Dan Hartung

Default Air hose seal

The air hose connected to a propane-style air tank is hissing at the
screw threads. I've tried tightening the nut and nothing. I suppose I
should take it out and add some kind of sealant, but what? The tank
valve measures hundreds of pounds, but I have no idea what the tank is
really "good" for, and I never get it more than 100lb full (just about
what the 2-minute run time at the local Mobil gets me).

Tom

Dan Hartung wrote:The air hose connected to a propane-style air tank is
hissing at the
screw threads. I've tried tightening the nut and nothing. I suppose I
should take it out and add some kind of sealant, but what?

Take a look for a damaged O ring. Tom

Work at your leisure!

Tony Hwang

Bonehenge wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:55:07 -0500, Dan Hartung
wrote:

The air hose connected to a propane-style air tank is hissing at the
screw threads. I've tried tightening the nut and nothing. I suppose I
should take it out and add some kind of sealant, but what?

Teflon tape?

Barry

Hi,
Or isn't there a crayon type(putty? paste?) sealant?
Tony

SQLit

"Dan Hartung" wrote in message
The air hose connected to a propane-style air tank is hissing at the
screw threads. I've tried tightening the nut and nothing. I suppose I
should take it out and add some kind of sealant, but what? The tank
valve measures hundreds of pounds, but I have no idea what the tank is
really "good" for, and I never get it more than 100lb full (just about
what the 2-minute run time at the local Mobil gets me).

Teflon tape or plumbers dope on the threads.

Dan Hartung

SQLit wrote:
Teflon tape or plumbers dope on the threads.

Ah, so *that's* what that stuff is for.

NoOne N Particular

Question -

Is it really the hose that is leaking? It sounds like you have a hose
connected to a gauge and/or regulator, and the gauge is then connected to
the valve which is connected to the tank.

I am not an expert in this area, but the propane type tanks that I have used
have a hose that screws into a regulator, and the regualtor then screws into
the tank valve. It sounds like you have replaced the regulator with a
pressure indicator, but this connection should still use a contoured brass
fitting to attach to the tank valve. The pressure regulators attach to the
tank valve using a brass-to-brass connection and don't have o-rings or other
sealants. If I remember correctly, you are not supposed to use any sealants
on these, but that is when using propane. If this gets dirty or damaged it
could leak there. I am assuming that the pressure indicator would use the
same type of connection. If your tank does not use this type of connector
and just has pipe threads, then a sealant such as teflon tape may do the
job.

Next, if the pressure indicator is like the one on my air compressor tank,
it could have a small leak. I have heard other posts where the air pressure
gauge makes a very low hissing sound as air leaks out of the gauge. It
takes about 16-20 hours of leaking before the pressure drops from 120 psi
down to 90 psi to cause the compressor to rebuild pressure so I haven't
taken the time to see about fixing it. My son's air compressor does the
same thing.

Lastly, if it truly is the air hose connected to the pressure regulator then
teflon tape might do it. I say might because it is possible that you may
have a bad connector and the leak could be coming from the connectOR and not
the connectION.

Hope this helps,

Wayne

"Dan Hartung" wrote in message
The air hose connected to a propane-style air tank is hissing at the
screw threads. I've tried tightening the nut and nothing. I suppose I
should take it out and add some kind of sealant, but what? The tank
valve measures hundreds of pounds, but I have no idea what the tank is
really "good" for, and I never get it more than 100lb full (just about
what the 2-minute run time at the local Mobil gets me).

Stormin Mormon

I've got a couple tank conversions from back in the good old
days. The over pressure valves start working at 170 PSI on
mine.

The tank is good for well, seriously over 200#.

Try teflon tape, and then paint Rectorseal #5 on the pipe
threads (not the internal threads) and then crank it
together.

If you're willing to tolerate permanant, two part epoxy will
do, just don't pressurize the tank for 24 hours.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus