Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mobile home skirting damage

Some of the plastic (fiberglass?) skirting pieces around my mobile home
have small (1" dia. or so) in them. From hitting by weed cutter cord,
though I doubt it. Probably just decades of weather.

Anyhow, any ideas of something easy to put over the holes, not too obvious?
Save me a ton of money and work.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Some of the plastic (fiberglass?) skirting pieces around my mobile home
have small (1" dia. or so) in them. From hitting by weed cutter cord,
though I doubt it. Probably just decades of weather.
Anyhow, any ideas of something easy to put over the holes, not too obvious?
Save me a ton of money and work.
TIA

Epoxy is good and it comes in several colors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/23/17 11:26 AM, KenK wrote:
Some of the plastic (fiberglass?) skirting pieces around my mobile
home have small (1" dia. or so) in them. From hitting by weed cutter
cord, though I doubt it. Probably just decades of weather.

Anyhow, any ideas of something easy to put over the holes, not too
obvious? Save me a ton of money and work.

TIA

Vinyl siding? Lots of crawling but wouldn't the patches be less
obvious if you do them from the inside?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Feb 2017 17:26:25 GMT, KenK wrote:

Some of the plastic (fiberglass?) skirting pieces around my mobile home
have small (1" dia. or so) in them. From hitting by weed cutter cord,
though I doubt it. Probably just decades of weather.

Anyhow, any ideas of something easy to put over the holes, not too obvious?
Save me a ton of money and work.

TIA

Bondo from an auto store, then a spray with Krylon paint - matching
color? http://www.krylon.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"cowabunga dude" wrote in
:

wrote:
Some of the plastic (fiberglass?) skirting pieces around my mobile
home have small (1" dia. or so) in them. From hitting by weed cutter
cord, though I doubt it. Probably just decades of weather.
Anyhow, any ideas of something easy to put over the holes, not too
obvious? Save me a ton of money and work.
TIA

Epoxy is good and it comes in several colors.

Thanks.

Epoxy what? I need small sheets of something to cover the holes, then
maybe epoxy that to the skirting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Hoffman wrote in news8nvjg$1rt2$1
@gioia.aioe.org:

On 2/23/17 11:26 AM, KenK wrote:
Some of the plastic (fiberglass?) skirting pieces around my mobile
home have small (1" dia. or so) in them. From hitting by weed cutter
cord, though I doubt it. Probably just decades of weather.

Anyhow, any ideas of something easy to put over the holes, not too
obvious? Save me a ton of money and work.

TIA

Vinyl siding?

I'm unfamiliar with a lot of that material. Example of vinyl siding
please? How does to come - large pieces?

Lots of crawling but wouldn't the patches be less
obvious if you do them from the inside?

Simple, but didn't think of that! Now to find something to put over the
holes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

On 23 Feb 2017 17:26:25 GMT, KenK wrote:

Some of the plastic (fiberglass?) skirting pieces around my mobile
home have small (1" dia. or so) in them. From hitting by weed cutter
cord, though I doubt it. Probably just decades of weather.

Anyhow, any ideas of something easy to put over the holes, not too
obvious? Save me a ton of money and work.

TIA

Bondo from an auto store, then a spray with Krylon paint - matching
color? http://www.krylon.com/

What's Bondo? Heard the name a few times but that's all I know. Small
sheets of material for covering rust holes in car fenders, etc.?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 24 Feb 2017 17:49:31 GMT, KenK wrote:

Oren wrote in
:

On 23 Feb 2017 17:26:25 GMT, KenK wrote:

Some of the plastic (fiberglass?) skirting pieces around my mobile
home have small (1" dia. or so) in them. From hitting by weed cutter
cord, though I doubt it. Probably just decades of weather.

Anyhow, any ideas of something easy to put over the holes, not too
obvious? Save me a ton of money and work.

TIA

Bondo from an auto store, then a spray with Krylon paint - matching
color? http://www.krylon.com/

What's Bondo? Heard the name a few times but that's all I know. Small
sheets of material for covering rust holes in car fenders, etc.?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bondo_(putty)

http://bondo.com/#yEDuqkuqxjyhCely.97
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/23/17 11:26 AM, KenK wrote:
Some of the plastic (fiberglass?) skirting pieces around my mobile
home have small (1" dia. or so) in them. From hitting by weed cutter
cord, though I doubt it. Probably just decades of weather.

Anyhow, any ideas of something easy to put over the holes, not too
obvious? Save me a ton of money and work.

TIA

Vinyl siding?

I'm unfamiliar with a lot of that material. Example of vinyl siding
please? How does to come - large pieces?

Lots of crawling but wouldn't the patches be less
obvious if you do them from the inside?

Simple, but didn't think of that! Now to find something to put over the
holes.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cellwood-Progressions-Double-4-in-Khaki-Vinyl-Siding-PG40N4H/202666252
I think one can buy single pieces. The pieces are about ten feet
long if I remember correctly. You could probably buy a single piece
and cut it in two at the store to get it home. Tin snips will cut it.
It comes in many colors so you should be able to find something close.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 5:09:58 PM UTC-6, Dean Hoffman wrote:

On 2/23/17 11:26 AM, KenK wrote:
Some of the plastic (fiberglass?) skirting pieces around my mobile
home have small (1" dia. or so) in them. From hitting by weed cutter
cord, though I doubt it. Probably just decades of weather.

