DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   A Very British Response to Terror (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/591373-very-british-response-terror.html)

Bod[_3_] June 5th 17 11:40 AM

A Very British Response to Terror

*New York Times report*

"These moments encapsulated something about Britains calm, defiant
response to the threat of terror. Even as we face an increasing number
of attacks, we are learning to cope with grief, loss and violence in our
own way".

"In the face of this, were choosing vigilance, calm and just a little
bit of humor. And any fear projected on to us will be met with a very
British response: Sarcasm".

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/04/o...l-right-region

We won't be intimidated :-)

James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] June 5th 17 02:21 PM

Translation, we're doing **** all about it, instead of what we should be doing, blowing the **** out of their country.

--
Clair Frisby talking about a jumbo hot dog on Look North said: "There's nothing like a big hot sausage inside you on a cold night like this."

rbowman June 5th 17 05:33 PM

A Very British Response to Terror

Translation, we're doing **** all about it, instead of what we should be
doing, blowing the **** out of their country.

It will be interesting to see what May's interpretation of Ya basta! is.

Frank[_24_] June 5th 17 07:00 PM

A Very British Response to Terror

On Mon, 05 Jun 2017 11:40:40 +0100, Bod wrote:

*New York Times report*

"These moments encapsulated something about Britains calm, defiant
response to the threat of terror. Even as we face an increasing number
of attacks, we are learning to cope with grief, loss and violence in our
own way".

"In the face of this, were choosing vigilance, calm and just a little
bit of humor. And any fear projected on to us will be met with a very
British response: Sarcasm".

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/04/o...l-right-region

We won't be intimidated :-)

Translation, we're doing **** all about it, instead of what we should be
doing, blowing the **** out of their country.

First rid yourself of the vermin in your house. Then go clean other houses.

James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] June 5th 17 07:29 PM

On Mon, 05 Jun 2017 19:00:20 +0100, Frank "frank wrote:

On Mon, 05 Jun 2017 11:40:40 +0100, Bod wrote:

*New York Times report*

"These moments encapsulated something about Britains calm, defiant
response to the threat of terror. Even as we face an increasing number
of attacks, we are learning to cope with grief, loss and violence in our
own way".

"In the face of this, were choosing vigilance, calm and just a little
bit of humor. And any fear projected on to us will be met with a very
British response: Sarcasm".

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/04/o...l-right-region

We won't be intimidated :-)

Translation, we're doing **** all about it, instead of what we should be
doing, blowing the **** out of their country.

First rid yourself of the vermin in your house. Then go clean other houses.

What?

--
Our parents got divorced when we were kids and it was kind of cool.

We got to go to divorce court with them. It was like a game show. My mom won the house and car. We're all excited. My dad got some luggage.

Oren[_2_] June 5th 17 07:49 PM

A Very British Response to Terror

On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 11:40:40 +0100, Bod wrote:

We won't be intimidated :-)

Wrong. The new thing is Run, Hide and Tell. When will you Brit's
decide to Confront, Fight and Kill?

Frank[_24_] June 5th 17 07:55 PM

[...]

Aren't you going to close down all the Mosques where Imams are teaching
hate. You have already been infiltrated. As soon as something occurs
your police know who else is to blame because they have been watching
them. You get rid of all these first, then go after the outside source.

James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] June 5th 17 08:59 PM

On Mon, 05 Jun 2017 19:55:10 +0100, Frank "frank wrote:

[...]

Both need to be done urgently.

--
A fat girl served me in McDonald's at lunchtime. She said "sorry about the wait". I said, "Don't worry, you'll find a way to lose it eventually"

Mr Pounder Esquire June 5th 17 10:01 PM

Oren wrote:
On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 11:40:40 +0100, Bod wrote:

We won't be intimidated :-)

Wrong. The new thing is Run, Hide and Tell. When will you Brit's
decide to Confront, Fight and Kill?

Nar, we will have a concert instead of confronting, fighting and killing
these arseholes. And most will love it.
Right up Bod's street it that, little yellow caravan dweller.

Meanie[_7_] June 5th 17 10:33 PM

A Very British Response to Terror

On Mon, 05 Jun 2017 11:40:40 +0100, Bod wrote:

*New York Times report*

"These moments encapsulated something about Britains calm, defiant
response to the threat of terror. Even as we face an increasing number
of attacks, we are learning to cope with grief, loss and violence in our
own way".

