Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Car aircon in winter

I've just repaired my car aircon (rusted pipe, big leak) and filled it with one can of gas (to 31.5 PSI - although the instructions say it should be 33-38). The compressor now spins (it didn't when empty), and I can hear a load on the engine. However it's 8C outside and the air blowing into the car I think is maybe slightly cooler, not sure. Should it be able to cool 8C air any lower?

I just had the sense to use a thermometer. Max fan to the windscreen vents, AC off, I read 16C (odd as it's 10C on my garden thermometer and 8C on my car's outside thermometer). Anyway, turn AC on, drops to 12C. Is a drop from 16C to 12C ok? I've heard that they have thermostats to stop it blowing freezing cold air. Maybe it'll still blow 12C when it's 25C outside? Anyone got readings they can compare this with from their own car?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've just repaired my car aircon (rusted pipe, big leak) and filled it
with one can of gas (to 31.5 PSI - although the instructions say it
should be 33-38). The compressor now spins (it didn't when empty), and
I can hear a load on the engine. However it's 8C outside and the air
blowing into the car I think is maybe slightly cooler, not sure. Should
it be able to cool 8C air any lower?

Is that one of the used cars you bought to avoid depreciation?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've just repaired my car aircon (rusted pipe, big leak) and filled it
with one can of gas (to 31.5 PSI - although the instructions say it
should be 33-38). The compressor now spins (it didn't when empty), and
I can hear a load on the engine. However it's 8C outside and the air
blowing into the car I think is maybe slightly cooler, not sure. Should
it be able to cool 8C air any lower?

I just had the sense to use a thermometer. Max fan to the windscreen
vents, AC off, I read 16C (odd as it's 10C on my garden thermometer and
8C on my car's outside thermometer). Anyway, turn AC on, drops to 12C.
Is a drop from 16C to 12C ok? I've heard that they have thermostats to
stop it blowing freezing cold air. Maybe it'll still blow 12C when it's
25C outside? Anyone got readings they can compare this with from their
own car?

I've not kept up with newer units. Used to be a limit around 5C to
avoid coil freeze up.

As for pressure, that may be up come summer time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 20:45:01 -0000, rbowman wrote:

I've just repaired my car aircon (rusted pipe, big leak) and filled it
with one can of gas (to 31.5 PSI - although the instructions say it
should be 33-38). The compressor now spins (it didn't when empty), and
I can hear a load on the engine. However it's 8C outside and the air
blowing into the car I think is maybe slightly cooler, not sure. Should
it be able to cool 8C air any lower?

Is that one of the used cars you bought to avoid depreciation?

Repairing the aircon costs a lot less than the several grand people lose on a new car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 21:29:32 -0000, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

I'll just leave it, it's cooling a little. If it's insufficient in summer, I'll recheck the pressure and add more gas.

--
Love conquers all, except in tennis.

Car aircon in winter James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] UK diy 10 March 20th 17 12:51 PM
Aircon Andrew Gabriel UK diy 14 October 8th 08 12:03 AM
DIY aircon monopix UK diy 5 April 29th 07 12:19 AM
Aircon. see me Home Repair 10 October 5th 06 01:30 AM