Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.home.repair,alt.support.depression.flame

Default Concerning the Vocative

On Mon, 6 Mar 2017 05:48:51 -0800, "Colon Edmund J. Burke"
wrote:

On 3/2/2017 10:29 PM, David Amicus wrote:
I thought if a noun ended in -ius rather than just -us it did
not have a vocative form. Thus there is Brute but Julius stays Julius.

However this shows the vocative of Scorpius as Scorpie.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/scorpius

It's a conundrum at best, Amicus. Julius Ceasefire once said, "I speak
in Latin, but I speak with forked tongue." Julius also ate at the "Y."

It's not a conundrum at all, KKKoloon, o ignorame.

"The vocative case presents little problem for English speakers. It is
usually the same as the nominative, as in English, and it is used when
you address someone directly. The exceptions to the rule that the
vocative is the same as the nominative are summarized in the phrase,
Marce mi fili, which is the vocative for Marcus meus filius, and is a
convenient way to remember that all 2nd declension nouns in -us, have
a vocative in -e, that the vocative of meus is mi, and that all 2nd
declension nouns in -ius have a vocative in -i."

https://classics.osu.edu/Undergradua...ses/latin-case
Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.home.repair,alt.support.depression.flame

wrote:

[...]

I see, Miss Recktum. So when I say "**** Orf!" I'm using the vocative.