"In the face of this, were choosing vigilance, calm and just a little
bit of humor. And any fear projected on to us will be met with a very
British response: Sarcasm".

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/04/o...l-right-region

We won't be intimidated :-)

Translation, we're doing **** all about it, instead of what we should be
doing, blowing the **** out of their country.

That was my thought. In other words, it's a pacifist approach and do
**** about it because they are a weak nation. I bet the family of those
who were killed aren't choosing vigilance, staying calm and laughing
with sarcasm.

Meanie[_7_] June 5th 17 10:37 PM

A Very British Response to Terror

On 6/5/2017 6:40 AM, Bod wrote:

We won't be intimidated :-)

ROFLMFAO! Yea, sure you won't. As the list of terrorist attacks grow,
your country will be laughing their asses off with sarcastic humor and
the terrorists will be laughing their asses off at the simplicity of
doing so.

James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] June 5th 17 11:18 PM

On Mon, 05 Jun 2017 22:33:31 +0100, Meanie wrote:

[...]

The only people laughing are the Muslims, at how little we're doing to retaliate. And to think Britain used to have an empire. I'm ashamed to be British.

--
If you lose your keys, attempt to drown yourself in a basin of water. Your life will flash before your eyes. Eventually you'll remember the part where you last had your keys.

Frank[_24_] June 5th 17 11:43 PM

[...]

Apparently European muzzies are worse than the ones that come here.
Also to monitor one suspicious person round the clock costs maybe half
million dollars. Even just extreme vetting for one to get in costs
about $60,000.

Frank[_24_] June 5th 17 11:47 PM

[...]

Don't forget, you have a lot on your side and we got rid of our muzzie
tutored leader.

James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] June 6th 17 12:33 AM

On Mon, 05 Jun 2017 23:47:06 +0100, Frank "frank wrote:

[...]

I can't believe you guys voted him in!

--
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

rbowman June 6th 17 04:39 AM

A Very British Response to Terror

The only people laughing are the Muslims, at how little we're doing to
retaliate. And to think Britain used to have an empire. I'm ashamed
to be British.

Two unnecessary wars killed off the best leaving you with Dim from
'Clockwork orange'.

rbowman June 6th 17 04:43 AM

A Very British Response to Terror

I can't believe you guys voted him in!

Consider the alternative choices; a senile warmonger followed by a card
carrying member of the 1%. The Republicans would have lost this time
too but Trump blind-sided them. Jeb Milquetoat was supposed to be the
candidate.

Bod[_3_] June 6th 17 05:29 AM

[...]

You mean that our terrorists do worse than flying planes into
skyscrapers etc and killing 3000 odd people !
Have you forgotten that already?

Bod[_3_] June 6th 17 12:11 PM

A Very British Response to Terror

The attacks in the US have decreased while they have increased in the
UK. Thus, we are safer than you. Who truly isn't intimidated?

Your perception is wrong, terrorism is up in the UK *and* the USA:

According to two big databases, the number of people who died in terror
attacks in North America and Western Europe rose markedly in 2015,
claiming more than 200 lives. This year, according to one count, it is
on track to be even worse.

But terrorism in the West is rare. In the parts of the world where it is
more common €” deaths in those regions are in the thousands rather than
the dozens €” terror attacks appear to be decreasing.

And as bad as terrorism has been in the West recently, it was worse in
the 1970s and 1980s.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/16/u...-world-no.html

Muggles[_20_] June 6th 17 02:37 PM

A Very British Response to Terror

On 6/6/2017 5:56 AM, Meanie wrote:

Also, we have a president who many simple minded liberals dislike
because he wants to do something about this issue and blatantly says so,
as many citizens back up his ideas. He's not saying we will approach
this with laughter or sarcasm. He, along with many of us are willing to
take drastic approaches.

The attacks in the US have decreased while they have increased in the
UK. Thus, we are safer than you. Who truly isn't intimidated?

+100

--
Maggie

Bod[_3_] June 6th 17 04:43 PM

On 06/06/2017 14:37, Muggles wrote:
On 6/6/2017 5:56 AM, Meanie wrote:

Also, we have a president who many simple minded liberals dislike
because he wants to do something about this issue and blatantly says so,
as many citizens back up his ideas. He's not saying we will approach
this with laughter or sarcasm. He, along with many of us are willing to
take drastic approaches.

The attacks in the US have decreased while they have increased in the
UK. Thus, we are safer than you. Who truly isn't intimidated?

+100

Hmm! Are you sure? You create your own mass shootings. to make up for it.

1,000 mass shootings in 1,260 days.
https://www.theguardian.com ۼ US News ۼ US gun control
14 Jun 2016 - Sunday's attack on the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Florida
was the deadliest mass shooting in American history €“ but there were
five other ...

Oren[_2_] June 6th 17 09:47 PM

On Tue, 6 Jun 2017 10:43:09 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 06/06/2017 05:11 AM, Bod wrote:

And as bad as terrorism has been in the West recently, it was worse in
the 1970s and 1980s.

In the '70s and '80s you had an assortment of nutters. In the 21st
century you can describe the source more succinctly.

The biggest terroist threat was when the Brit's showed up at
Lexington and Concord.

Folks had to hide guns & powder. Then fight the limeys again in
'Narleans.

Oren[_2_] June 6th 17 09:52 PM

A Very British Response to Terror

On Tue, 6 Jun 2017 09:50:30 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 12:41:05 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 06/06/2017 05:11 AM, Bod wrote:

And as bad as terrorism has been in the West recently, it was worse in
the 1970s and 1980s.

In the '70s and '80s you had an assortment of nutters. In the 21st
century you can describe the source more succinctly.

I'd like to see the basis and metrics for the claim that terrorism was
worse in the 70s and 80s. It certainly was not worse here in the USA.

At the time we were mostly dealing airline highjackers. Dropped a few
off in Havana.

Oren[_2_] June 6th 17 10:00 PM

A Very British Response to Terror

On Tue, 6 Jun 2017 21:14:09 +0100, Bod wrote:

I don't get your strange logic. I just don't want nor need one, it's
nothing to do with fear. If anyone needs to carry a deadly weapon on
them, then it is they that have the fear.

Of course not. You have never been around dangerous critters. You
limeys think a sharp stick will poke your eye out while a swamp
creature gobbles you up.

Don't like guns, trust your government to protect you, fine. I'm not
that ****in' dumb. I could take you places and laugh when you ****
your diaper.

I have never encountered people like those.

I rest my case. I have. Some people need killin'.

Meanie[_7_] June 6th 17 10:21 PM

On 6/6/2017 11:43 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

LMFAO! Of course a spin attempt to avoid the terrorist facts. Stick to
the topic.

Meanie[_7_] June 6th 17 10:21 PM

On 6/6/2017 7:11 AM, Bod wrote:

The attacks in the US have decreased while they have increased in the
UK. Thus, we are safer than you. Who truly isn't intimidated?

Your perception is wrong, terrorism is up in the UK *and* the USA:

According to two big databases, the number of people who died in terror
attacks in North America and Western Europe rose markedly in 2015,
claiming more than 200 lives. This year, according to one count, it is
on track to be even worse.

But terrorism in the West is rare. In the parts of the world where it is
more common €” deaths in those regions are in the thousands rather than
the dozens €” terror attacks appear to be decreasing.

And as bad as terrorism has been in the West recently, it was worse in
the 1970s and 1980s.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/16/u...-world-no.html

How interesting...."according to "two" big databases".... which
ironically aren't provided.

rbowman June 6th 17 11:03 PM

wrote:

On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 12:41:05 PM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 06/06/2017 05:11 AM, Bod wrote:

And as bad as terrorism has been in the West recently, it was worse in
the 1970s and 1980s.

In the '70s and '80s you had an assortment of nutters. In the 21st
century you can describe the source more succinctly.

I'd like to see the basis and metrics for the claim that terrorism was
worse in the 70s and 80s. It certainly was not worse here in the USA.

At the time we were mostly dealing airline highjackers. Dropped a few
off in Havana.

My future wife and I flew out of Memphis in December of '68. The
stewardess came up to us barely able to suppress a fit of giggles. "That
lady three rows in front asked if you're going to hijack the plane to
Cuba. You wouldn't do that, would you?" Long hair, beard, leather jacket
with a peace sign dangling from the pull. Yeah, we were terrorists.
Still have long hair, a beard, and a leather jacket but now I'm a
deplorable.

