Posted to alt.home.repair

Default doors

Good Morning All,

Installing a set of trackless bi-folds in an opening that currently has
carpeting. I could pull back the carpeting but Id rather not.
Looking ahead I can imagine shimming the doors into the jam
could be a problem with a carpet surface.

Im thinking of laying some masonite to give the shims something a
little firmer to wedge against. Could perhaps then wedge the top flush up
against the head jam rather than shooting for gap...

Any one whose dealt with this before care to share there technique? The books
Ive got dont get into details like this.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/18/2017 07:44 AM, Jim wrote:
Good Morning All,

Installing a set of trackless bi-folds in an opening that currently has
carpeting. I could pull back the carpeting but Id rather not.
Looking ahead I can imagine shimming the doors into the jam
could be a problem with a carpet surface.

Im thinking of laying some masonite to give the shims something a
little firmer to wedge against. Could perhaps then wedge the top flush up
against the head jam rather than shooting for gap...

Any one whose dealt with this before care to share there technique? The
books
Ive got dont get into details like this.

TIA

If the doors rub against the carpeting, just cut a little off the bottom
with a circular saw. Just be sure to put masking tape on the door so the
saw does not leave marks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 09:39:56 -0500, philo wrote:

On 03/18/2017 07:44 AM, Jim wrote:
Good Morning All,

Installing a set of trackless bi-folds in an opening that currently has
carpeting. I could pull back the carpeting but Id rather not.
Looking ahead I can imagine shimming the doors into the jam
could be a problem with a carpet surface.

Im thinking of laying some masonite to give the shims something a
little firmer to wedge against. Could perhaps then wedge the top flush up
against the head jam rather than shooting for gap...

Any one whose dealt with this before care to share there technique? The
books
Ive got dont get into details like this.

TIA

If the doors rub against the carpeting, just cut a little off the bottom
with a circular saw. Just be sure to put masking tape on the door so the
saw does not leave marks.

I can't picture this project exactly. OP could lay a 1 x 4 on the
floor, set the doors on the wood, then mount the doors. If he has the
head room at the top. That would give clearance on the bottom.