DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   shower faucet (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/589599-shower-faucet.html)

john mazzarini May 3rd 17 07:14 PM

shower faucet

my bathroom shower only seems to get hot when I turn the handle much further
than I used to. I know that I dont have a hot water problem. is it possible i
have to try and tighten the small opening on the bottom of the handle?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-1130966-.htm

philo May 3rd 17 07:22 PM

shower faucet

On 05/03/2017 01:14 PM, john mazzarini wrote:
my bathroom shower only seems to get hot when I turn the handle much
further
than I used to. I know that I dont have a hot water problem. is it
possible i
have to try and tighten the small opening on the bottom of the handle?

If it's loose, might as well tighten it

Frank[_24_] May 3rd 17 08:24 PM

shower faucet

On 5/3/2017 2:14 PM, john mazzarini wrote:
my bathroom shower only seems to get hot when I turn the handle much
further
than I used to. I know that I dont have a hot water problem. is it
possible i
have to try and tighten the small opening on the bottom of the handle?

If water heater is electric, it is possible one element has failed.

Bill[_47_] May 3rd 17 08:55 PM

shower faucet

Frank wrote:
On 5/3/2017 2:14 PM, john mazzarini wrote:
my bathroom shower only seems to get hot when I turn the handle much
further
than I used to. I know that I dont have a hot water problem. is it
possible i
have to try and tighten the small opening on the bottom of the handle?

If water heater is electric, it is possible one element has failed.

I had my *gas* h.w. heater on low setting for safety and efficiency.
After 5 or 6 years, it started not providing as much hot water (rather
like the OP's problem). Incrementing the setting to a higher
temperature made everyone happy... Even though I have a water purifier,
I suspect that the issue, at least in my case, is related to calcium
buildup.

Meanie[_6_] May 4th 17 12:01 AM

shower faucet

On 5/3/2017 2:14 PM, john mazzarini wrote:
my bathroom shower only seems to get hot when I turn the handle much
further
than I used to. I know that I dont have a hot water problem. is it
possible i
have to try and tighten the small opening on the bottom of the handle?

I had a similar problem. It was cooler at the same spot I position the
handle. I discovered the wife reduced the temp on the water heater. Damn
woman.

philo May 4th 17 12:44 AM

shower faucet

On 05/03/2017 06:01 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 5/3/2017 2:14 PM, john mazzarini wrote:
my bathroom shower only seems to get hot when I turn the handle much
further
than I used to. I know that I dont have a hot water problem. is it
possible i
have to try and tighten the small opening on the bottom of the handle?

I had a similar problem. It was cooler at the same spot I position the
handle. I discovered the wife reduced the temp on the water heater. Damn
woman.

Just remembered something.

After many years of use I had to turn the heat setting up slightly
because the heater was not getting quite as hot. Might have been a build
up of calcium on the inside. It only needed a slight increase and I
think I still have it a bit below the recommended "normal" setting.

Frank[_24_] May 4th 17 01:15 AM

shower faucet

On 5/3/2017 3:55 PM, Bill wrote:
Frank wrote:
On 5/3/2017 2:14 PM, john mazzarini wrote:
my bathroom shower only seems to get hot when I turn the handle much
further
than I used to. I know that I dont have a hot water problem. is it
possible i
have to try and tighten the small opening on the bottom of the handle?

If water heater is electric, it is possible one element has failed.

I had my *gas* h.w. heater on low setting for safety and efficiency.
After 5 or 6 years, it started not providing as much hot water (rather
like the OP's problem). Incrementing the setting to a higher
temperature made everyone happy... Even though I have a water purifier,
I suspect that the issue, at least in my case, is related to calcium
buildup.

Now you have me thinking. I needed a new tank a few months ago as old
was leaking. Water is hotter/set hotter but now wondering if the old
one had not gradually decreased heat with age due to build up and we did
not notice it.

Bill[_47_] May 4th 17 02:34 PM

shower faucet

Frank wrote:
On 5/3/2017 3:55 PM, Bill wrote:
Frank wrote:
[...]

If you have a lot of calcium in your water, then this is most certainly
true (unless you "flush" them periodically). I watched one being
flushed once, and an "amazing" amount of calcium came out. That one did
not have a water softener in front of it, as the one I have at my
location now does. Good luck with your new hot water heater!

Bill

[email protected] May 4th 17 04:48 PM

shower faucet

On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 6:35:34 AM UTC-7, Bill wrote:
Frank wrote:
On 5/3/2017 3:55 PM, Bill wrote:
Frank wrote:
[...]

Flushing the tank should be the last thing you do before replacing it.

Frank[_24_] May 4th 17 05:09 PM

shower faucet

On 5/4/2017 9:34 AM, Bill wrote:
Frank wrote:
On 5/3/2017 3:55 PM, Bill wrote:
Frank wrote:
[...]

I've got well water with only a sediment filter. Water was analyzed and
I felt too borderline to treat. Water is slightly acidic, pH ~6, and
electric water heaters are lucky to last past 7 year warranty. I asked
plumber if it were worth changing anode after a few years and he said he
did not think so. I drain a couple of gallons every now and then but
don't see much sediment.

Oren[_2_] May 4th 17 05:40 PM

shower faucet

On Thu, 4 May 2017 08:48:21 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Flushing the tank should be the last thing you do before replacing it.

Actually the first thing. Makes it easier to lift out. The only WH I
every drained, started having trouble shortly after. I leave them
alone and change them when they leak.