Terry Coombs[_2_] June 7th 17 03:03 AM

wrote:

[...]

Black leather ? ARrrrr , how much for the little girrrrrlllllll ...

--

Snag

[email protected] June 7th 17 04:38 AM

They should be changing their bull**** immigration policies.

Bod[_3_] June 7th 17 05:55 AM

A Very British Response to Terror

Don't like guns, trust your government to protect you, fine. I'm not
that ****in' dumb. I could take you places and laugh when you ****
your diaper.

I have never encountered people like those.

I haven't lately now that I have no need to visit the cesspools many
large American cities have become.

I have to go to Memphis Thursday ... lately I've opted for
concealability over firepower when I feel the need to pack . Davis
Industries used to make (might still) a .38 Spl 2-shooter that would fit
nicely in the back pocket of your jeans .

--

Snag

My wife and I spent 3 days in Memphis (without a gun) about 10 years
ago and survived :-)

Jack June 7th 17 09:47 AM

On 06/07/2017 12:55 AM, Bod wrote:

Don't like guns, trust your government to protect you, fine. I'm not
that ****in' dumb. I could take you places and laugh when you ****
your diaper.

I have never encountered people like those.

I haven't lately now that I have no need to visit the cesspools many
large American cities have become.

I have to go to Memphis Thursday ... lately I've opted for
concealability over firepower when I feel the need to pack . Davis
Industries used to make (might still) a .38 Spl 2-shooter that would
fit nicely in the back pocket of your jeans .

--

Snag

My wife and I spent 3 days in Memphis (without a gun) about 10 years
ago and survived :-)

If you are white, there are areas of Chicago you wouldn't last 15
minutes. The blacks there are extremely intolerant of white people.

Bod[_3_] June 7th 17 09:57 AM

On 07/06/2017 09:47, Jack wrote:
[...]

So I've heard. Best avoided.

Terry Coombs[_2_] June 7th 17 12:41 PM

On 6/6/2017 11:55 PM, Bod wrote:

Don't like guns, trust your government to protect you, fine. I'm not
that ****in' dumb. I could take you places and laugh when you ****
your diaper.

I have never encountered people like those.

I haven't lately now that I have no need to visit the cesspools many
large American cities have become.

I have to go to Memphis Thursday ... lately I've opted for
concealability over firepower when I feel the need to pack . Davis
Industries used to make (might still) a .38 Spl 2-shooter that would
fit nicely in the back pocket of your jeans .

--

Snag

My wife and I spent 3 days in Memphis (without a gun) about 10 years
ago and survived :-)

Our house in Memphis (that our son and his family live in) is in an
area that tourists don't go ... not the worst area but bad enough . You
were probably on/near Beale Street and the downtown area , which sees
about six times the police presence of the average neighborhood . Gotta
protect them tourons and their dollars .

--

Snag

Bod[_3_] June 7th 17 12:46 PM

On 07/06/2017 12:41, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 6/6/2017 11:55 PM, Bod wrote:

[...]

We didn't even get to Beale street, my wife wasn't feeling well at the
time, so we didn't go there. We just hung around in and near the
Heartbreak hotel.

Terry Coombs[_2_] June 7th 17 01:26 PM

On 6/6/2017 11:55 PM, Bod wrote:

[...]

You just made my point . I have had more than one experience where
being armed has changed the outcome of a situation . I've never had to
draw a weapon , just the fact that it was there changed the potential
predator's mind .

--

Snag

rbowman June 7th 17 02:35 PM

On 06/07/2017 02:57 AM, Bod wrote:
On 07/06/2017 09:47, Jack wrote:
[...]

Memphis is the same. Go to Graceland. See the Pyramid. Don't stray from
the tourist areas. The first time I was in Chicago, around 1973, the
hotel clerk said 'Enjoy your stay. Just don't go south of Roosevelt
Road.' I wanted to visit a friend at the University, which is a little
enclave south of Jungleland, so I had to traverse it.

rbowman June 7th 17 02:38 PM

On 06/07/2017 05:41 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 6/6/2017 11:55 PM, Bod wrote:

[...]

I don't know how it is post-Katrina but NO was the same deal. Enjoy the
French Quarter. Don't wander outside the cordon.