack between the two.
Weeds grow out of it.
I've tried weed killer.
I've tried the ground clear stuff that is supposed to kill
everything and prevent regrowth.
I'm not just spraying 'em, I'm pouring the concentrated
stuff down the crack.
But still the weeds keep coming.
How do I make it stop?

My neighbors, trying to be nice, mowed a little piece of my lawn,
including my new rose bush, 4 times. I was sure each time they killed
it, especially the last time, but it came back again this year and had
had two roses by the time I got back May 29th.

The lawn mower probably left 2 inches of the stem each time, but no
leaves or flowers.

songbird June 9th 17 04:20 AM

mike wrote:
That would take a lot of caulk.

you can fill it most of the way with
other stuff and then just caulk the
top part.

as for weed killer, any harsh chemical
will often work for a short period of time
but if the gap remains and is hospitable
for any weed seed that blows or washes in...
well, they'll come back.

i've used vinegar, ammonia, bleach,
roundup, salt, boiling water, flames, but
these days i usually pull them and let them
bake in the sun for a few weeks before
burying them. worm food...

songbird

mike[_22_] June 9th 17 04:55 AM

How do you kill weeds in cement cracks?

Since you apparently have all the answers and don't need to define the
problem a bit further so that folks can give you a meaningful answer,
why don't YOU crawl back in your hole and wither away.

I've got weeds growing in a crack. You wanna DNA sample of each?

Nothing like some anal pore walking around looking for help and then
****ting on those who try to provide the best answers.

KISS? 20 gallons of gas, a match and mind the house! Dickhead!

At least you made a recommendation. Thanks for staying on topic.

Uncle Monster[_2_] June 9th 17 05:40 AM

On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 5:26:31 PM UTC-5, mike wrote:
The sidewalk in front of my house butts up against
the cement curb. There's a long crack between the two.
Weeds grow out of it.
I've tried weed killer.
I've tried the ground clear stuff that is supposed to kill
everything and prevent regrowth.
I'm not just spraying 'em, I'm pouring the concentrated
stuff down the crack.
But still the weeds keep coming.
How do I make it stop?

I came across a website that shows a lot of ways to eliminate weeds. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://www.thespruce.com/rid-sidewa...-weeds-2540087

[8~{} Uncle Weed Monster

itsjoannotjoann June 9th 17 06:49 AM

How do you kill weeds in cement cracks?

On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 5:26:31 PM UTC-5, mike wrote:

The sidewalk in front of my house butts up against
the cement curb. There's a long crack between the two.
Weeds grow out of it.
I've tried weed killer.
I've tried the ground clear stuff that is supposed to kill
everything and prevent regrowth.
I'm not just spraying 'em, I'm pouring the concentrated
stuff down the crack.
But still the weeds keep coming.
How do I make it stop?

I use Roundup and have a hard time believing it's not killing
your weeds. Before applying though I do knock down those
weeds with a weed eater then apply the extra strong solution
along the whole crack, not just where those weeds are popping
up. With the weeds chopped down they seem to absorb the
Roundup readily and are quickly killed.

Vic Smith June 9th 17 06:59 AM

mike wrote:
[...]

http://amzn.to/2qpyIaM

I bought the quart size, but I don't see it around now.
Used it for my badly cracked driveway for the last 2 years.
Weeds don't come back until the next year.

trader_4 June 9th 17 07:28 AM

On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 1:49:41 AM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 5:26:31 PM UTC-5, mike wrote:

The sidewalk in front of my house butts up against
the cement curb. There's a long crack between the two.
Weeds grow out of it.
I've tried weed killer.
I've tried the ground clear stuff that is supposed to kill
everything and prevent regrowth.
I'm not just spraying 'em, I'm pouring the concentrated
stuff down the crack.
But still the weeds keep coming.
How do I make it stop?

I use Roundup and have a hard time believing it's not killing
your weeds. Before applying though I do knock down those
weeds with a weed eater then apply the extra strong solution
along the whole crack, not just where those weeds are popping
up.

Applying roundup where there are no weeds is just wasting it and spreading more chemicals into the environment. It works by being absorbed into plant leaves and has no effect on emergence. You can spray an area with roundup to kill weeds and seed it just a few days later.

With the weeds chopped down they seem to absorb the
Roundup readily and are quickly killed.

It would be more effective without cutting them down. It works by absorption through the leaves. Agree that it's effective, I don't have any problem with it killing weeds in cracks either.

mike[_22_] June 9th 17 07:44 AM

How do you PREVENT weeds from growing in cement cracks?

On 6/8/2017 11:28 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I changed the subject line to more accurately reflect my desire.
How do you PREVENT weeds from growing in cement cracks?

I have no trouble killing the weeds.
It's a pita to get the dead carcass out of the crack.
But they come back almost immediately.
I'd like a semi-permanent solution.
The ground clear stuff that claims to PREVENT weed growth for six months
doesn't.
No, I don't remember the brand, it's all used up and gone.

