WOODWRKRz

Default Technetic 1000 maintenace questio

I had a Technetic 1000 water softener installed in my house in 1994. All I
have had to do is feed it salt for the last 10 years. I am on a private well,
the unit is programmed for a hardness setting of 18 and 3.4 lbs of salt per
regeneration, I do have a little iron in the water. I use the green bag of
morton salt pellets. The unit seems to be working fine up to now, although I
occaisionally I have had some iron come thru the system. My questions; Is
there any periodic maintenance I should have been doing? Is there any iron
treatment I could put in with the salt to help clean up any iron or other junk
in the resin bed? My brother recently gave me a 50lb box of resin beads he had
purchased for a Sears softener but never used. Should I consider changing out
the resin after all these years of service (we are a family of 6 and use about
400 gallons of water a day.)