DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Insulation type (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/585573-insulation-type.html)

rob oconnor February 7th 17 09:44 PM

Insulation type

Hi, I started to finish the basement. One wall I only put up 2 inch foam board
on the concrete wall as this is where the utilities are. Town wants the foam
covered with sheetrock. So, I framed another 2X4 wall in front of the foam,
question is do I install faced or not fiberglass in the new wall? Attached is
a sketch. Cellar is dry, summer I use a dehumidifier at about 40%. I live in
Ct. Thanks

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1123410-.htm

Wade Garrett February 8th 17 12:16 AM

Insulation type

On 2/7/17 4:44 PM, rob oconnor wrote:
Hi, I started to finish the basement. One wall I only put up 2 inch foam
board
on the concrete wall as this is where the utilities are. Town wants the
foam
covered with sheetrock. So, I framed another 2X4 wall in front of the
foam,
question is do I install faced or not fiberglass in the new wall?
Attached is
a sketch. Cellar is dry, summer I use a dehumidifier at about 40%. I
live in
Ct. Thanks

Why did you tell a governmental body that you are doing work in your
basement? What business is it of theirs?

--
Somewhere along the line, politicians discovered it's more fun to tell
people how to live than it is to fix potholes.

Jon Danniken[_7_] February 8th 17 01:14 AM

Insulation type

On 02/07/2017 01:44 PM, rob oconnor wrote:
Hi, I started to finish the basement. One wall I only put up 2 inch foam
board
on the concrete wall as this is where the utilities are. Town wants the
foam
covered with sheetrock. So, I framed another 2X4 wall in front of the
foam,
question is do I install faced or not fiberglass in the new wall?
Attached is
a sketch. Cellar is dry, summer I use a dehumidifier at about 40%. I
live in
Ct. Thanks

The general rule is to only have one vapor barrier, so your facing
choice depends on whether or not your foam board is a vapor barrier.

Jon

Ed Pawlowski February 8th 17 01:46 AM

Insulation type

On 2/7/2017 8:14 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 02/07/2017 01:44 PM, rob oconnor wrote:
Hi, I started to finish the basement. One wall I only put up 2 inch foam
board
on the concrete wall as this is where the utilities are. Town wants the
foam
covered with sheetrock. So, I framed another 2X4 wall in front of the
foam,
question is do I install faced or not fiberglass in the new wall?
Attached is
a sketch. Cellar is dry, summer I use a dehumidifier at about 40%. I
live in
Ct. Thanks

The general rule is to only have one vapor barrier, so your facing
choice depends on whether or not your foam board is a vapor barrier.

Jon

Easier way www.insofast.com
No framing needed

Buzz Hertz February 8th 17 09:38 AM

Insulation type

On 02/07/2017 07:16 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 2/7/17 4:44 PM, rob oconnor wrote:
Hi, I started to finish the basement. One wall I only put up 2 inch foam
board
on the concrete wall as this is where the utilities are. Town wants the
foam
covered with sheetrock. So, I framed another 2X4 wall in front of the
foam,
question is do I install faced or not fiberglass in the new wall?
Attached is
a sketch. Cellar is dry, summer I use a dehumidifier at about 40%. I
live in
Ct. Thanks

Why did you tell a governmental body that you are doing work in your
basement? What business is it of theirs?

His Vizio Smart TV reported him.

trader_4 February 8th 17 03:14 PM

Insulation type

On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 8:14:18 PM UTC-5, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 02/07/2017 01:44 PM, rob oconnor wrote:
Hi, I started to finish the basement. One wall I only put up 2 inch foam
board
on the concrete wall as this is where the utilities are. Town wants the
foam
covered with sheetrock. So, I framed another 2X4 wall in front of the
foam,
question is do I install faced or not fiberglass in the new wall?
Attached is
a sketch. Cellar is dry, summer I use a dehumidifier at about 40%. I
live in
Ct. Thanks

The general rule is to only have one vapor barrier, so your facing
choice depends on whether or not your foam board is a vapor barrier.

Jon

Agree and if the new insulation is the one with the barrier, it should
face inside the basement.

gregz February 9th 17 08:09 AM

Insulation type

rob oconnor m wrote:
Hi, I started to finish the basement. One wall I only put up 2 inch foam board
on the concrete wall as this is where the utilities are. Town wants the foam
covered with sheetrock. So, I framed another 2X4 wall in front of the foam,
question is do I install faced or not fiberglass in the new wall? Attached is
a sketch. Cellar is dry, summer I use a dehumidifier at about 40%. I live in
Ct. Thanks

I don't see schetch. I worry more about moisture from wall, not room. The
foam should be enough break, so I would not want to make a non breathable
section. No facing, or facing near foam.

Greg