We've also got weeds growing up thru the tar they put in the cracks
of the asphalt roadway.

trader_4 June 9th 17 07:54 AM

On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 2:45:56 AM UTC-4, mike wrote:
[...]

Are you spraying it up close, getting it into the crack? If it's light and only goes around the crack and not in it, it won't work. Using the pre-mixed or concentrated, where you can determine the strength?

mike[_22_] June 9th 17 08:53 AM

On 6/8/2017 11:54 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

I'm using undiluted concentrated stuff and pouring it into the crack.
I'm assuming the stuff doesn't degrade in storage.
It was probably 20 years old.
Probably banned by now for being too toxic.

Nobody has suggested a currently available brand that they've used.

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] June 9th 17 11:35 AM

How do you kill weeds in cement cracks?

On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 6:26:31 PM UTC-4, mike wrote:
The sidewalk in front of my house butts up against
the cement curb. There's a long crack between the two.
Weeds grow out of it.
I've tried weed killer.
I've tried the ground clear stuff that is supposed to kill
everything and prevent regrowth.
I'm not just spraying 'em, I'm pouring the concentrated
stuff down the crack.
But still the weeds keep coming.
How do I make it stop?

Weed killer will kill the weeds that are actively growing, but
it will not kill the seeds that are still in the crack, which
subsequently germinate and grow.

Keep using the weed killer every time weeds grow back.

Home ownership/maintenance requires constant vigilance and
dogged persistence.

Cindy Hamilton

Dean Hoffman[_12_] June 9th 17 11:50 AM

On 6/9/17 1:44 AM, mike wrote:

How do you PREVENT weeds from growing in cement cracks?
I have no trouble killing the weeds.
It's a pita to get the dead carcass out of the crack.
But they come back almost immediately.
I'd like a semi-permanent solution.
The ground clear stuff that claims to PREVENT weed growth for six months
doesn't.
No, I don't remember the brand, it's all used up and gone.
We've also got weeds growing up thru the tar they put in the cracks
of the asphalt roadway.

Look for pre emerge herbicides. Use of those plus the crop canopy
are a couple of the farmer's weapons against weeds. This might sound
odd but the main part of the weed could be outside of the crack. Some
have roots that extend a long ways. The farmers here will know the term
in an instant.
Weed killers are a lot better than they were 30 years ago. Fields
were weedy toward the end of the growing season back then. Now they're
mostly clear even into early September.

BurfordTJustice[_4_] June 9th 17 01:04 PM

How do you kill weeds in cement cracks?

any brand will do the job.
https://www.amazon.com/Red-Dragon-VT...M0GQ03PA3FRMJR

Vic Smith June 9th 17 02:17 PM

How do you PREVENT weeds from growing in cement cracks?

Nobody has suggested a currently available brand that they've used.

I did. And I just applied it a couple weeks ago.

Stormin' Norman June 9th 17 02:40 PM

On Thu, 08 Jun 2017 23:44:15 -0700, mike wrote:

I have no trouble killing the weeds.
It's a pita to get the dead carcass out of the crack.
But they come back almost immediately.
I'd like a semi-permanent solution.
The ground clear stuff that claims to PREVENT weed growth for six months
doesn't.
No, I don't remember the brand, it's all used up and gone.

We've also got weeds growing up thru the tar they put in the cracks
of the asphalt roadway.

The old Roman trick to prevent anything from growing was to salt the
land. However, that would be a pain in the ass and would probably do
more damage to the concrete.

As you are pouring straight triox (bad, bad idea) into these gaps /
cracks, it would seem you are not concerned about chemical
contamination, if that is true, go buy a gallon of diesel fuel and
pour it in the problem area. When I was a youngster, that is how we
solved the issue you are describing. It's cheap, easy and not really
great for the environment, but neither is what you are doing now.

It might take several treatments over a few weeks, but soon, you will
not have weeds in the treated area,

itsjoannotjoann June 9th 17 02:50 PM

On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 1:45:56 AM UTC-5, mike wrote:

On 6/8/2017 11:28 PM, trader_4 wrote:

On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 1:49:41 AM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

I use Roundup and have a hard time believing it's not killing
your weeds. Before applying though I do knock down those
weeds with a weed eater then apply the extra strong solution
along the whole crack, not just where those weeds are popping
up.

Applying roundup where there are no weeds is just wasting it and spreading more chemicals into the environment. It works by being absorbed into plant leaves and has no effect on emergence. You can spray an area with roundup to kill weeds and seed it just a few days later.