Anyhow, any ideas of something easy to put over the holes, not too
obvious? Save me a ton of money and work.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cellwood-Progressions-Double-4-in-Khaki-Vinyl-Siding-PG40N4H/202666252
I think one can buy single pieces. The pieces are about ten feet
long if I remember correctly. You could probably buy a single piece
and cut it in two at the store to get it home. Tin snips will cut it.
It comes in many colors so you should be able to find something close.

I agree with Dean. A friend had a mobile home several years ago and
he had the same problem with rocks from weed eating and mowing knocking
holes in the skirting. Only thing to be done is replace the damaged
areas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/23/17 11:26 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

Not to pick a nit, but Ken is saying "skirting" which in not the same
as "siding" in Dean's link. Skirting can be vertical or horizontal
slats ~ 4 inches wide with a minor space between.

https://tinyurl.com/hzryr3q
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/24/17 5:43 PM, Oren wrote:

Not to pick a nit, but Ken is saying "skirting" which in not the
same as "siding" in Dean's link. Skirting can be vertical or
horizontal slats ~ 4 inches wide with a minor space between.

https://tinyurl.com/hzryr3q

The skirting pieces are actually a couple feet wide, at least on
my house. One has to cut them the right height then slide the latest
one into line. One side of the piece might 27" while the other side is
30".
I've done only my house so can't say anything beyond this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Feb 2017 18:01:14 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 2/24/17 5:43 PM, Oren wrote:

Not to pick a nit, but Ken is saying "skirting" which in not the
same as "siding" in Dean's link. Skirting can be vertical or
horizontal slats ~ 4 inches wide with a minor space between.

https://tinyurl.com/hzryr3q

The skirting pieces are actually a couple feet wide, at least on
my house. One has to cut them the right height then slide the latest
one into line. One side of the piece might 27" while the other side is
30".
I've done only my house so can't say anything beyond this.

I've seen skirting that was cut from sheet of trellis material. Can be
in sections, removable for storage under the home. Read once a person
used bails of hay for insulation to keep the cold out from under the
home.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/24/17 5:43 PM, Oren wrote:

Not to pick a nit, but Ken is saying "skirting" which in not the
same as "siding" in Dean's link. Skirting can be vertical or
horizontal slats ~ 4 inches wide with a minor space between.

https://tinyurl.com/hzryr3q

The skirting pieces are actually a couple feet wide, at least
on my house. One has to cut them the right height then slide the
latest one into line. One side of the piece might 27" while the
other side is 30".
I've done only my house so can't say anything beyond this.

I've seen skirting that was cut from sheet of trellis material. Can be
in sections, removable for storage under the home. Read once a person
used bails of hay for insulation to keep the cold out from under the
home.

Hay bales are not recommended , they attract mice .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 7:05:37 PM UTC-6, Oren wrote:

I've seen skirting that was cut from sheet of trellis material. Can be
in sections, removable for storage under the home. Read once a person
used bails of hay for insulation to keep the cold out from under the
home.

Good idea with the hay bales as a person would surely need them
in a colder climate to keep pipes from freezing.

My friend did cut a small opening in his skirting and put a
'cat house' under his mobile home for his cat. He also wired
it for a light bulb to keep her warm in the winter. But he
did gripe once as he couldn't understand why she wouldn't stay
in her nice house more than a few minutes even in the bitterest
weather. I asked what wattage the bulb was and he said it was
a 100 watt!! I told him he was cooking her and in that nice
little box he'd made for her house all he needed was something
like a 15 watt to no larger than a 25 watt bulb. He changed
it to a much lower wattage bulb and she was toasty without
being cooked.

:-))

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Feb 2017 20:24:23 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

[...]

I hate to see a pussy suffer. They need attention.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/24/17 7:05 PM, Oren wrote:

I've seen skirting that was cut from sheet of trellis material. Can be
in sections, removable for storage under the home. Read once a person
used bails of hay for insulation to keep the cold out from under the
home.

A wise old co-worker gave me a headzup on that. I glued 2"
polystyrene
against the skirting. My dad suggested burying the bottom rail a couple
inches
deep to seal it all.
Nebraska doesn't have the coldest winters by any means but I don't need
heat tape. That eliminates one potential fire hazard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

[...]

Yes, they need frequent attention, warming and petting.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK posted for all of us...

Oren wrote in
:

On 23 Feb 2017 17:26:25 GMT, KenK wrote:

Some of the plastic (fiberglass?) skirting pieces around my mobile
home have small (1" dia. or so) in them. From hitting by weed cutter
cord, though I doubt it. Probably just decades of weather.

Anyhow, any ideas of something easy to put over the holes, not too
obvious? Save me a ton of money and work.

TIA

Bondo from an auto store, then a spray with Krylon paint - matching
color? http://www.krylon.com/

What's Bondo? Heard the name a few times but that's all I know. Small
sheets of material for covering rust holes in car fenders, etc.?

Geez Ken, don't do much research do you?

--
Tekkie