I live in a 90+ year old neighborhood and some sidewalks are in
worse shape than others and the city is slowly replacing those.
Those older sidewalks have random cracks here and there and I
will weed eat what I see springing up right down lever with the
sidewalk. I have a large plastic bottle that I put the mixed
Roundup in and then put a dishwashing detergent fliptop cap on
this bottle so I direct a small stream of the weed killer on the
whole crack. First time I did this I used one of those pump
garden sprayers not realizing there was drift that day and ended
up killing a lot of things that didn't need to be zapped.

Anyway, this treatment I do lasts until the next Spring.

With the weeds chopped down they seem to absorb the
Roundup readily and are quickly killed.

It would be more effective without cutting them down. It works by absorption through the leaves. Agree that it's effective, I don't have any problem with it killing weeds in cracks either.

Thanks, I changed the subject line to more accurately reflect my desire.
How do you PREVENT weeds from growing in cement cracks?

I have no trouble killing the weeds.
It's a pita to get the dead carcass out of the crack.
But they come back almost immediately.
I'd like a semi-permanent solution.
The ground clear stuff that claims to PREVENT weed growth for six months
doesn't.
No, I don't remember the brand, it's all used up and gone.

Head off to Home Depot and Lowe's and buy a bottle of Roundup
that you will mix with water.

We've also got weeds growing up thru the tar they put in the cracks
of the asphalt roadway.

Just last week I treated a spot that was asphalt with a patch of
weeds. It's free of whatever it was now. If weeds decide to
try it again in that spot it will be next year before they reappear.

itsjoannotjoann June 9th 17 02:53 PM

On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 7:04:15 AM UTC-5, BurfordTJustice wrote:

any brand will do the job.
https://www.amazon.com/Red-Dragon-VT...M0GQ03PA3FRMJR

Just last week I used the last ounce or so that was remaining
in a bottle of Home Depots brand of Roundup. Most likely it
was packed by Roundup and it did an exceptional job and I
would not hesitate to buy it again.

trader_4 June 9th 17 07:25 PM

On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 3:55:02 AM UTC-4, mike wrote:
[...]

Why would you ever use a concentrate without diluting it? I have 2 gallons of glyphosate,50%,it will make hundreds of gallons. Or I could waste it and just spray it on as is.

I'm assuming the stuff doesn't degrade in storage.
It was probably 20 years old.

Maybe that assumption is faulty?

Taxed and Spent June 9th 17 08:41 PM

On 6/9/2017 11:25 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

My experience is that it does not degrade after many years. Even when
being through a barn fire, but plastic jug untouched.

itsjoannotjoann June 9th 17 09:20 PM

How do you kill weeds in cement cracks?

On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 1:07:48 PM UTC-5, BurfordTJustice wrote:

So what?

any brand will do the job.

I was replying to your response that any brand will do.
I responded by saying the Home Depot brand will do just
as well as the national brand of Roundup.

What is so hard to understand about that?

itsjoannotjoann June 9th 17 09:22 PM

On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 2:41:31 PM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:

On 6/9/2017 11:25 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I'm assuming the stuff doesn't degrade in storage.
It was probably 20 years old.

Maybe that assumption is faulty?

My experience is that it does not degrade after many years. Even when
being through a barn fire, but plastic jug untouched.

Same here, even mixed up and left outside over the winter it does
not reduce it's potency.

trader_4 June 9th 17 09:38 PM

On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 3:41:31 PM UTC-4, Taxed and Spent wrote:
[...]

I would agree that the products I have used don't seem to degrade either, but there are many kinds of products and we have no idea what he has, because he hasn't said. Also in my experience the roundup and ground clear type of products are effective for weeds in cracks, so something is wrong.

trader_4 June 9th 17 09:40 PM

On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 4:20:45 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 1:07:48 PM UTC-5, BurfordTJustice wrote:

So what?

any brand will do the job.

I was replying to your response that any brand will do.
I responded by saying the Home Depot brand will do just
as well as the national brand of Roundup.

What is so hard to understand about that?

There are other brands available online or at farm supply stores that are just as effective and a lot less than anything at HD. I buy 2.5 gallons, 50%,for $75.

Don Wiss June 9th 17 09:44 PM

How do you kill weeds in cement cracks?

On Thu, 08 Jun 2017 15:24:48 -0700, mike wrote:

I'm not just spraying 'em, I'm pouring the concentrated
stuff down the crack.

That could be a problem. You are supposed to spray the foliage. Not pour on
the roots.

[email protected] June 9th 17 10:45 PM

How do you kill weeds in cement cracks?

mike wrote:
[...]

Caulking all the seams in my 4 car driveway would take a lot of
caulk, and it would look AWFULL - particularly when the caulk started
letting go - - - -

[email protected] June 9th 17 10:50 PM

How do you PREVENT weeds from growing in cement cracks?

On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 05:50:23 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 6/9/17 1:44 AM, mike wrote:

[...]

The only stuff we are allowed to use up here today doesn't hold a
candle to what was available 30, or even 15 years ago for
effectiveness. It MIGHT be safer.